***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,456 Views | 3303 Replies
gigem1223
2:59p, 2/10/24
In reply to Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525 said:

9 points total halfway through the 2nd. Why are we so bad with big leads?

Coaching
shack009
3:03p, 2/10/24
That weak side rim protection from Gafford.
shack009
3:04p, 2/10/24
In reply to gigem1223
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coaching

It's a little of that but it's also that the mavs were shooting 100% from 3 for a while. OKC started making 3s and we started missing. It's a lot of what the game is today.
shack009
3:09p, 2/10/24
I love Jalen Williams. OKC got a good one

Edit for proper Williams
shack009
3:15p, 2/10/24
PJ has missed a couple open corner 3s. Would have loved for 1 to go down for some sky high confidence.
Grapesoda2525
3:15p, 2/10/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Edit for proper Williams
OKC could be a scary team in the future with all of their draft picks that they've assembled.
zgolfz85
3:21p, 2/10/24
In reply to gigem1223
gigem1223 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Coaching

This
shack009
3:27p, 2/10/24
Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

Edit for proper Williams
OKC could be a scary team in the future with all of their draft picks that they've assembled.

I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger move at the deadline with all their draft capital. Probably the smarter long term move though.
shack009
3:33p, 2/10/24
Team basketball.
Guitarsoup
3:42p, 2/10/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

Edit for proper Williams

I'm surprised they didn't make a bigger move at the deadline with all their draft capital. Probably the smarter long term move though.
it is kind of interesting that because so few teams own so many picks, (I think the number is 11 teams owned 75% of the tradable picks) that the only pick that was outright traded was the OKC pick traded to Charlotte via Dallas.

What OKC really needed was frontcourt help, and I don't think any of the bigs that were in the trade board were good fits. You don't put Andre Drummond on that team.

OKC gets Houston's 1st this year (top 4 protected) and Utah's 1st (top 10 protected) and the Clippers 1st (unprotected) so I can see them going after someone like Kyle Filipowski or Donovan Clingan and still having the ability to trade.

The trade deadline was kind of trash for post players, so I can see saving the powder until the off-season, especially with Gordon Hawyard coming off his big contract. They could theoretically get to like 40M in cap space if they really wanted to this offseason.
shack009
3:54p, 2/10/24
Gafford's interior rim presence and rebounding is such a breath of fresh air.
shack009
3:56p, 2/10/24
Mavs haven't had a guy who can just grab a rebound over people so watching Lively this season and Gafford today makes me so happy.
shack009
3:59p, 2/10/24
Gafford again.
gigem1223
4:00p, 2/10/24
Small sample size but this team looks dangerous with the new additions. Sooo much deeper and better at the rim, especially once lively comes back.
shack009
4:07p, 2/10/24
In reply to gigem1223
gigem1223 said:

Small sample size but this team looks dangerous with the new additions. Sooo much deeper and better at the rim, especially once lively comes back.

The defense and rebounding from the new guys has been incredible. PJ attacking close outs and scoring and facilitating has been awesome. Trying not to get too excited, but how can you not love what you have seen from this team today?
shack009
4:13p, 2/10/24
Gotta give J Kidd props where due. The strategy was to leave Giddy open in the corner and Giddy made the coaches look smart today.
hph6203
4:27p, 2/10/24
Get healthy, stay healthy and this team can be a really tough out.
Guitarsoup
4:28p, 2/10/24
Which team helped itself the most during this trade-deadline cycle?
David Aldridge: Dallas. Most people don't watch the Washington Wizards regularly, and I get that. But I do, and Daniel Gafford has been Washington's best player this season. (I know "best" is doing a lot of work in that sentence.)
He's a great finisher on lobs; Luka Doni and Kyrie Irving will love tossing it up high to him; he has very good hands. When he shoots, he doesn't miss; he's top 10 in the league among regular rotation players in both effective field goal percentage and true shooting percentage. He attacks the offensive glass. He's undersized, but he battles on every defensive possession.

Darnell Mayberry: I love the aggressiveness the Mavs continue to show. They have a generational talent in Doni, who's having an amazing season, and aren't wasting his years waiting for player development or a so-called right time to strike. Management in Dallas is going to great lengths to build a championship contender.

They didn't land a star at the deadline, but the Mavs fortified their frontcourt with the additions of Washington and Gafford. They'll give Dallas needed stability at the four and five and offer Doni immediate help with their impactful play at both ends. Washington must find his shooting touch to be a true weapon for Doni on kickouts. Gafford will thrive working with Doni as a lob recipient while giving Dallas more rim protection. The Mavs might now be set up to make a deep run.

gigem1223
4:38p, 2/10/24
Got a good chance to go into a big matchup with the Suns Thursday on a 6 game win streak. Just need to handle business against the Wizards and Spurs. The Suns will also be playing the back end of their 3rd night in a row. May be catching some good fortune at the right time.
Grapesoda2525
4:49p, 2/10/24
In reply to gigem1223
gigem1223 said:

Got a good chance to go into a big matchup with the Suns Thursday on a 6 game win streak. Just need to handle business against the Wizards and Spurs. The Suns will also be playing the back end of their 3rd night in a row. May be catching some good fortune at the right time.
Beating the spurs, suns, and wizards could put us in the top 6 again.
TDub
7:31p, 2/10/24
Once Lively is back that's going to be a lethal duo
M.C. Swag
8:42p, 2/10/24
Watching the Mavs go from a C rotation of Wood & Powell to Lively & Gafford in the span of 8 months makes me feel like I'm having a fever dream.
M.C. Swag
8:45a, 2/11/24

Guitarsoup
10:56a, 2/11/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Watching the Mavs go from a C rotation of Wood & Powell to Lively & Gafford in the span of 8 months makes me feel like I'm having a fever dream.
Gotta give Niko a ton of credit.

Post Kyrie trade Depth Chart:

PG: Luka / Hardy
SG: Kyrie/Green
SF: THJ/Bullock
PF: Bullock/Wood/Maxi
C: Powell/McGee?

Moves:
Lets go of Wood, Frank the Tank, Mcgee

Tanks a couple games

Signs:
Seth Curry
Derrick Jones Jr
Dante Exum
Dexter MFing Dennis

Trade out:
Cash, washed Bertans, washed Seth Curry, washed Reggie Bullock, 2030 1st round swap, 2028 1st round swap, 2023 #10 Pick

Trade in:
2025 Raptors 2RP
2028 Heat 2RP
Lively (#12 2023 pick)
OMaxP
PJ Washington
Daniel Gafford

So current Depth Chart:

PG: Luka/Exum
SG: Kyrie/Hardy
SF: Josh Green/THJ
PF: PJ Washington/DJJ/OMax
C: Lively/Gafford

So for essentially two pick swaps, a couple of meaningless losses and $250k fine, three great low-cost FA pickups, Dallas upgraded their starting and backup centers and power forwards and added wing depth while getting significantly younger, more athletic, and upgrading outside shooting, rebounding, and got two second round picks.

That's a pretty incredible haul. Going into the draft, I really thought the wheels were going to fall off this year, but Dallas is in a really good place right now, especially if we see better production out of Green and Hardy.
HawthornAggie
11:48a, 2/11/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Gotta give Niko a ton of credit.

Post Kyrie trade Depth Chart:

PG: Luka / Hardy
SG: Kyrie/Green
SF: THJ/Bullock
PF: Bullock/Wood/Maxi
C: Powell/McGee?

Moves:
Lets go of Wood, Frank the Tank, Mcgee

Tanks a couple games

Signs:
Seth Curry
Derrick Jones Jr
Dante Exum
Dexter MFing Dennis

Trade out:
Cash, washed Bertans, washed Seth Curry, washed Reggie Bullock, 2030 1st round swap, 2028 1st round swap, 2023 #10 Pick

Trade in:
2025 Raptors 2RP
2028 Heat 2RP
Lively (#12 2023 pick)
OMaxP
PJ Washington
Daniel Gafford

So current Depth Chart:

PG: Luka/Exum
SG: Kyrie/Hardy
SF: Josh Green/THJ
PF: PJ Washington/DJJ/OMax
C: Lively/Gafford

So for essentially two pick swaps, a couple of meaningless losses and $250k fine, three great low-cost FA pickups, Dallas upgraded their starting and backup centers and power forwards and added wing depth while getting significantly younger, more athletic, and upgrading outside shooting, rebounding, and got two second round picks.

That's a pretty incredible haul. Going into the draft, I really thought the wheels were going to fall off this year, but Dallas is in a really good place right now, especially if we see better production out of Green and Hardy.

LET NICO COOK
Grapesoda2525
11:57p, 2/11/24
Mavs within 1 game of the #5 seed
shack009
10:03a, 2/12/24
Mavs have the 3rd easiest schedule remaining (though this probably drastically changes after these next 2 games). Suns have the hardest remaining SOS and Sacramento is 5th hardest.

Get in to the top 6 and hope we are matched up with anyone but Denver.
Grapesoda2525
11:34a, 2/12/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Mavs have the 3rd easiest schedule remaining (though this probably drastically changes after these next 2 games). Suns have the hardest remaining SOS and Sacramento is 5th hardest.

I still hate the idea of playing the clippers.
Guitarsoup
11:54a, 2/12/24
Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

Assuming they are still healthy in 30 games.
M.C. Swag
12:04p, 2/12/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

They're always healthy when it's time to play the Mavericks. They only get hurt after.
Grapesoda2525
3:27p, 2/12/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

Would love for a Zaza pachulia like thing to happen to Kawhi Leonard but injuries only seem to help the warriors advance in the playoffs.

Warriors benefitted from injuries during their run more than any other team I've ever seen. Seems like a big player was always hurt for the other team.
CC09LawAg
3:32p, 2/12/24
In addition to Curry's ankles injuries that allowed them to sign him to that dirt cheap contract (relative to his value) that opened up so much cap space for them (in addition to the cap spike).
Grapesoda2525
4:34p, 2/12/24
In reply to CC09LawAg
CC09LawAg said:

In addition to Curry's ankles injuries that allowed them to sign him to that dirt cheap contract (relative to his value) that opened up so much cap space for them (in addition to the cap spike).
They have nothing on the bulls or lakers in regard to best dynasty. Those 2 teams would tear their asses up. They were just a bunch of fly boys who shot 3's. Bringing in KD was lame and broke the league for a few years. It was totally unwatchable.
zgolfz85
5:40p, 2/12/24
Welp dinwiddie a ***** now too
Guitarsoup
5:44p, 2/12/24
Grapesoda2525 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

shack009 said:

Would love for a Zaza pachulia like thing to happen to Kawhi Leonard but injuries only seem to help the warriors advance in the playoffs.

Warriors benefitted from injuries during their run more than any other team I've ever seen. Seems like a big player was always hurt for the other team.

Spurs would be happy to see the Mavs pick up Marcus Morris to play that role.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 28 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings