***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
157,597 Views | 3555 Replies
shack009
2:22p, 7/17/23
Just about every Mavs insider has said there is no chance C Wood is on the team next year.

Apparently his market is league minimum. I doubt he will be in a S&T either. He will go to a team that needs to fill salary on a 1 year deal.
Guitarsoup
7:25p, 7/17/23
In reply to shack009
No one needs to fill salary. Every team is over the salary floor.

Or the Wizards pair him with Kuzma as Co-Tank Commanders.

He has a bad attitude, so maybe he should go back to Houston where he can be a no-defense volume scorer like Green, Smith, and Sengun.

Memphis seems happy with JJJ, Adams, Clarke, and Tillman.

Sabonis+Wood would be a nightmare for Sacramento.

Atlanta would need to clear salary if they make moves to put him in the spot that Collins played. Clearing money is a lot harder now that teams have all used their cap space.

Portland is overpaying Jeremi Grant while tanking, so this makes no sense.

I think a team like Chicago that pretends they want to compete, might make some sense, but Vooch and Wood together down low would be all-time worst defensive front court.

Otherwise, good luck with the Vet Min for the Lakers, Warriors, or Clippers.
Iowaggie
3:14p, 7/18/23
AI generation of a player:

Kyrie
txagman1998
8:43p, 7/20/23
In reply to Iowaggie
Even the AI has figured out refs in the NBA don't call traveling anymore.
shack009
10:51a, 7/21/23
On the most recent Dameris and Followill pod, they both said that they expect Jelly Walker to get a 2-way and Followill added that he knows that Walker has "fans high up in the organization."

Just thought it was interesting. I don't see it, but people who are perhaps smarter than me think he could be a piece.

I guess I'm ok with it, because it likely means the end of the McKinley Wright IV experience, who I have seen enough of to know he's not an NBA player.
NoahAg
2:05p, 7/21/23
I'm a Jelly fan. Dude is just a baller. If JJ Barea can have an NBA career so can Jelly.
mavsfan4ever
2:25p, 7/21/23
I'm a Jelly fan as well. He's got the quickness and abil;ity to get to the rim that you can't teach. Plus he's got a good step back 3, and shot 38% last season (when alot of those were contested according to some of the tape I've seen on him). Definitely prefer him over someone like McKinley.
Ol Jock 99
3:28p, 7/21/23
Who the eff is "Jelly"? #old
M.C. Swag
3:44p, 7/21/23
In reply to Ol Jock 99
lol Jelly Walker. Rookie PG who was signed as an undrafted free agent out of UAB. He played really well in Summer League and was signed to a 1 yr deal. He's undersized and is the definition of a gunner lol. Fun player.
Ol Jock 99
4:15p, 7/21/23
Thanks
shack009
7:29a, 8/10/23

Mavs finally get DJJ.
NoahAg
2:59p, 8/10/23
B/t DJJ and other signings have we now made up for trading Finney Smith?
shack009
11:23a, 8/11/23
In reply to NoahAg
I love what Dorian helped us do here, but I think we slightly overrated him, especially after the run to the WCF where he and Reggie were on fire for a couple weeks. Look T what he's doing now in BKN. He's very limited.

Grant and O Max will get a lot of the small ball 4 minutes I imagine. Grant is beefier, probably a better defender and rebounder, and a better corner shooter. O Max has the effort of Dorian and is much more skilled and athletic. Maybe not as good of a 3 point shooter right now.

Additionally, Josh Green has improved every year so I am going to project another step forward for him. He can do way more with the ball in his hands and can guard smaller players.

Exum and DJJ are bench guys and break glass in case of emergency IMO, but they are better than deep bench guys we have had in the past.

All that to say yes, I think our 3s and 4s are better, on paper, than the Dorian/Reggie combo.
mavsfan4ever
9:53p, 8/12/23
Great speech dirk. I'm going to turn it off now so I don't have to hear Dwayne wade speak.
South Platte
1:00p, 8/15/23
In reply to mavsfan4ever
mavsfan4ever said:

Great speech dirk. I'm going to turn it off now so I don't have to hear Dwayne wade speak.
I'm still sore over the 2006 Finals. Prince of South Beach and his family are total losers.
Yellerjacket
6:20a, 8/16/23
In reply to South Platte
South Platte said:

mavsfan4ever said:

I'm still sore over the 2006 Finals. Prince of South Beach and his family are total losers.

Yep. '06 should have been the first NBA title in Big D. They tried to make D Wade the next big thing, but he couldn't quite be that guy.
J.P. 03
11:35a, 8/16/23
In reply to Yellerjacket
Yellerjacket said:

South Platte said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Yep. '06 should have been the first NBA title in Big D. They tried to make D Wade the next big thing, but he couldn't quite be that guy.

I think I just got called for a blocking foul simply for reading this post.
Yellerjacket
1:05p, 8/16/23
In reply to J.P. 03
J.P. 03 said:

Yellerjacket said:

South Platte said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Infuriating!
South Platte
5:16p, 8/16/23
In reply to J.P. 03
J.P. 03 said:

Yellerjacket said:

South Platte said:

mavsfan4ever said:

Those who flop do not get fruit cake.
shack009
10:41a, 8/18/23
Mavs face Wemby first game of the season.
M.C. Swag
11:39a, 8/18/23
In reply to shack009
More like Spurs face Luka first game of the season!
Guitarsoup
2:44p, 8/19/23
We appreciate your service in our Quest for Collier.
MW03
9:47a, 8/20/23
J.P. 03
3:27p, 8/22/23
I guess there's not one more trick up Nico's sleeve this off-season that magically converts THJ and JaVale McGee into something more useful.

Sounds like McGee is getting waived and the Mavs are using that roster spot on re-signing Markieff Morris.
NoahAg
8:03p, 8/23/23
In reply to J.P. 03
Blah.
Zachary Klement
6:33p, 9/6/23

"I'm looking forward to this and Fasure motivated after what Dallas did"

LOL what did Dallas do?
J.P. 03
7:13p, 9/6/23
In reply to Zachary Klement
Zachary Klement said:

LOL what did Dallas do?

Asked him to pretend to care about playing defense, apparently.
Guitarsoup
8:55p, 9/6/23
Veteran Minimum
South Platte
2:25p, 9/13/23
Are we going to suck again this year? I don't mind putting all my effort into the Stars, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on anything.
M.C. Swag
2:38p, 9/13/23
In reply to South Platte
South Platte said:

Are we going to suck again this year? I don't mind putting all my effort into the Stars, just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to miss out on anything.
Lol I don't have a crystal ball, but no, the Mavs shouldn't 'suck' this year. They had a very encouraging off season by adding 2 rookies that fill positions of need and a FA power forward that theoretically should allow them to play pretty versatile lineups.

Luka is coming off a FIBA world cup run that ended in disappointment for Slovenia but physically he looks to be in better shape than he's been in a long time (maybe ever?). If he can simply maintain what he currently has, I think that bodes well for the Mavs start to the season.

If Kyrie can stay available for an entire season (big IF), the Mavs should be competing for a top 4 seed IMO. Depending how quickly the rookies grow/adapt, I think the Mavericks have a puncher's chance of making some real noise in the playoffs.
shack009
2:54p, 9/13/23
In reply to South Platte
South Platte said:

Our Vegas O/U is 44.5, so I guess that is a play in team. I agree with all the points MC Swag made above where I think we should go over that number.

Perhaps it's a little bit of homerism and talking myself in to in-shape Luka and Kyrie being available all year.

Josh Green has got better each year and I think it's safe to project another jump for him. Would be great if Hardy became a Jordan Poole type off the bench. We won't have to deal with Reggie's 20% shooting before Christmas anymore. Maxi was lost for a significant chunk of the year last year and wasn't himself when he came back.

You'd love for the Josh/Grant combo to be about the same as DFS/Reggie defensively while providing much more offensively.
South Platte
10:09p, 9/13/23
Appreciate the update. You guys are always like a beacon in the night to a ship lost at sea.

44 wins. I remember when 50 wins was a weak year for us. I see that we still have Powell and Kleber on the roster. Didn't know we signed Seth Curry and forgot Dinwiddie was traded.

I've never heard of half the roster. Any feel for Lively's upside? Robin Lopez? Deandre Ayton?
Iowaggie
3:33p, 9/18/23
On Thursday, the Mavericks are two weeks away from playing their first preseason game of the 2023-24 season.

BJM1781
10:30a, 9/26/23
We shall crush the Galacticos!
MW03
11:28a, 9/26/23
So the starting lineup should be:

PG - Luka
SG - Kyrie
SF - Green
PF - Williams
C - ?

Powell is probably the guy. Holmes used to have a solid P&R game and it would be nice to see him back in form with our backcourt play. I'm most curious to watch Lively. Kidd has mentioned him possibly starting, though that's a longshot. He might be the best defensive big on the roster already, plus he's spent the summer with Tyson Chandler. Look at this youth though.

Luka - 24
Kyrie - 31
Green - 22
Williams - 24
Lively - 19

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 9 of 102
Verify your student status Register