***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,589 Views | 3304 Replies
M.C. Swag
8:16p, 4/9/24
This team handled business and is rip roaring through the back half of the schedule. Just need a Suns or Pelicans loss to secure a top 6 seed!
Guitarsoup
8:21p, 4/9/24
Grant Williams clanks it and Luka rebounds and yells "Hell no"

https://streamable.com/br0y7t
Carlo4
9:40p, 4/9/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

This team handled business and is rip roaring through the back half of the schedule. Just need a Suns or Pelicans loss to secure a top 6 seed!

Suns down 30 after first quarter….
Guitarsoup
9:42p, 4/9/24
In reply to Carlo4
Carlo4 said:

M.C. Swag said:

Suns down 30 after first quarter….
And Kawhi is surprisingly out with an injury.
shack009
10:13p, 4/9/24
Booker/Beal/Durant are 4/25 from the field and Suns are down 66-33 at the half.

Russell Westbrook and Norm Powell are starting for the Clippers with no Kawhi or Harden…
shack009
11:13p, 4/9/24
Heat had to go to 2 OTs to beat Atlanta tonight. Hopefully that makes tomorrow's game that much easier.

Honestly would not mind at all if Luka, Kyrie, Exum, and Gafford all sit tomorrow.
jeffdjohnson
8:21a, 4/10/24
I'm definitely sitting Luka and Kyrie on the 2nd night of a back to back. The Mavs will likely end up the 5 seed at this point whether they win another game or not since the Pelicans have a tough schedule. At this point you've got 10-11 days to get as healthy as possible and prepare for the Clippers. That is not a great draw but there are no easy matchups in the West. The Mavs will have some matchups they can take advantage of there so we'll see, but the Clippers have also been playing very well.
South Platte
9:48a, 4/10/24
So we're going to play the Clippers in the 1st round again. That's annoying.
shack009
11:04a, 4/10/24
The Clippers are not as good as some of you are making them out to be. They have almost lost some really dumb games recently. Credit to them I guess for winning the games, but they have barely survived some bad to average teams and have been the beneficiary of bad officiating.

Kawhi and PG have worse defensive ratings than Luka does this year. They still have Zubac, who Luka will be able to destroy on switches, but Zubac won't be able to easily outrebound us like he has in the past. James Harden is one of the all time playoff chokers and PG is notoriously subpar in the playoffs. Our defense is way better than it has been in years.

It won't be a walk in the park, but these aren't the Bubble Clippers and Luka has way more help than he has had in past matchups. Remember that Brunson became unplayable in the last matchup with the Clippers, and that's probably the biggest reason why he isn't on the team now.
M.C. Swag
11:30a, 4/10/24
In reply to shack009
Agree, I have a healthy respect for Kawhi but I'm not scared of the Clippers at all. The Mavs are younger, bigger, and more athletic than the Clippers. Like, we've been the better team for about 2 months now. Idk what they're rating is now after the past couple wins, but as of last week the Clippers had the 30TH ranked defense since the trade deadline. They've been atrocious and some of that is injury related, some of it is coasting, but eye test says that alot of it is also just fundamental flaws in the players. Harden, Powell, Zubac, and even Westbrook are not + defenders. And Kawhi has been hobbled for the fast couple weeks so we'll see if he's actually hurt or just resting.

But either way, I think the Mavs are just plain better.
shack009
11:35a, 4/10/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
I'm not going to get my hopes up, but I think Clippers fans are panicking about Kawhi now. I think the Clippers started off by saying it was just rest but he's now missed 5 games in a row and they say it is a knee issue. So who knows...
Guitarsoup
11:38a, 4/10/24
I don't believe in the Clippers, especially with Kawhi out with a knee injury.

Kawhi is out five games and counting. Post ASB, he was just hitting .315 from three compared to .453 pre-ASB. He was +10.5 preASB and +3.5 post-ASB. He is at 68 games, which is the most he has played since 2017.

Harden's been hurt by the NBA crackdown on foul merchants. Plus he just chokes every year this time of the season. His last 15 games, he is at 36/28 shooting and only 3.4 fta/game and is a -2.8 overall. His first 56 games, he was at 46/41 shooting and 5.6 fta/game and was +5.6 overall. He's already in playoff form.

Brodie is at 42/23 shooting post-ASB and was 46/28 pre-ASB. TS% after the ASB is just .488.

PG13 is the only of their big names really playing better post ASB. Playing for that max contract in Philly.
shack009
1:23p, 4/10/24
The biggest questions for us right now are if Lively will be healthy by the time the series starts and if Josh Green will be healthy.

Kidd said "up to 2 weeks" for Lively on April 2nd. I believe our first game would either be the 20th or the 21st, so nearly 3 weeks from the injury. If Lively is able to play, I just don't see the Mavs losing to the Clippers.

Josh Green has been out with his ankle sprain since March 14th, so it will have been 5 weeks since that injury when the series starts. I could see him not playing at all in the playoffs, but I could also see a scenario where he cuts in to THJ's minutes. I don't think Kidd would take DJJ out of his current role if/when Josh returns.
shack009
5:48p, 4/10/24
Josh Green is back tonight.
shack009
5:49p, 4/10/24
Haven't seen anything about anybody else, so I'm guessing everybody other than DLII playing tonight.
shack009
7:02p, 4/10/24
Luka gets his third foul with 3 minutes left in the first and Kyrie has to come back in for him. Would love to see some lineups play with neither of those guys in the game. This game isn't super important and we know what we have in. Would have preferred Hardy come in.
M.C. Swag
7:12p, 4/10/24
In reply to shack009
Haha apparently it's VERY important for Kyrie. He has a $1m bonus if the team wins 50 games lol
shack009
7:17p, 4/10/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
Oh that explains his month long heater.

Hopefully there are additional playoff incentives.
shack009
8:20p, 4/10/24
Kevin Love the only reason this one is even a question still.
zgolfz85
8:47p, 4/10/24
Damn jones better not be legit hurt
shack009
8:47p, 4/10/24
DJJ holding his shoulder....
shack009
8:49p, 4/10/24
Yikes, that's why hook and hold is a flagrant in college. Announcers say he looks to be ok now.
shack009
8:51p, 4/10/24
O-Max dribble pull up from the elbow.
HawthornAggie
9:30p, 4/10/24
W
PatAg
9:44p, 4/10/24
Feels good to hit 50 wins again
shack009
10:02p, 4/10/24
We are locked in to 5 now. Very curious how we will handle the rest situation. Do we just let the big boys rest both the final couple games? Do they get off Friday and then play Sunday?
M.C. Swag
10:22p, 4/10/24
In reply to shack009
Ya I was on board to let it ride but seeing DJJ potentially get hurt scared me. I think we should sit every starter. As much as it sucks.
Grapesoda2525
11:38p, 4/10/24
Should be able to beat Detroit playing our backups and the thunder might want the last game so it could be an easy 1-1 finish to the regular season. Sit people for Detroit and still win, sit everyone for thunder and lose.
shack009
10:20a, 4/11/24
Denver beat Minnesota last night and just about locks up the 1 seed…. Hopefully they end up playing someone like Phoenix or LAL who can make them work hard in a series.
shack009
10:24a, 4/12/24
Kyrie already ruled out and Luka is questionable for tonight. Hopefully Luka sits out and Gafford and DJJ too.

Let Josh Green keep working on returning and give Hardy and O Max minutes.
jeffdjohnson
11:14a, 4/12/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

I don't believe in the Clippers, especially with Kawhi out with a knee injury.

Kawhi is out five games and counting. Post ASB, he was just hitting .315 from three compared to .453 pre-ASB. He was +10.5 preASB and +3.5 post-ASB. He is at 68 games, which is the most he has played since 2017.

Harden's been hurt by the NBA crackdown on foul merchants. Plus he just chokes every year this time of the season. His last 15 games, he is at 36/28 shooting and only 3.4 fta/game and is a -2.8 overall. His first 56 games, he was at 46/41 shooting and 5.6 fta/game and was +5.6 overall. He's already in playoff form.

Brodie is at 42/23 shooting post-ASB and was 46/28 pre-ASB. TS% after the ASB is just .488.

PG13 is the only of their big names really playing better post ASB. Playing for that max contract in Philly.

It's going to be an interesting series. My base assumption is that Kawhi will be healthy and ready to play, but you never know with that guy. He is such a major playoff riser that its just my base assumption he will come in to kill the Mavs. Luka is also a beast in the playoffs so it will likely come down the Clippers supporting cast versus the Mavs again.

The Clippers had the clear edge in the first two matchups, but I don't think that is the case anymore. I think the Mavs have a more balanced roster but the Clippers still have a ton of firepower. This just feels like a 6 or 7 game series where each game could tilt either way.
shack009
7:35p, 4/12/24
Luka is out tonight. I'm sure it was hard to convince him to not play, but it's the right move.

Time for a Hardy party.
HawthornAggie
7:59p, 4/12/24
Wow I didn't realize Lively's mom passed away this week. Awful.

They had a moment of silence at the stadium in honor of his mom.
shack009
9:24p, 4/12/24
Spurs beat the Nugs at the buzzer. OKC will be playing for the 1 seed on Sunday.
Guitarsoup
9:25p, 4/12/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Spurs beat the Nugs at the buzzer. OKC will be playing for the 1 seed on Sunday.

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 51 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings