M.C. Swag said:

Oof was wanting pj or grant
Ol Jock 99
11:31a, 7/5/23
He's a good defender, yes?
M.C. Swag
12:00p, 7/5/23
In reply to Ol Jock 99
Ya he's a very good defender but not much else. High character guy with a great work ethic though. Fans will fall in love with his personality and he'll be an asset in the locker room.

Also dallas is still exploring a SnT with PJ Washington. No idea how that gets done, but just the chatter. Either way, if you had told me pre draft that Bertans + 10th pick would become:
Lively, OMax, Homes and Thybulle, I would have been happy with that.
shack009
12:20p, 7/5/23
In 22 games with Portland, Thybulle shot 39% from 3 on 3.9 attempts per game, the highest volume and percentage of his career. He's also all-defense caliber. Great signing if he's anything close to his Portland shooting-self. I'm assuming this is some splitting of the MLE.

As other's have said, hopefully we can add PJ Washington from CHA, and this will have been a really nice off-season. Maybe some type if 3-team trade with Boston where Charlotte gets Grant Williams, we get PJ, and we send out Javale and THJ, possibly Holmes also.

Zachary Klement
12:33p, 7/5/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

In 22 games with Portland, Thybulle shot 39% from 3 on 3.9 attempts per game, the highest volume and percentage of his career. He's also all-defense caliber. Great signing if he's anything close to his Portland shooting-self. I'm assuming this is some splitting of the MLE.

As other's have said, hopefully we can add PJ Washington from CHA, and this will have been a really nice off-season. Maybe some type if 3-team trade with Boston where Charlotte gets Grant Williams, we get PJ, and we send out Javale and THJ, possibly Holmes also.

What would we have to move in a S&T for PJ? I don't have a firm grasp on all the trade and money mechanisms in the NBA.
shack009
12:41p, 7/5/23
In reply to Zachary Klement
I have no idea. But I'm sure it's not as simple as moving THJ's $17 million and PJ's new contract being $17 million-ish.
Zachary Klement
12:42p, 7/5/23
In reply to shack009
LOL these things never seem to be that simple.
Guitarsoup
1:17p, 7/5/23
I thought Grant for the mle was a done deal
shack009
3:03p, 7/5/23
Would much rather have Washington, even if it's for more annually. Split the MLE between Thybulle and Seth, roll the bi-annual to next year.
Guitarsoup
6:10p, 7/5/23
Guitarsoup
6:15p, 7/5/23

M.C. Swag
6:19p, 7/5/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

all in due time
Guitarsoup
6:20p, 7/5/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Guitarsoup said:

all in due time
Really? Because you didn't get him for the MLE.

hph6203
6:22p, 7/5/23
Still feels like something else is gonna be done. Maybe the Thybulle signing (or attempt to sign) is a move to fill the MLE with Curry/Thybulle, but they need to add a big.
Guitarsoup
6:27p, 7/5/23
In reply to M.C. Swag

Quote:

Either way, if you had told me pre draft that Bertans + 10th pick would become:

Lively, OMax, Homes and Thybulle, I would have been happy with that.
Update:

Bertans, Bullock, #10, 2030 1st round pick swap

for

Lively
OMax
Holmes
Grant Williams

Thybulle is offered with an exception, so he wouldn't count, just like Curry wouldn't count.

Still a really great haul and use of moves.
M.C. Swag
6:28p, 7/5/23
In reply to Guitarsoup
We wouldn't have had access to the full MLE and BAE without the Bertans trade. So they still count.
Spaceship
6:35p, 7/5/23
Sell me on why we should be excited about Grant Williams.
zgolfz85
6:38p, 7/5/23
In reply to Spaceship
Spaceship said:

Defense, effort, can play 3/4/5. He's a physical non Dallas like non finesse player
Guitarsoup
6:39p, 7/5/23
In reply to Spaceship
Spaceship said:

D&3, but as a (short) power forward. On offense, he is a great shooter and will get out of the way. On defense, you put him on ball and allow Lively to roam as rim protector.

Look up what Grant Williams did to Giannis last year (2022) in the playoffs.

He's your guy to drink Durant's milkshake. They can all shoot over him, but he will be your guy to man up on Anthony Davis (assuming he is playing), LeBron, Durant, possibly Joker.

He will struggle against quicker wings, but that is what Thybulle will excel at.
M.C. Swag
6:47p, 7/5/23
In reply to Spaceship
A young Forward with bonafide playoff experience that is small but strong. Knows how to get into players and leverage his body to force tough shots. He's a bit annoying but works hard and has tons of room for improvement. Willing to come off the bench or start.

All around really good pickup. Add in the fact that we're getting multiple 2nd round picks, and it's the cherry on top. The Mavs have significantly improved their roster imo.
shack009
7:05p, 7/5/23
We're still looking at a Powell/Holmes/Lively/McGee (sometimes Maxi) center rotation, which is certainly less than ideal.

Would still love to get PJ Washington somehow and offload THJ and/or Javale.
Ol Jock 99
7:09p, 7/5/23
I don't know enough about the NBA to opine on the moves individually, but it certainly appears that we have been very creative and intentional about addressing glaring needs for the first time in a long time.

-2nd all star level player
-physicality and defense
-pure shooters

Will it be enough? We'll see. But the effort to fix the problems is there.
Guitarsoup
7:35p, 7/5/23
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

We're still looking at a Powell/Holmes/Lively/McGee (sometimes Maxi) center rotation, which is certainly less than ideal.

Would still love to get PJ Washington somehow and offload THJ and/or Javale.

PJ doesn't help at center. Maybe better offensively, worse defensively than Grant. I can't see bringing both in
hph6203
8:49p, 7/5/23
alvtimes
8:58p, 7/5/23
Not great on NBA stuff but Bol Bol seems like a no brainer if Mavs can get for same contract he got waived from 2.5??? Am I totally wrong here?
J.P. 03
9:13p, 7/5/23
In reply to alvtimes
I'm not great about following non-Mavs NBA players either but I'm hoping that's their next move after finding a taker for JaVale McGee. I was also mildly intrigued by Mo Bamba getting bought out, but sounds like he's going to Philly (also sounds like he's been injured a lot, so probably dodging a bullet here)
M.C. Swag
6:45a, 7/6/23

Perfect encapsulation of Grant as a defender.
Zachary Klement
10:48a, 7/6/23
Blazers matched.
zgolfz85
10:50a, 7/6/23
Zachary Klement said:

Blazers matched.
****!
M.C. Swag
10:51a, 7/6/23
Ya that's a bummer. Options are dwindling. There's a chance the Mavs bring some of the MLE into the season for buyout candidates.
Zachary Klement
10:57a, 7/6/23
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Zachary Klement said:

Blazers matched.
****!

Don't get why they'd want to do that if they are shipping Dame out.
NoahAg
11:13a, 7/6/23
Zachary Klement said:

Blazers matched.
Guitarsoup
11:50a, 7/6/23
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Ya that's a bummer. Options are dwindling. There's a chance the Mavs bring some of the MLE into the season for buyout candidates.

You can trade a player into an exception now, too
Vinny
12:54p, 7/6/23
Not too concerned about losing Thybulle. I think we can still find a defensive first guy but perhaps a more well rounded option. Options are getting a little lean though.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 6 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings