***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
157,163 Views | 3553 Replies
M.C. Swag
7:27a, 2/9/24
Also, I forgot that Richaun Holmes waived his trade kicker to come to Dallas so we'd have the full MLE and then we glued him to the bench and dumped him to Washington :-/

Hope Cuban made him whole under the table because that seems like bad karma. He seemed like a true pro and I hate seeing dudes get done dirty like that, especially when it affects their paycheck.
Grapesoda2525
7:45a, 2/9/24
In reply to mavsfan4ever
mavsfan4ever said:

The trades definitely make us interesting to watch for the rest of the season. On paper, gafford and Washington at least seem to give us a fighter's chance to be a contender this year. If they fit in well, their size and skills should make us pretty dangerous in the playoffs if we are healthy. And if we had a good coach (sigh).

But man, we are going to be awful for 5-8 years if Luka leaves. We have no pick in 2027, we have a pick swap with okc in 2028 (which will likely be around pick 30), we have no pick in 2029, and we have a swap with spurs in 2030. That's scary and the type of stuff that could completely lose a fan base if we are winning 20 games for 5+ years bc we have no draft picks to give us any hope. That makes it extremely important for these trades to work out (we gave up a first for nothing when we got Grant Williams). I like the moves in a vacuum but if there is a lot of pressure on them to pan out.

I honestly haven't seen gaffers and pj play much bc of the teams they are on, but they seem like great fits on paper and from highlight packages.
They're probably feeling the pressure to get luka some help. The first few years they had luka, they either didn't have any cap space or couldn't recruit at all.

I think taking their shot now and making sure they get some upgrades and get a better team is a good thing because how many offseasons have we seen with this team where they talk a big game and the rest of the league outmaneuvers them like crazy and we end up having to watch turds like Chris Kaman and Elton brand.
Vinny
8:02a, 2/9/24
Dinwiddie is nothing better than your 3rd PG. But he serves an important role on this team since we currently only have 2 guys we're comfortable running the offense through. Dinwiddie provides insurance in that area. Comparisons to THJ are way off track since their skillsets are very different. Anyhow, I'm all for bringing Dinwiddie back. He made some huge shots in big games in his previous stint here. Who says that cant happen again?
Grapesoda2525
8:44a, 2/9/24
In reply to Vinny
Vinny said:

Dinwiddie is nothing better than your 3rd PG. But he serves an important role on this team since we currently only have 2 guys we're comfortable running the offense through. Dinwiddie provides insurance in that area. Comparisons to THJ are way off track since their skillsets are very different. Anyhow, I'm all for bringing Dinwiddie back. He made some huge shots in big games in his previous stint here. Who says that cant happen again?
It's a no brainer. We have an open roster spot and need to stack talent / depth.
Guitarsoup
9:20a, 2/9/24
More depth is more betterer as long as that player doesn't ruin team chemistry, and I doubt Dinwiddie is going to do that
Guitarsoup
9:36a, 2/9/24
hph6203
11:31a, 2/9/24
zgolfz85
11:45a, 2/9/24
Agreed that Hardy has been criminally misused and coached under Kidd. Dude should be averaging 18 pts a game for us and 25 mins.
LeagueCityAg
11:50a, 2/9/24
In reply to hph6203
Tim McMahon doesn't know anything, dude just likes to stir **** up.
Guitarsoup
11:53a, 2/9/24
In reply to LeagueCityAg
LeagueCityAg said:

Is "Grant Williams rubbed people the wrong way" that unbelievable?
zgolfz85
11:56a, 2/9/24
Curious to hear more there. I'm glad he's gone, but I thought he was well liked based on my very limited information and 100% speculation of things like IG posts with other players etc
shack009
1:19p, 2/9/24
In reply to LeagueCityAg
LeagueCityAg said:

Rusillo and Simmons said they had been hearing the same thing on their trade deadline pod. He wasn't a fit here on or off the court.
shack009
1:21p, 2/9/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Curious to hear more there. I'm glad he's gone, but I thought he was well liked based on my very limited information and 100% speculation of things like IG posts with other players etc
It seems like we always hear about these things after. The stuff about KP and Luka after we trade KP away. The stuff about Jimbo and recruiting after he's fired. Just the way this stuff works, seems like.
hph6203
1:34p, 2/9/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

LeagueCityAg said:

Rusillo and Simmons said they had been hearing the same thing on their trade deadline pod. He wasn't a fit here on or off the court.
That was the word about him before we even signed him is that his personality grated on people in Boston, so this is totally unsurprising and based upon the interviews I've seen from him I'd be wholly unsurprised that he's just a guy that thinks he's funny while lightly pushing people's buttons. Can't do that when you're sucking.
M.C. Swag
2:09p, 2/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

LeagueCityAg said:

No, it was widely reported during his time in Boston that his personality was grating to some people in the lockerroom. The part I'm pissed at MacMahon about is that last part about Grant switching shoe brands from Luka to Tatum because it subtlety implies that Luka is the reason the Mavs shipped Grant out of town.
Guitarsoup
2:18p, 2/9/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

LeagueCityAg said:

No, it was widely reported during his time in Boston that his personality was grating to some people in the lockerroom. The part I'm pissed at MacMahon about is that last part about Grant switching shoe brands from Luka to Tatum because it subtlety implies that Luka is the reason the Mavs shipped Grant out of town.

I didn't take it that way. I took it as Grant being petty.
M.C. Swag
2:26p, 2/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Ya petty specifically with Luka (as in, they didn't get along).
shack009
2:26p, 2/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

LeagueCityAg said:

I didn't take it that way. I took it as Grant being petty.
So did I.
Guitarsoup
7:30a, 2/10/24

M.C. Swag
11:16a, 2/10/24
Dinwiddie to the Lakers. Morris bro reunion?
zgolfz85
11:27a, 2/10/24
We better see more Hardy development then
shack009
11:28a, 2/10/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

They can offer him significant playing time. Only other true guard they have who is worth anything is DLo, and I think they are done with that.
HawthornAggie
11:29a, 2/10/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

We better see more Hardy development then

Sadly I don't think Kidd will manage this well
shack009
11:40a, 2/10/24
Guys that would intrigue me are Killian Hayes and Joe Harris.

Harris is older but he is a 6'6" SF who can shoot the lights out. Not sure what his defense is anymore, but he was a decent enough defender for the Nets a few years ago.

Killian obviously has shooting issues but that sort of length and athleticism along with good creating ability has to intrigue you. He's basically a better Frank Ntilikina, who the Mavs obviously considered good enough to sign recently.
Guitarsoup
1:20p, 2/10/24
Guitarsoup
1:37p, 2/10/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Harris is older but he is a 6'6" SF who can shoot the lights out. Not sure what his defense is anymore, but he was a decent enough defender for the Nets a few years ago.

Killian obviously has shooting issues but that sort of length and athleticism along with good creating ability has to intrigue you. He's basically a better Frank Ntilikina, who the Mavs obviously considered good enough to sign recently.
Harris has been unplayable. 36/33 shooting.

I realize Kidd isn't the best coach in the NBA, but if Kidd probably would have some good information for a 6'5 point guard.

--------

Another nice thing about PJ Washington I haven't seen talked about is that Grant Williams really only had the corner three and nothing else. PJ is hitting 43% from the top of the arc. That's really nice since Josh Green is primarily a corner 3 guy, so they can probably play together better than Grant/Green. Also makes PJ a better PnR/PnP player from the top than Grant was.
shack009
1:42p, 2/10/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Harris has been on Detroit who isn't trying to win games and wants to play young guys. Hard to judge him on this year.
Guitarsoup
1:47p, 2/10/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Harris has been on Detroit who isn't trying to win games and wants to play young guys. Hard to judge him on this year.
Maybe he was never able to get into a rhythm because of lack of PT, but it isn't like he was missing shots on purpose. He would be more likely to get over the minimum in a buyout if he had played well, and he had to know he was a buyout candidate.
zgolfz85
1:54p, 2/10/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

Harris has been unplayable. 36/33 shooting.

I realize Kidd isn't the best coach in the NBA, but if Kidd probably would have some good information for a 6'5 point guard.

--------

Another nice thing about PJ Washington I haven't seen talked about is that Grant Williams really only had the corner three and nothing else. PJ is hitting 43% from the top of the arc. That's really nice since Josh Green is primarily a corner 3 guy, so they can probably play together better than Grant/Green. Also makes PJ a better PnR/PnP player from the top than Grant was.

Yep I like the idea of Kyrie or Luka getting into the paint and kicking it back to the top or to the corner now
Grapesoda2525
1:57p, 2/10/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

I guess they should bring in the other one now.
shack009
2:33p, 2/10/24
Now seems like a good time to live bet the thunder.
shack009
2:40p, 2/10/24
The Gafford trade has already paid off in one quarter.
gigem1223
2:40p, 2/10/24
Wow! What a quarter
Grapesoda2525
2:55p, 2/10/24
In reply to gigem1223
gigem1223 said:

Wow! What a quarter
Could be balancing it out with a really awful 2nd
Grapesoda2525
2:58p, 2/10/24
9 points total halfway through the 2nd. Why are we so bad with big leads?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 27 of 102
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings