***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***

123,183 Views | 2669 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by PatAg
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The 2024 season starts tomorrow at 5pm (or really July 1, but whatever)!

New beginnings are great because we don't need to discuss anything that happened before. Nothing at all disappointing or frustrating or crazy happened anyways! It was a smooooth ride all the way up to this point.

So lets get this started! Mavs checked all the boxes on draft night and secured an interior rim protector and a perimeter wing defender with big upside. This gives them some flexibility heading into FA since they (should) have the full MLE at their disposal!

Kyrie is a UFA but unless he's signing for an MLE, Dallas is about the only team that could offer him anything close to a max offer while being a playoff contender. Nico is slowly winning me over. I have tentative faith he can get this done in a way that both sides are happy.

Jason Kidd is still the coach. Don't really want to say anything more.

Josh Green and Jaden Hardy look primed to take significant strides this season! If they're able to replicate what THJ and Bullock can do, then the Mavs may have something real to build on!

Summer league is right around the corner, then it's off to preseason land! Lets go!

Zachary Klement
AG
Page juan!
shack009
AG
Summer League gonna be lit.
zgolfz85
AG
in before guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
Vinny
Kyrie is reportedly meeting with the Suns at the start of FA. Not sweating this much as he's either taking a HUGE paycut or it's a potential sign and trade if he wants to go there.
Guitarsoup
AG
Vinny said:

Kyrie is reportedly meeting with the Suns at the start of FA. Not sweating this much as he's either taking a HUGE paycut or it's a potential sign and trade if he wants to go there.

Mavs would have to agree to a S&T.

Mavs say: we don't want Ayton.

Suns have no options
shack009
AG
Kyrie for Book.
Vinny
Yea, it's a bad leverage play on Kyrie's part. The Suns are probably the worst team in the NBA for him to talk to.
Guitarsoup
AG
Vinny said:

Yea, it's a bad leverage play on Kyrie's part. The Suns are probably the worst team in the NBA for him to talk to.

Utah would make some sense, but I don't think Ainge wants him back.
M.C. Swag
AG
They would still be hard capped at the 1st apron. They can't make this happen even if Dallas agreed to take Ayton. The only way it's possible is if Kyrie signs for way way less money.
M.C. Swag
AG
Vinny said:

Lol I'm imagining Kyrie in his negotiations; "So the Suns are offering me $4m. I'm gonna need you to up your offer."
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Kyrie for Book.
this or GTFO
M.C. Swag
AG
Lol that last line sums up this insanity perfectly

NoahAg
Page 1.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Mavs meeting with Bruce Brown according to MacMahon.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Mavs meeting with Bruce Brown according to MacMahon.

Seems to be a lot buzz about Lakers giving him full mle
shack009
AG
Drummond picked up his option, so he won't be the most expensive personal trainer in the Metroplex.
shack009
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
The Knicks have a lot of great assets but I don't know what the clippers are going to give up. They don't have a draft pick for several years.

Norman Powell has like 3 years 55 million remaining.

What 35 million combination of players makes Philadelphia better?
shack009
AG

This account only has 28k followers, so not sure how credible they actually are.
MW03
AG
Harden trying to get money now before the next round of FA with the new rules or what?
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

This account only has 28k followers, so not sure how credible they actually are.
they're another team that could only do a sign and trade, right?
shack009
AG
Yeah, they already have $155 million tied up in Jimmy, Bam, Lowry, Herro, and Duncan Robinson.

I'd have to get at least Caleb Martin, Jovic, and Herro (really not even sure I want Herro). Miami will always be decent to good, so it's not like any of their draft picks are valuable.

Unless they want to give up Bam, I don't see a path for a Miami trade.
zgolfz85
AG
shack009 said:

Yeah, they already have $155 million tied up in Jimmy, Bam, Lowry, Herro, and Duncan Robinson.

I'd have to get at least Caleb Martin, Jovic, and Herro (really not even sure I want Herro). Miami will always be decent to good, so it's not like any of their draft picks are valuable.

Unless they want to give up Bam, I don't see a path for a Miami trade.
agreed, I'd take bam in a heartbeat. they'd never part with him though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Everyone would take Bam.

If you wanna work with them, you get Herro and salary filler.

Caleb Martin+ Herro = 34mm
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever
AG
I think we are getting brown. I also hope we are getting brown.
Guitarsoup
AG

I just gave Kyrie a 4y144 (36mm/year) contract b/c it was easy and IDGAF. Just playing around with what contracts are under books.

Then add whatever draft picks are appropriate.

Lively/Holmes
OMAX/Maxi/Jovic
THJ/Green/Jaquez
Herro/Hardy/Caleb Martin
Luka/Bruce Brown

Still need help down low, but have a lot of wing depth and a lot of players that can be easily moved.

Miami gets their big four of Bam, Jimmy, Kyrie, JaVale.
mavsfan4ever
AG
I am a big jaquez fan. But still no thinks on trading Kyrie unless we get at least a first round pick.
zgolfz85
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

I am a big jaquez fan. But still no thinks on trading Kyrie unless we get at least a first round pick.

Yeah I think jaquez is going to be a really good nba player and love his game, but I wouldn't do that trade. I also wouldn't be mad about it, just wouldn't do it
shack009
AG
It's Miami. Their first round picks are not valuable because they will always be decent, at worst, with Spo as their coach.
NoahAg
I want Kyrie!!
Guitarsoup
AG
mavsfan4ever said:

Its kind of a weird situation, because you usually don't get a ton of compensation for a S&T, but no one that can sign him wants him and teams that want him don't have the ability to sign him. Definitely possible to squeeze out a first, but you could also easily trade Jacquez or Martin for a first. I have no clue what Miami is really thinking, but they definitely would prefer to move Lowry, too, which is a non-starter.
shack009
AG
The entire rumor also started from a weird twitter account, not from any reputable NBA insiders. We probably don't need to worry about it until one of the big boys puts it out there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.