***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,574 Views | 3304 Replies
HawthornAggie
9:38p, 6/29/23
Saw this proposed 3 team trade on First Things First.

Phoenix gets Kyrie
Indiana gets Ayton
Dallas get Myles Turner and Buddy Hield

No reports on these teams even talking to each other but that'd be a sick haul for Dallas.
shack009
9:40p, 6/29/23
In reply to HawthornAggie
I saw something that was similar.

Dallas gets Turner
Indiana gets Ayton and Javale
Phoenix gets THJ, Theiss, and TJ McConnell

Kyrie just makes no sense on Phoenix unless they are dealing Beal.
zgolfz85
9:50p, 6/29/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I saw something that was similar.

Dallas gets Turner
Indiana gets Ayton and Javale
Phoenix gets THJ, Theiss, and TJ McConnell

Kyrie just makes no sense on Phoenix unless they are dealing Beal.

Yes please. Luka kyrie and turner would be beautiful
Guitarsoup
10:00p, 6/29/23
HawthornAggie said:

Phoenix gets Kyrie
Indiana gets Ayton

No reports on these teams even talking to each other but that'd be a sick haul for Dallas.
I don't know why Indiana does that. I'd rather have Myles Turner than Ayton. Legit shot blocker, 3-pt threat. Better scorer. Way more versatile
shack009
10:02p, 6/29/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
I agree, strictly in terms of basketball. But Turner has been in trade rumors for years and has been linked to Dallas before. He may want out of there and/or they may not want him. I have no idea...
zgolfz85
10:06p, 6/29/23
He also liked a tweet about Luka needing a legit big man around him yesterday
Guitarsoup
10:08p, 6/29/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I agree, strictly in terms of basketball. But Turner has been in trade rumors for years and has been linked to Dallas before. He may want out of there and/or they may not want him. I have no idea...
He also signed an extension a couple months ago.

Maybe he wants out, but I just don't see that framework working for Indiana at all.
MarcAg
11:00p, 6/29/23
HawthornAggie said:

Phoenix gets Kyrie
Indiana gets Ayton

Can't be done. Suns can't acquire anyone via a sign and trade because of how much money they already have on the books.
M.C. Swag
5:58a, 6/30/23
In reply to MarcAg
MarcAg said:

HawthornAggie said:

Phoenix gets Kyrie
Indiana gets Ayton

Can't be done. Suns can't acquire anyone via a sign and trade because of how much money they already have on the books.

Exactly. Suns will be hard capped at the 1st apron if they receive any player in a SnT. Phoenix is NOT getting Kyrie unless he takes a massive pay cut.
Woods Ag
6:14a, 6/30/23
Simmons says Harden for Kyrie..

I love it! Both teams are stuck with bad assets and the only trade partners are each other
shack009
8:06a, 6/30/23
In reply to Woods Ag
I would hate myself so much if Harden were on the Mavs.
Guitarsoup
8:19a, 6/30/23
Simmons is just saying that because he clearly hates the Mavs.
HawthornAggie
9:00a, 6/30/23
Every time y'all post something from Simmons it makes me wonder why he is listened to in the first place
Guitarsoup
9:11a, 6/30/23
You should hear how awful the other basketball podcasts are.

Listening for Ryen Russillo.
zgolfz85
9:17a, 6/30/23
I actually like rusillo over BS, but they're both anti mavs for some reason
zgolfz85
9:18a, 6/30/23
Does it weird anyone else out that THJ looks nothing like THS? Conspiracy?
shack009
9:18a, 6/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
He also really hates Kyrie. Kyrie certainly is flakey, but we all know why the vitriol has gone up in recent years. We were all there listening in 2021 when everyone was yelling at Kyrie to just get the vaccine so he could play. They aren't admitting now that Kyrie actually had the smarter position than them.

There is a giant difference between Kyrie and Harden. Kyrie has been there before and can contribute to winning, especially in the playoffs. Harden has a long history of choking in the playoffs and not contributing to winning.
zgolfz85
9:23a, 6/30/23
In reply to shack009
Yep, more than leaving Boston and all the other stuff that just isn't that big a deal, no one will admit that they hate him because of the vax stuff. He was 100% right and I honestly lost a couple friends (not good ones obviously) standing up for kyrie and anti vaxxers in general. They were all right and I 100% regret taking the vax….never wanted to, was an employer bs situation
M.C. Swag
9:30a, 6/30/23
In reply to Woods Ag
1) It's a stupid trade the Mavs would never do unless the Sixers are including assets. Like, why would the Mavs HELP facilitate a trade for a worse player on a 1 year deal? "Because otherwise they lose Kyrie for nothing"....no, if Kyrie wants his money, he's signing with the Mavs. Period. Unless he's so anti-capitalist that he'd actually sign for the MLE, then honestly....good for him. I'd rather have cap space than James Harden.

2) Simmons is completely oblivious to the cap. Teams that receive a Sign and Traded player are hardcapped at the first apron ($172m). This needs to tattooed on every person in this forum who suggest a SnT idea or is worried about a SnT possibility lol.

The Sixers are currently at $194m payroll with cap holds. Assuming Kyrie gets the max and the Mavs are willing to trade him to Philly, that means Kyrie's 1st year salary is $47m. The Sixers would need to 1) shed enough salary to get below the apron AND acquire Kyrie. Which means getting rid of $69m worth of salary. 2) Even if they did that (which they could), they couldn't acquire any other players for anything more than the vet min.

tl;dr - Simmons is coasting and has no idea what he's talking about. His podcast is simply drama for drama's sake. He has no insight, analysis, or ideas.
Guitarsoup
9:37a, 6/30/23
The 76ers can work with a hard cap at 172, though. They are at 157 now with Harden and I don't think Kyrie is guaranteed the full max, especially if he wants to force his way through a needle to go to a place like Philly.

Maxey is still at 4.3.
M.C. Swag
9:40a, 6/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
They're at 157 if they renounce all their cap holds. Dallas is comfortable offering Kyrie $40m/yr. Why would he leverage his way out of Dallas for anything less than the full max if he has a $40m offer? It makes no sense. And it makes less sense that Dallas would feel any sort of obligation to ASSIST in his exit.
zgolfz85
9:45a, 6/30/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

1) It's a stupid trade the Mavs would never do unless the Sixers are including assets. Like, why would the Mavs HELP facilitate a trade for a worse player on a 1 year deal? "Because otherwise they lose Kyrie for nothing"....no, if Kyrie wants his money, he's signing with the Mavs. Period. Unless he's so anti-capitalist that he'd actually sign for the MLE, then honestly....good for him. I'd rather have cap space than James Harden.

2) Simmons is completely oblivious to the cap. Teams that receive a Sign and Traded player are hardcapped at the first apron ($172m). This needs to tattooed on every person in this forum who suggest a SnT idea or is worried about a SnT possibility lol.

The Sixers are currently at $194m payroll with cap holds. Assuming Kyrie gets the max and the Mavs are willing to trade him to Philly, that means Kyrie's 1st year salary is $47m. The Sixers would need to 1) shed enough salary to get below the apron AND acquire Kyrie. Which means getting rid of $69m worth of salary. 2) Even if they did that (which they could), they couldn't acquire any other players for anything more than the vet min.

tl;dr - Simmons is coasting and has no idea what he's talking about. His podcast is simply drama for drama's sake. He has no insight, analysis, or ideas.
yes, BS is falling off quick. He's been so ****ing lazy lately. Even the nba pod hosts with like 11 follows know the basics of the new CBA and aprons at this point.
Guitarsoup
9:50a, 6/30/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

They're at 157 if they renounce all their cap holds. Dallas is comfortable offering Kyrie $40m/yr. Why would he leverage his way out of Dallas for anything less than the full max if he has a $40m offer? It makes no sense. And it makes less sense that Dallas would feel any sort of obligation to ASSIST in his exit.
I'm not about to try to attach any sort of logic to anything Kyrie Irving says or does. If he wants to go somewhere and thinks he has a better chance to win or be the primary ball handler, then maybe he does that.

Agree Dallas doesn't have to play ball. And Philly only has Swaps to use until 2029, because their odd picks are already traded. But if Philly really wanted him and Dallas didn't want Harden, you could do like Melton+Tobias+24/26/28 swaps and the 29 first, or bring in a 3rd team. I assume Maxey is off the table for them.

But Philly could definitely work within the hard cap scenario if they really wanted.
Guitarsoup
9:51a, 6/30/23
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

M.C. Swag said:

yes, BS is falling off quick. He's been so ****ing lazy lately. Even the nba pod hosts with like 11 follows know the basics of the new CBA and aprons at this point.
In his draft recap, he thought Lively was like Christian Wood. It was super cringey.
M.C. Swag
9:54a, 6/30/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

M.C. Swag said:

I'm not about to try to attach any sort of logic to anything Kyrie Irving says or does. If he wants to go somewhere and thinks he has a better chance to win or be the primary ball handler, then maybe he does that.

Agree Dallas doesn't have to play ball. And Philly only has Swaps to use until 2029, because their odd picks are already traded. But if Philly really wanted him and Dallas didn't want Harden, you could do like Melton+Tobias+24/26/28 swaps and the 29 first, or bring in a 3rd team. I assume Maxey is off the table for them.

But Philly could definitely work within the hard cap scenario if they really wanted.
I said they 'could' in my post above. But no one seems to acknowledge the insane amount of cap restriction they'd put themselves in by doing so.
Craigy
10:03a, 6/30/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I would hate myself so much if Harden were on the Mavs.
This would end my Mavs love
shack009
11:00a, 6/30/23

Yuta way up there in TS%. I really hope the Mavs are exploring him as an option.

On the other hand: Dillon Brooks has terrible efficiency and extremely high volume.
shack009
11:07a, 6/30/23

Indiana going to throw more money at Bruce Brown?
shack009
11:09a, 6/30/23

Anybody have access to Stein's info that wants to share with the group?
zgolfz85
1:51p, 6/30/23
https://www.si.com/nba/mavericks/news/dwight-powell-dallas-mavs-free-agency-rumors

was hoping next season would be minus powell
Guitarsoup
2:07p, 6/30/23
Pacers may give Bruce Brown 20mm/yr
FTAco07
2:09p, 6/30/23
I like bringing DP back as long as he's the third center. This would require either getting rid of JaVale (fingers crossed) or trading Holmes and JaVale for a TBD starting big man. I just don't see us carrying 4 true centers at the salaries they would all be at.
Zachary Klement
2:23p, 6/30/23
Saw someone on Twitter say that Powell is going to be our Udonis Haslem.
M.C. Swag
2:46p, 6/30/23
In reply to Zachary Klement
lol i wish! That'd mean he never plays!
PatAg
2:52p, 6/30/23
What is this nonsense that people only dislike Kyrie because he didnt want to take the vaccine.
Sports media/fans have disliked him long before that. Je has ended up being locker room cancer at every team he has played at.
The vaccine take was just the latest in a long line of "stupid" things he has said in the press that they dont like.

No one ever says he is bad at the game itself
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 2 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off