***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
157,247 Views | 3554 Replies
Guitarsoup
3:44p, 12/31/23
Raptors are trying to get Jalen Johnson from the Hawks. Mavs, Pacers, Hawks, and Kings are the main teams going after Pascal.
shack009
4:17p, 12/31/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Well yeah I'd take a do it all wing on a nice rookie deal also. Atlanta should get a good haul for him.
M.C. Swag
4:47p, 12/31/23

This guy is speculating because Green isn't trade eligible until 1/23, but the news is officially out there that the Mavs are feeling pressure to get a deal done for Siakam.
Guitarsoup
6:01p, 12/31/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Well yeah I'd take a do it all wing on a nice rookie deal also. Atlanta should get a good haul for him.
Atlanta is in a tough spot that the Spurs control their unprotected first rounders for 25, 26, and 27, so they can't blow it up completely, but also I don't think they can build a real good team around Trae Young, since he is the worst defensive player in the league.

An Atlanta deal would have to include more than JJ, because of salaries. So it would likely be something like DeAndre Hunter, JJ, and Patty Mills for Garrett Temple and Pascal.

---------

The Pacers deals I have seen seem to be based around Matherin and Jarace Walker, but for salaries, Buddy H would need to be included, too.
Guitarsoup
5:51p, 1/1/24
The Dallas Mavericks have indeed registered some exploratory trade interest in Siakam, league sources say, but one source over the weekend described their interest to me as overstated. The Mavericks are indeed hoping to upgrade at the four spot, I'm told, but my sense is Siakam is not atop their wish list.

via Marc Stein @ marcstein.substack.com

Stein said that Pascal is unlikely to sign an extension and wants to enter free agency to have more control.
zgolfz85
9:31p, 1/1/24
We've already given up 20 to fontecchio
shack009
9:37p, 1/1/24
Get Josh Green off this team.
zgolfz85
9:46p, 1/1/24
This team is infuriating
shack009
9:56p, 1/1/24
Ready for THJ to be gone. We might win 2 games a month because of him but we probably lose 5+ the same month because of him.
NoahAg
6:35p, 1/3/24
A friend just said Andrew Wiggins possibly to the Mavs.
zgolfz85
6:44p, 1/3/24
In reply to NoahAg
NoahAg said:

A friend just said Andrew Wiggins possibly to the Mavs.

Barf?
M.C. Swag
7:13p, 1/3/24
In reply to NoahAg
I hope not unless there's compensation or they're willing to take Maxi and Holmes and nothing else
NoahAg
7:13p, 1/3/24
For Hardy, Holmes and a second.
HawthornAggie
7:19p, 1/3/24
Looking at Wiggins numbers this year, I don't see why the Mavs would want him. 12 points a game and barely shoots 30% from 3. What am I missing?
M.C. Swag
7:44p, 1/3/24
In reply to NoahAg
Salaries aren't even close
Guitarsoup
8:20p, 1/3/24
Hardy+Holmes+Seth Curry works financially.

But including this year, Wiggins has 4y109M left.

I don't see the Mavs taking on 109M guaranteed of Wiggins having the worst season of his career at 29 years old and 700+ NBA games played. Maybe you do that if they include Trace Jackson-Davis.

Here's a completely unrealistic trade that actually works financially. Puts the Mavs about 4M into the lux tax, for about 6.5M tax bill. Since Siakam says he won't sign an extension, I don't think he has any value. I also don't think Toronto takes that **** sandwich, but **** the raptors anyway.

So...

C: Lively/Koloko/Powell
PF: Siakam/TJD/OMax
SF: DJJ/Wiggins
SG: Kyrie/Green/Dex
PG: Luka/Exum

shack009
9:45p, 1/5/24
Hardy goes 19-9-9-1 tonight with no Luka.
mavsfan4ever
11:43a, 1/6/24
It's maddening that Hardy hasn't been getting playing time, especially when Kyrie has been out. He was great last year and this year should be a year where we play him in order for him to keep his progression going. But our coaches just refuse to develop young talent.
awinlonghorn
1:09p, 1/6/24
is it too early to trade grant?

Both grant and josh win the tony snow award. 0,0,0 in 25 mins. absolutely infuriating.
HawthornAggie
2:03p, 1/6/24
In reply to awinlonghorn
awinlonghorn said:

is it too early to trade grant?

Both grant and josh win the tony snow award. 0,0,0 in 25 mins. absolutely infuriating.

Josh Green had 14 points, 5 rebounds, and 5 assists in 25 minutes last night on 7 of 8 shooting.
zgolfz85
11:45p, 1/7/24
That kyrie stat line today
mavsfan4ever
8:38a, 1/8/24
That was our best win of the year and we did it without lively. We can beat anyone when Kyrie is playing. Need him to stay healthy.
M.C. Swag
9:07a, 1/8/24
In reply to mavsfan4ever
100%. The Mavs are built to beat a team like the Wolves when they're healthy. The Mavs have 2 elite shotmakers that are more than comfortable taking mid range shots. We've played the Wolves 3x this season and in none of them have the Mavs had their full starting lineup. I'm fascinated to see what a rematch with Lively would look like.

Also...Derrick Jones Jr is so good.
Guitarsoup
4:56p, 1/8/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

100%. The Mavs are built to beat a team like the Wolves when they're healthy. The Mavs have 2 elite shotmakers that are more than comfortable taking mid range shots. We've played the Wolves 3x this season and in none of them have the Mavs had their full starting lineup. I'm fascinated to see what a rematch with Lively would look like.

Also...Derrick Jones Jr is so good.
Looking forward to Kyrie making Gobert switch out on him and then abusing the F out of him.

Guitarsoup
4:57p, 1/8/24
Listened to the Hollinger/Duncan podcast on trade deadline and they thought the Mavs would/should go get Jeremi Grant.
shack009
5:16p, 1/8/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Listened to the Hollinger/Duncan podcast on trade deadline and they thought the Mavs would/should go get Jeremi Grant.
I'd be fine with Denver-era Jerami Grant, but he doesn't want to be that guy anymore. We are talking about a guy who purposefully went to Detroit so he could have the ball all the time, and he shot like 38% from the field. He's just so inefficient.

If he is down to come play off the ball, make catch and shoot 3s, cut to the basket, and guard one of the other team's best players, then sure.
Guitarsoup
6:17p, 1/8/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'd be fine with Denver-era Jerami Grant, but he doesn't want to be that guy anymore. We are talking about a guy who purposefully went to Detroit so he could have the ball all the time, and he shot like 38% from the field. He's just so inefficient.

If he is down to come play off the ball, make catch and shoot 3s, cut to the basket, and guard one of the other team's best players, then sure.
He's shooting 46%/42%/80% on a ****ty team that doesn't have a real starting-level PG. Brogdon is more of a 6th man scoring guard, Scoot isnt ready and Simons is a 2. I think he would fit well in Dallas and would be a great PnR partner for Luka/Kyrie.
jeffdjohnson
12:17p, 1/9/24
To move into low key title contention they might not need an all star player. Maybe get a backup 5 for starters. The Nuggets got really lucky when they pulled Aaron Gordon for a single 1st round pick. He's an athletic defender and rebounder at the 4 with some scoring upside. That's what the Mavs need. Considering the cost, I just don't think the Mavs should be spending valuable assets chasing Jerami Grant if he isn't the defender & rebounder that they need. That is more important that the scoring aspect. Also, no reason for Portland to give him away cheap at this point in their rebuild.

I'm not sure there is really any perfect fit out there unfortunately. Teams that might be looking to sell CHA (PJ Washington), CHI (Patrick Williams if they don't want to extend him), WAS (Kuzma), UTA (Collins), BKN (Finney-Smith). They are all decent defenders with some upside on mid to bad teams. It's hard to see any of those players moving the needle though, but the Mavs still might want to take a shot on one of them. At the end of the day, if this team is healthy and Luka / Kyrie are playing at this high level then they will have a shot in the playoffs.
M.C. Swag
1:41p, 1/9/24
In reply to jeffdjohnson
Agree and I think PJ Washington is a guy the Mavs could/should target in the off season. Once the Knicks pick conveys, dallas will have up to 3 FRPs to trade and while I don't think Washington is worth THAT, he'd be at least gettable.
zgolfz85
8:59p, 1/9/24
How are we getting destroyed by a ja-less grizz team at home…especially after Sunday's game? This team so so roller coaster
shack009
9:05p, 1/9/24
THJ is -23
Guitarsoup
7:58a, 1/10/24
Kings offer to Toronto for Pascal is Harrison Barnes, Heuter, Davion Mitchell and a first.
M.C. Swag
8:48a, 1/10/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Ya i'd turn that down too. Gotta have Keegan if your toronto.
Guitarsoup
9:50a, 1/10/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Ya i'd turn that down too. Gotta have Keegan if your toronto.

But since Pascal won't sign an extension, you cant move Keegan for 3 months of Pascal. Non starter
mavsfan4ever
1:13p, 1/10/24
Yea, it seems like the raptors are severely overrating the value of a Siakam rental.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 19 of 102
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings