***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
145,706 Views | 3306 Replies
M.C. Swag
8:04a, 10/26/23
In reply to mavsfan4ever
mavsfan4ever said:

Lively was amazing. I wasn't expecting much at all from him.

How did hardy get 0 minutes? That's insane. And how did djj get minutes?? That's also insane. But we have kidd.

Great road win. I'll take it to start the year. LFG

I think he's hurt. He was questionable with an ankle coming into the game.
jeffdjohnson
8:44a, 10/26/23
Wemby looks like a taller KD. Only injuries could hold him back. The Spurs also got him at a nice point in their rebuild where they have some young players Sochan/Vassell/Johnson to build around, plus good draft capital. That is the one frustrating thing about the Mavs when they got Luka. First, they had to trade a pick to even get Luka. Of course it was worth it but still starts you at an asset deficit. Then they really didn't embrace the tank early enough pre-Luka and didn't have any young core in place before Luka showed up. Hopefully getting some late hits on Lively/Hardy/Green/O-Max can start to fix that issue.

I don't think Maxi can be a small ball center anymore. That peaked two years ago. At best he is a backup 4 and can try to guard backup big wings with Grant Williams playing the starters. Powell, Holmes or both will need to get backup center minutes. I think Holmes might be washed though so Powell is still going to be getting important minutes unfortunately. While it would be nice to have a decent backup center, I'm just glad Lively looks like a legit NBA center so early. I would still bank on foul trouble limiting his minutes in quite a few games though.
M.C. Swag
9:20a, 10/26/23
Zachary Klement
11:21a, 10/26/23
In reply to jeffdjohnson
jeffdjohnson said:

Wemby looks like a taller KD. Only injuries could hold him back. The Spurs also got him at a nice point in their rebuild where they have some young players Sochan/Vassell/Johnson to build around, plus good draft capital. That is the one frustrating thing about the Mavs when they got Luka. First, they had to trade a pick to even get Luka. Of course it was worth it but still starts you at an asset deficit. Then they really didn't embrace the tank early enough pre-Luka and didn't have any young core in place before Luka showed up. Hopefully getting some late hits on Lively/Hardy/Green/O-Max can start to fix that issue.

I don't think Maxi can be a small ball center anymore. That peaked two years ago. At best he is a backup 4 and can try to guard backup big wings with Grant Williams playing the starters. Powell, Holmes or both will need to get backup center minutes. I think Holmes might be washed though so Powell is still going to be getting important minutes unfortunately. While it would be nice to have a decent backup center, I'm just glad Lively looks like a legit NBA center so early. I would still bank on foul trouble limiting his minutes in quite a few games though.
Super jealous of their lottery luck. We have been about as unlucky as possible while they have had great luck with the lottery.
shack009
12:59p, 10/26/23
In reply to Zachary Klement
We got lucky this year. We got our projected pick and if we moved up in the lottery we would have drafted Taylor Hendricks, who got 2 minutes in mop up duty last night for a Jazz team that is trying to be young. Instead we ended up with future All Star DLII.
EllisCoAg
10:20p, 10/27/23
Luka magic tonight
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
fightinags2013
10:56p, 10/27/23
Luka was on one tonight. Wow what a performance. And the circus shot was over Dorian
shack009
12:25a, 10/28/23
I had the game on in the second half but most of my attention was on the Rangers. Can someone explain why Lively started but only played 17 minutes while Powell played 13 minutes, a lot of which came in the 4th quarter?

Lively wasn't in foul trouble and he was +1 while Powell was -6.
zgolfz85
4:12a, 10/28/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I had the game on in the second half but most of my attention was on the Rangers. Can someone explain why Lively started but only played 17 minutes while Powell played 13 minutes, a lot of which came in the 4th quarter?

Lively wasn't in foul trouble and he was +1 while Powell was -6.

Same, was 99.9% focused on rangers, but mavs during commercials etc. my only guess is j Kidd gonna j Kidd
M.C. Swag
7:23a, 10/28/23
In reply to shack009
Because Jason Kidd is a terrorist
NoahAg
1:29p, 10/30/23
Game 3 tonight at the Grizzlies.
Fun fact: Mavs are undefeated on the road this season. On pace for 82-0.
Not so fun fact: Desmond Bane is really good and could've been a Mav.
shack009
1:41p, 10/30/23
In reply to NoahAg
Grizzlies are 0-3 to start the year. Naturally, David Roddy and Marcus Smart will go off against us.
shack009
9:27p, 10/30/23
No Kyrie and the Mavs win on the road. Derrick Jones Jr with a nice game.
HawthornAggie
10:12p, 10/30/23
W
South Platte
1:45p, 10/31/23
I'm moderately encouraged. Last year we found a way to lose at least 1 of these games.
Guitarsoup
2:02p, 10/31/23

TLDR: Luka is a good basketball player
shack009
2:04p, 10/31/23
In reply to South Platte
South Platte said:

I'm moderately encouraged. Last year we found a way to lose at least 1 of these games.
Agreed. We have played 3 bad teams but have got the job done. We lost 2 games to Charlotte last year down the stretch when we were still fighting for the playoffs.

I expect the team to only get better as Lively learns on the fly and the team gels more.
shack009
2:09p, 10/31/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
I really hope the pace stuff is not just everyone (Luka) having fresh legs early in the year. I hope Luka has learned that he can get easier looks and more assists if he pushes the ball and we see it continue throughout the year.
shack009
9:56p, 11/1/23
4-0 and we had a bad Luka game. We didn't win these last year. Maybe something is different.
NoahAg
10:56a, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
Expectations are so high with Luka even his "bad" games have plenty of good. Some really good assists in this one. I think he and Lively will get along just fine.

I know we are 4 games in, but is it safe to say the front office scored an A+ this offseason?

Quest for 82-0 continues.
shack009
10:59a, 11/2/23
In reply to NoahAg
I watched the highlights and Lively was in a lot of them. He had 13 rebounds and 6 assists. That draft pick was a home run.
Guitarsoup
12:35p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I watched the highlights and Lively was in a lot of them. He had 13 rebounds and 6 assists. That draft pick was a home run.
For a rebounder, putback guy and a roller/dunker, it seems he is well ready for the job. 9/8 in just 23mpg.

Kind of funny:
Shots when he touches the ball less than 2 seconds: 87.5% FG%
Shots when he touches the ball more than 2 seconds: 33% FG%

DON'T DRIBBLE DERECK!

Players are shooting about their average when defended by him within 6' of the rim and about 2% below their average when defended by him within 10' of the rim. Considering he has only played 4 games, I think that is a huge plus and shows he could become a really good defender going forward if he is at baseline or below right now.
M.C. Swag
3:00p, 11/2/23
4-0 and I'm about ready to eat crow.

I said Lively was a wasted pick and didn't belong anywhere near the lottery...well after 4 games, I'm ready to take the L. He's been phenomenal. He still has fouling issues and gets lost on offense from time to time, but his impact on this roster is undeniable. He's the Mavs starting Center and the best one we've had for some time. His ability to connect the offense from distributor to shooter is something most vets struggle with, but Lively had 2 or 3 assists in the short roll that were truly incredible. He crashes the boards, alters shots, and plugs all the holes on this defense. I can't sing his praises enough. Just please stop fouling lol.

The bulls game was my favorite of the year because even with no kyrie, a mediocre Luka, and a bad Josh Green, we still won. The Mavs as a collective whole, beat a team in the clutch. Let's go.
shack009
3:55p, 11/2/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
Also Kidd was playing Hardy in the clutch, which is interesting considering he was DNPCD in each of the first two games. Hardy made Kidd look smart for playing him, as he usually does.
Guitarsoup
3:56p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Also Kidd was playing Hardy in the clutch, which is interesting considering he was DNPCD in each of the first two games. Hardy made Kidd look smart for playing him, as he usually does.
Wasn't Hardy nicked up a bit earlier in the season?
M.C. Swag
3:57p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

He was on the injury report and listed as "Questionable" at least. Hard to tell if it was 100% a DNP if he was still recovering that ankle.

Either way it was a good move to put him in.
shack009
3:59p, 11/2/23
I guess that's true that Hardy was probably rested the first two games to recover from injury. Either way, it is a good sign that he is in the rotation, and even in consideration for minutes late in the game (probably only if there is no Kyrie or Luka available) if he is performing well.
shack009
6:25p, 11/2/23
We had friends just invite us to the Spurs-Suns game tonight because they have extra suite tickets. Get to see Wemby up close and personal. Be jealous, Guitarsoup.
Guitarsoup
9:21p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

We had friends just invite us to the Spurs-Suns game tonight because they have extra suite tickets. Get to see Wemby up close and personal. Be jealous, Guitarsoup.

Yeah well, I got to see a Flute and Viola duet, so there.
Guitarsoup
11:30p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Yeah, so I'm gonna need you to travel with the Spurs for the next 10-15 years.
shack009
11:32p, 11/2/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Lol it was a fun game. When the Spurs used Wemby, they dominated. Glad the spurs could go 2-0 against the suns.
shack009
11:32p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Lol it was a fun game. When the Spurs used Wemby, they dominated. Glad the spurs could go 2-0 against the suns.

Stole both in Phoenix.
Guitarsoup
11:41p, 11/2/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

shack009 said:

Stole both in Phoenix.

Which is especially beautiful because Suns fans hate the Spurs more than anything.
shack009
11:43p, 11/2/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

shack009 said:

shack009 said:

Stole both in Phoenix.

Which is especially beautiful because Suns fans hate the Spurs more than anything.

I know y'all have the history from the mid to late 00's but the Suns-Mavs hate online is fresh and new from the 2021 playoffs.
FriscoKid
9:30p, 11/3/23
This Denver floor is really bad. It's hard to watch this game with the stupid paint job in their stupid arena. Who in the hell thought this was a good idea? Someone's kid?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 13 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings