***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,779 Views | 3306 Replies
LeagueCityAg
5:21p, 4/28/24
The fact that Lively or Gafford never went in is an absolute joke. Kidd lost this game with his stubbornness.
zgolfz85
5:22p, 4/28/24
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

MW03 said:

It is unconscionable that Kidd doesn't have a center in the game. Fireable offense.

Going small helped get the lead but Clippers seemingly found the answer last couple minutes. Make another adjustment

Yep, Kidd is simply average at best in game coaching
mncag
5:22p, 4/28/24
In reply to LeagueCityAg
LeagueCityAg said:

The fact that lively or Gafford never went in is an absolute joke. Kidd lost this game with his stubbornness.

They win in spite of kidd
Infection_Ag11
5:24p, 4/28/24
Bigger issue than this game is that Luka clearly won't be 100% this postseason and if he's not this is all a complete waste of time. Beating the Clippers or not really makes no difference.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
MookieBlaylock
5:26p, 4/28/24
How much longer they gonna keep this terrible coach?
Lt. Joe Bookman
Damn. Bummer to battle back and still lose.
PatAg
Need our front office to still make a big stink about the refs this game
HawthornAggie
5:27p, 4/28/24
Those floaters were hard to watch after we finally took the lead
Infection_Ag11
5:28p, 4/28/24
Shallow fans blame coaching after a game like this. That lineup got them back in the lead and the game was decided by offshoring two hours earlier, and then the most heavily contested shot of the entire game going in.

Kidd carried a lot of blame a lot of the time but a historic playoff choker going 7-10 from three including one from behind the backboard isn't on him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
zgolfz85
5:28p, 4/28/24
Feels like this is easily the 15th game Kidd has lost for us. So tired of this clown. He should move on to jimbo's ranch so they can just make love and enjoy their coaching mediocrity together
mncag
5:29p, 4/28/24
What happened to being physical? Hurt hardin
zgolfz85
5:29p, 4/28/24
In reply to Infection_Ag11
Infection_Ag11 said:

Shallow fans blame coaching after a game like this. That lineup got them back in the lead and the game was decided by offshoring two hours earlier, and then the most heavily contested shot of the entire game going in.

Kidd carried a lot of blame a lot of the time but a historic playoff choker going 7-10 from three including one from behind the backboard isn't on him.

Meh, I'd agree except for Kidd does this all the time. Just feels like he's coaching at a high school level compared to most of the league
PatAg
5:33p, 4/28/24
Infection_Ag11 said:

Only thing I think is he needed a better sense of when the small ball lineup was no longer working. Which then allowed about 2-3 more Harden floaters. Now maybe you can say thats on Maxi for just staying in no mans land, instead of committing to challenging Harden.
Infection_Ag11
5:38p, 4/28/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Infection_Ag11 said:

Meh, I'd agree except for Kidd does this all the time. Just feels like he's coaching at a high school level compared to most of the league

I guess I just don't know what you expect kidd to do. It's not like the presence of a big was the issue, Maxi was there on two of the floaters and defended the lib man instead of Harden. I don't see what would have been any different had it been Gafford instead.

The bottom line is you can't get down by 31 and expect to win and we got down by 32 because of obnoxiosuly Kobe so sided officiating in the first 1.5 quarters.
M.C. Swag
5:41p, 4/28/24
This game (and honestly series) is on Luka. Everyone did their jobs as well as can be expected but Luka somehow managed to gain weight during the season and showed up to this series thinking he could step back his way to victory. Embarrassing effort from the mvp candidate.
DannyDuberstein
5:47p, 4/28/24
Just hope that wasn't the whole series that slipped away
Coachbro20
5:48p, 4/28/24
Can't believe we don't have anybody on the roster that can stay in front of Harden by themselves.
shack009
5:52p, 4/28/24
Maxi hit a big 3 down the stretch and he spaced the floor which allowed a lot of chances at the rim. I thought the Harden stuff was mostly on the perimeter defenders. What do y'all want maxi to do? Every time he stepped up they would lob it to Plumlee or Zubac.

Luka played terrible and he has to play like he did in game 2. He consistently gave up chances to get to the rim and settled for mid range jumpers or step backs. You could tell from the get go that he was going to play similar to game 1. Maybe he's injured but then he shouldn't be playing.
shack009
5:55p, 4/28/24
Happy for Luka that he got his triple double though because those are the most important thing to him.
Infection_Ag11
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

This game (and honestly series) is on Luka. Everyone did their jobs as well as can be expected but Luka somehow managed to gain weight during the season and showed up to this series thinking he could step back his way to victory. Embarrassing effort from the mvp candidate.

He's playing on one leg.
M.C. Swag
If he's healthy enough to be on the court, I don't wanna hear it.
zgolfz85
5:59p, 4/28/24
Luka did pick a really weird time to bring out his B- game

Gotta give it to him on defense in games 2 and 3 though
Infection_Ag11
6:00p, 4/28/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

If he's healthy enough to be on the court, I don't wanna hear it.

He's not, but the nature of this team (and fan perception) means you can't bench him.

This is the issue with building a lob city roster. Our team is useless if Luka isn't playing. It's a non functional roster without him.
shack009
6:00p, 4/28/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Luka did pick a really weird time to bring out his B- game

Gotta give it to him on defense in games 2 and 3 though

Eh, B- game would have been going 3/9 from 3. This was a C game at best.
HawthornAggie
6:03p, 4/28/24
Luka can't win with some of y'all. He could have a 40 point triple double, shoot 50%, and if the team lost yall would blame Lukas defense.
M.C. Swag
6:04p, 4/28/24
Nah, Luka has gained 30lbs since our last playoff series against the clippers and it's basically eliminated his at rim attempts to the point he needs his mid range/step back shot (which worked in the reg season) but when that isn't falling, he's out of moves.
shack009
6:06p, 4/28/24
In reply to HawthornAggie
HawthornAggie said:

Luka can't win with some of y'all. He could have a 40 point triple double, shoot 50%, and if the team lost yall would blame Lukas defense.

And he can't lose with way too many people. He's been bad this series. He had a couple good defensive games but he was absolutely terrible in games 1 and 4. There's no two ways around it. He was 1/9 from 3 today and passed up so many chances to get to the basket.

Again, maybe he's injured. Then he shouldn't be in the game.
HawthornAggie
6:17p, 4/28/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

HawthornAggie said:

And he can't lose with way too many people. He's been bad this series. He had a couple good defensive games but he was absolutely terrible in games 1 and 4. There's no two ways around it. He was 1/9 from 3 today and passed up so many chances to get to the basket.

Again, maybe he's injured. Then he shouldn't be in the game.

And if he was injured and not playing, how many people would be complaining that "he should tough it out for the playoffs"? No denying he has had some rough games, but to put the entire blame on Luka for a 2-2 series tie is silly.

Today was not a great game for him (still +10) but is he the reason Paul George and Harden shot a combined 75% from 3? Is he the reason Kyrie had 7 turnovers? Can't have all the blame on Luka.
zgolfz85
6:21p, 4/28/24
Can't believe they kept up their 3%….ended the game at 62% on 29 attempts
M.C. Swag
6:21p, 4/28/24
In reply to HawthornAggie
I was obviously being reductive because any game can be reduced to a handful of plays but in terms of just effort and execution, I see most other Mavs doing their part in those categories with the exception of the star player. He played superb defense in game 2, but his offense has been wholly reliant on lazy jump shots and infrequent blow bys on defense. It's hard to be super annoyed when he somehow found a double chin at age 25 half way through the season after showing up in fantastic shape.
HawthornAggie
6:24p, 4/28/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Can't believe they kept up their 3%….ended the game at 62% on 29 attempts

I really thought the law of averages was gonna come through for us in the second half
HawthornAggie
6:27p, 4/28/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

I was obviously being reductive because any game can be reduced to a handful of plays but in terms of just effort and execution, I see most other Mavs doing their part in those categories with the exception of the star player. He played superb defense in game 2, but his offense has been wholly reliant on lazy jump shots and infrequent blow bys on defense. It's hard to be super annoyed when he somehow found a double chin at age 25 half way through the season after showing up in fantastic shape.

I imagine becoming a dad can have that effect on even professional athletes.

Nah but in all seriousness, your point is a fair one. Luka isn't without blame but to put the whole series on him I don't think is deserved.
PatAg
6:39p, 4/28/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Lol
PatAg
6:40p, 4/28/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Nah, Luka has gained 30lbs since our last playoff series against the clippers and it's basically eliminated his at rim attempts to the point he needs his mid range/step back shot (which worked in the reg season) but when that isn't falling, he's out of moves.

Lol
PatAg
6:42p, 4/28/24
Why is a spurs fan in here talking nonsense
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 69 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >