***Official 2023 - 2024 Dallas Mavericks Season Thread***
157,559 Views | 3555 Replies
gigem1223
8:08p, 2/5/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

The Bucks and Mavericks, league sources say, have held exploratory discussions on a trade that would swap Milwaukee's Bobby Portis Jr. and Dallas newcomer Grant Williams.

5 hours ago via marcstein.substack.com

Yes please
gigem1223
8:09p, 2/5/24
Josh Green is playing some fantastic ball lately
zgolfz85
8:55p, 2/5/24
Rough night for thj…oof
NoahAg
10:42a, 2/6/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

Rough night for thj…oof

Yeah but Maxi with 14!
How good are you when you go 19 pts, 8 boards and I'm thinking "what's wrong with Luka?"
Grapesoda2525
12:51p, 2/6/24
Will a trade be made?

They need one.
Guitarsoup
1:00p, 2/6/24
In reply to Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525 said:

Will a trade be made?

They need one.
Trade market sucks, though. Overpay for Kuz or PJ Washington?
M.C. Swag
1:18p, 2/6/24
In reply to Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525 said:

Will a trade be made?

They need one.
Unlikely. Unless something obvious falls into their lap, i wouldn't force it. Pay off the pick owed to the Knicks and the Mavs will have Richaun Holmes+THJ expiring+3 FRPs and 4 swaps.

I'd love to get a combo deal of Deni Avdija+Gafford but there's no way we can do that with Kyrie in the lockerroom.

I'd see if the Bulls are willing to dump Patrick Williams for like Hardy+2nd round pick or if the Pacers are looking to move Obi Toppin before his FA. Otherwise...there's nothing super obvious that moves the needle.
shack009
1:22p, 2/6/24
Only guy that would do anything for me is PJ Washington, and I really wouldn't want to give up a 1st for him. I'm out on Kuzma, Wiggins, or Portis.

If we don't make a move now, we'll have 3 1st rounders we can trade in the offseason. I get the feeling the front office thinks the first half has gone as badly as possible in terms of injuries and poor play from contributors, they probably don't feel the need to make a rash decision.
shack009
1:23p, 2/6/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Will a trade be made?

They need one.
Deni Avdija
The jokes write themselves.
M.C. Swag
1:24p, 2/6/24
In reply to shack009
lol of course they do, that's why i said it would never happen. But he'd be a great on court fit with this roster.
shack009
1:25p, 2/6/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

lol of course they do, that's why I said it would never happen. But he'd be a great on court fit with this roster.
Stop it I can't take it anymore.
gigem1223
8:06p, 2/6/24
This team really struggles to put teams away when up big
gigem1223
8:15p, 2/6/24
Nice close to the 3rd
zgolfz85
8:23p, 2/6/24
GD I hate j Kidd. Should've called a timeout 5 mins ago
gigem1223
8:30p, 2/6/24
Get Powell off the damn floor. Every time he's on they make a run
zgolfz85
8:32p, 2/6/24
Luka and ags have the same FT shooting coach
shack009
8:42p, 2/6/24
Grant Williams is not fun to watch
shack009
8:48p, 2/6/24
Luka doesn't get a triple double when he was at 9 assists with 6 minutes left.
zgolfz85
8:52p, 2/6/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

Luka doesn't get a triple double when he was at 9 assists with 6 minutes left.

I hate when he doesn't force one when he's sitting on 9. I feel like he's left like 30 triple doubles on the table at this point in his career. I'm not for stat padding, but come on
M.C. Swag
9:00a, 2/7/24

What do we think?
shack009
10:30a, 2/7/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
M.C. Swag said:

What do we think?
I like PJ but I don't know that I like anybody on our team who would take Green's minutes. I would like to give up a little less. Josh may be starting to come around a little.

For Charlotte, the whole point of being a seller is that you don't really get decent players that can help you win now, and I don't know why they would want that. Not sure why they wouldn't just take THJ and a couple 2nds, and THJ will help them lose a lot of games this year and next year, and his contract will be up right after they have had 3 top draft picks.
zgolfz85
11:12a, 2/7/24
once Lively is back, the PJ trade is a lot less compelling. Josh does look like he's starting to turn a corner for the season as of the last few games and he played great last night. I think we need to hold him back as better trade value off season or next year, or if he really starts to excel, make him a permanent staple
shack009
11:19a, 2/7/24
In reply to zgolfz85
You actually do the PJ trade to put him next to Lively. PJ and Mark Williams were one of the best defensive combinations in the second half of the year last year. Sure he would play some small ball 5 also, but you love to have him next to Lively for some skilled size and rebounding that this team hasn't had in forever.
Vinny
12:54p, 2/7/24
In reply to zgolfz85
zgolfz85 said:

once Lively is back, the PJ trade is a lot less compelling. Josh does look like he's starting to turn a corner for the season as of the last few games and he played great last night. I think we need to hold him back as better trade value off season or next year, or if he really starts to excel, make him a permanent staple

The problem with this idea is going back to his year at Duke Lively has been out for injury a LOT. We definitely need more size at 4-5 to make up for minutes when he's out. We don't have a backup center at all and I'm not sold that PJ is the answer as he's more of a 3-4. That's why I'm more of a fan of Gafford. Regardless we need size because the days of trying to use Powell and Kleber at center are over.
M.C. Swag
1:24p, 2/7/24
In reply to Vinny
Vinny said:

zgolfz85 said:

The problem with this idea is going back to his year at Duke Lively has been out for injury a LOT. We definitely need more size at 4-5 to make up for minutes when he's out. We don't have a backup center at all and I'm not sold that PJ is the answer as he's more of a 3-4. That's why I'm more of a fan of Gafford. Regardless we need size because the days of trying to use Powell and Kleber at center are over.
He was available for every game at Duke? And his only NBA injuries were flukes (a rolled ankle in which Scoot Henderson dove at his legs for a loose ball and a broken nose). It's not like he has knee/back/foot issues (which are truly worrying big man injuries).
shack009
1:44p, 2/7/24
I heard on a radio segment that Lively is refusing to play in a mask. What in the world is up with that? So he would rather sit out for longer while his nose heals instead of playing with a protective mask? That is such a red flag, if true.
M.C. Swag
1:52p, 2/7/24
In reply to shack009
shack009 said:

I heard on a radio segment that Lively is refusing to play in a mask. What in the world is up with that? So he would rather sit out for longer while his nose heals instead of playing with a protective mask? That is such a red flag, if true.
Luka did the same thing last night. He tried the mask and then took it off. Most players don't like it. That doesn't mean he's sitting out longer. He just had surgery on Monday to have his nose fixed, so he wasn't going to be able to play no matter what.
shack009
1:55p, 2/7/24
In reply to M.C. Swag
Yeah but at least Luka was playing. For whatever reason, the way it seemed to be implied what I heard about Lively is that he will sit out until his nose is healed before playing with a mask. But if he's fine playing with a still healing broken nose and no mask then good on him I guess.
zgolfz85
10:30a, 2/8/24
Gafford to the Mavs...not sure what we're giving up...

Guitarsoup
10:31a, 2/8/24

Good move.
PatAg
11:02a, 2/8/24
Seems like an excellent move that addresses a weakness
M.C. Swag
11:03a, 2/8/24
In reply to PatAg
PatAg said:

Seems like an excellent move that addresses a weakness
Gotta see the draft comp. As long as we aren't touching Green or any of our FRPs, I'm thrilled with it.
PatAg
11:04a, 2/8/24
Side benefit, this means Powell is on the floor less once Lively is back
shack009
11:05a, 2/8/24
Draft compensation better mean 2 second round picks or something like that. Giving up a first seems wild.
zgolfz85
11:07a, 2/8/24
draft comp is coming from OKC

CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 24 of 102
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE