***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,774 Views | 3306 Replies
M.C. Swag
3:03p, 6/30/23
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

What is this nonsense that people only dislike Kyrie because he didnt want to take the vaccine.
Sports media/fans have disliked him long before that. Je has ended up being locker room cancer at every team he has played at.
The vaccine take was just the latest in a long line of "stupid" things he has said in the press that they dont like.

No one ever says he is bad at the game itself
lol This. There's a host of reasons to dislike (or even really despise) Kyrie. I didn't want to comment on stuff and start anything political, but there's a lot of justified 'hate' of Kyrie.
Guitarsoup
3:05p, 6/30/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

PatAg said:

What is this nonsense that people only dislike Kyrie because he didnt want to take the vaccine.
Sports media/fans have disliked him long before that. Je has ended up being locker room cancer at every team he has played at.
The vaccine take was just the latest in a long line of "stupid" things he has said in the press that they dont like.

lol This. There's a host of reasons to dislike (or even really despise) Kyrie. I didn't want to comment on stuff and start anything political, but there's a lot of justified 'hate' of Kyrie.

Not according to Shak
zgolfz85
3:08p, 6/30/23
I agree it's the icing on top for a lot of the talking heads, but before the vax stuff, a lot of people had done a full 180 on him and the vax stuff just took them back to their kyrie hate days x100

And now, any talking head alludes to his vax days as if he wasn't 100% justified in being anti vax. Nothing new…****ty people will rewrite history when it benefits their narrative and not rewrite it when it doesn't
Zachary Klement
3:26p, 6/30/23
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

The media definitely did not disdain the guy the way they do now before the vaccine stuff. I think that clearly has had the biggest impact on the way the media views and talks about him.

Also, not sure how valid the team cancer statements are...the players on the Celtics still love him, LeBron does, and KD has remained incredibly loyal to the guy.
PatAg
3:32p, 6/30/23
In reply to Zachary Klement
Zachary Klement said:

PatAg said:

The media definitely did not disdain the guy the way they do now before the vaccine stuff. I think that clearly has had the biggest impact on the way the media views and talks about him.

Also, not sure how valid the team cancer statements are...the players on the Celtics still love him, LeBron does, and KD has remained incredibly loyal to the guy.
I guess I meant more like, cancer to the coaching staff and front office of the team vs within the locker room I guess. Has he ever left a team on good terms?
and my point is they DID have the same dislike of him before the vaccine stuff, it is just the latest in a long list of things. Though I guess the Hitler stuff is now more recent, lol. Hes just constantly said ridiculous stuff for the last 10 or so years.
Zachary Klement
3:36p, 6/30/23
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Zachary Klement said:

PatAg said:

I guess I meant more like, cancer to the coaching staff and front office of the team vs within the locker room I guess. Has he ever left a team on good terms?
and my point is they DID have the same dislike of him before the vaccine stuff, it is just the latest in a long list of things. Though I guess the Hitler stuff is now more recent, lol. Hes just constantly said ridiculous stuff for the last 10 or so years.
Oh definitely, it has just felt like a lot of the media went from viewing him as a primadonna or quirky or weird to now genuinely hating the guy.

He's definitely an odd guy, but I do think he means well and seems like a good enough person.
shack009
3:41p, 6/30/23
My comment earlier was specifically about Bill Simmons and Rusillo. We were all there in 2021. They were saying things like Kyrie "doesn't want to play basketball" because Bill was so gung ho on force vaccinating everyone. He hated that Kyrie refused his mandate. Just about everybody in the media did.

To pretend that the covid vax stuff is not relevant in the media criticism of Kyrie is to ignore reality.
Guitarsoup
3:43p, 6/30/23
In reply to shack009
Bill hated Kyrie way before that
shack009
3:44p, 6/30/23
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Zachary Klement said:

PatAg said:

This is not true at all. It grew in 2021 by a significant amount. I can remember the tone of the basketball podcasts before then and how they changed in 2021 because I'm a grown adult and it was only 2 years ago.
zgolfz85
3:44p, 6/30/23
I think there's now an inverse correlation between BS hating someone and my liking them. At least BS and all of us will agree Dirk is the GOAT
Zachary Klement
3:45p, 6/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Yeah he definitely disliked him mostly because of his Celtics bias.
shack009
3:48p, 6/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Sure, he hated that Kyrie left the Celtics. He never said Kyrie "doesn't want to play basketball" until the vax year. He impugned Kyrie's work ethic because Kyrie didn't want to risk bodily harm.

They make it seem like Kyrie could just walk away for half a season and you won't know where he is because that's what happened in 2021. Except he did that in 2021 for a legitimate reason. They just don't think it's legitimate.
M.C. Swag
4:03p, 6/30/23
In reply to shack009
Lol "legitimate" is a stretch. Kyrie thought the vaccine implanted robots in your brain or something.

Again, setting aside the political stuff because it's just not worth it. He's been a bad business partner for every NBA team he's been a part of. He's gone AWOL multiple times, gets hurt constantly, teams give him EVERYTHING he wants and will demand to be traded, randomly decides to miss playoff games because now he's observing Ramadan(?) I think he even purposefully delayed a knee surgery to use as leverage to force a trade out of cleveland? My memory is a little shot on that one.

Since that title in Cleveland (which I attribute to Lebron), there hasn't been a situation that was IMPROVED by Kyrie Irving's presence. In fact, it's only gotten worse.
shack009
4:15p, 6/30/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
For sure. There is a reason none of us are certain he will be on our team next year and that we are paying attention to every rumor around him.

It's also true that Kyrie Irving needs to be on the Mavs this upcoming season. Hopefully it's as friendly of a deal to the Mavs as possible.

If the Mavs are smart we can convince him it's us with him against the world. Focus his negative energy outward lol.
zgolfz85
4:25p, 6/30/23
we're all justifiably in a love/hate with Kyrie. I still hold out hope that he'll be more mature this late into his career and that a lot of what he's done in the past has been due to immense pressure, immaturity and being a largely misunderstood personality in a league largely full of dudes that just want to hoop and not be political or philosophical, etc. I feel for him in a way as it must be very tough to be in his shoes and be told to shut up and just play ball when he has a mind that wanders a lot more than most of his peers. I don't think he's handled a lot of it very well and I'm far from famous and have handled a lot of my **** improperly too, so can't imagine being in the limelight 24/7 with the expectations of perfection that come with that.

Having said all of that, I think his move this week to seemingly diss the mavs a bit by "taking meetings" isn't making me too confident on the kyrie maturing front. Sure, he can do what he needs as it is a business, but it's pretty obvious the mavs weren't going to lowball him. Honestly, taking a big deal from us and saving face would've been in his best interests by far because the last 72 hours have been nothing but media roasting of him as they clown on him for thinking there's a market for his services. Bit of a head scratcher to extend the cat and mouse game if he indeed stays in Dallas.
Zachary Klement
4:35p, 6/30/23
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

we're all justifiably in a love/hate with Kyrie. I still hold out hope that he'll be more mature this late into his career and that a lot of what he's done in the past has been due to immense pressure, immaturity and being a largely misunderstood personality in a league largely full of dudes that just want to hoop and not be political or philosophical, etc. I feel for him in a way as it must be very tough to be in his shoes and be told to shut up and just play ball when he has a mind that wanders a lot more than most of his peers. I don't think he's handled a lot of it very well and I'm far from famous and have handled a lot of my **** improperly too, so can't imagine being in the limelight 24/7 with the expectations of perfection that come with that.

Having said all of that, I think his move this week to seemingly diss the mavs a bit by "taking meetings" isn't making me too confident on the kyrie maturing front. Sure, he can do what he needs as it is a business, but it's pretty obvious the mavs weren't going to lowball him. Honestly, taking a big deal from us and saving face would've been in his best interests by far because the last 72 hours have been nothing but media roasting of him as they clown on him for thinking there's a market for his services. Bit of a head scratcher to extend the cat and mouse game if he indeed stays in Dallas.
Never know with Cuban lol
zgolfz85
4:36p, 6/30/23
In reply to Zachary Klement
Ha touche…surely cubes isn't that dumb though
Zachary Klement
4:44p, 6/30/23
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Ha touche…surely cubes isn't that dumb though
Again, never know with Cuban!
shack009
5:09p, 6/30/23
Taurean Prince to the Lakers. Fine by me, I'm not a huge fan.
shack009
5:10p, 6/30/23

Surprising move by Kuz.
Guitarsoup
5:10p, 6/30/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Surprising move by Kuz.

This is why the Wizards will never be good
shack009
5:15p, 6/30/23

Decent defender but horrific shooter who is always left wide open. If the Suns have to keep running Okogie out there for long minutes, they have a ceiling that is not the finals.
shack009
5:21p, 6/30/23
zgolfz85
5:23p, 6/30/23
****KKKKKKK
shack009
5:33p, 6/30/23
Guitarsoup
5:46p, 6/30/23
Guess those meetings were quick

shack009
5:46p, 6/30/23
zgolfz85
5:48p, 6/30/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Clown world
shack009
6:00p, 6/30/23
Suns doing work to fill out their depth with minimum or near-minimum guys. Already re-signed Damion Lee and Okogie. Have signed Drew Eubanks, Keita Bates-Diop, and Chemezie Metu.
shack009
6:15p, 6/30/23

It has to be trolling at this point, right?
M.C. Swag
6:22p, 6/30/23
Great deal for the Mavs and Kyrie. Should open up the full MLE and BAE. Time for Nico to get to work.
Guitarsoup
6:25p, 6/30/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
Told you he'd get under the max
PatAg
6:25p, 6/30/23
And still have the option of trading just about any non-Luka player.
I feel like Luka and Kyrie SHOULD be able to be a very dangerous combo, we'll see if Kidd can figure it out. I hate putting more responsibility on Luka, but I think he needs to figure out how to be more effective off the ball
shack009
6:26p, 6/30/23
Guitarsoup
6:34p, 6/30/23

How?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 3 of 95
Verify your student status Register