***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************
178,102 Views | 3299 Replies
Guitarsoup
10:28a, 5/9/24
In reply to Enzo The Baker
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I'd imagine those measurements will change after it being a year. Love those Sarr measurements. He and Victor in the front court would be crazy defensively.
The S&C coach at Kentucky said Rob was up to 172 before the season start. But not sure many of these guys are still growing.

People keep bagging on Sarr saying he can't shoot, but 52/30/75 or whatever is solid for a 18yo in a professional league. If he is a motor, and it seems like he does, I would love to bring him in. All he really has to do is be a screener/roll man and hit corner threes on offense.

I'm also listening to the no ceilings podcast on Sarr and they address his rebounding concerns. They go on to say that per 36, Sarr is the best offensive rebounder in the draft (big if Victor played as our stretch) and his defensive rebound numbers are adversely impacted by his current team's scheme.
Imagine the defense in three years if we get Sarr then Castle.
Enzo The Baker
10:35a, 5/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I'd imagine those measurements will change after it being a year. Love those Sarr measurements. He and Victor in the front court would be crazy defensively.
The S&C coach at Kentucky said Rob was up to 172 before the season start. But not sure many of these guys are still growing.

People keep bagging on Sarr saying he can't shoot, but 52/30/75 or whatever is solid for a 18yo in a professional league. If he is a motor, and it seems like he does, I would love to bring him in. All he really has to do is be a screener/roll man and hit corner threes on offense.

I'm also listening to the no ceilings podcast on Sarr and they address his rebounding concerns. They go on to say that per 36, Sarr is the best offensive rebounder in the draft (big if Victor played as our stretch) and his defensive rebound numbers are adversely impacted by his current team's scheme.

Flash forward to draft day, we only end up getting our own pick at 8 and take Dalton Knecht.
Guitarsoup
10:40a, 5/9/24
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Flash forward to draft day, we only end up getting our own pick at 8 and take Dalton Knecht.

No defense shooter that's 23yo in top ten? I don't see it

Matas, JaKobe, or Cody. Maybe Salaun over him, too
Enzo The Baker
10:42a, 5/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
There was a guy on reddit that talked to a Spurs scout at a Tennessee game and apparently they were high on him. I was just saying it more as an extreme opposite of our best case scenario.
Sher Thing
11:09a, 5/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

I mean Anthony Edwards averaged 19ppg on 40% shooting and 29% 3PT. At some point when the guys are this young you have to draft on potential. Personally, I think Dilly's ceiling is higher than Sheppard based on his offensive abilities and athleticism.

Ant was also 6'5 230 with 41" vertical

I think Dilly's ceiling is Lou Williams with better shot and floor is Bones Hyland.
Haha that wasn't my point. I wasn't comparing Dilly to Ant. Just saying to caution on putting too much weight on college statistics.
Enzo The Baker
11:15a, 5/9/24
The scout from the Sarr podcast also said at worst, Sarr will be a high floor player, being a big defensive impact guy who can run the floor. He won't be seen as a 'bust' if he is drafted 1st, particularly in this draft. That's kind of how I feel about Castle. He has a high floor with his defense and if he continues to develop offensively, there's room there for all-star potential.

If we get two picks and we walk away with a good defender and a shooter, I'll be happy.
Sher Thing
11:22a, 5/9/24
Yeah if the Spurs think Sarr is the best prospect available then they should select him. The long term fit probably isn't there but he will just turn into another asset to use down the line.

I wouldn't mind taking Knecht with one of the two picks (assuming TOR conveys) if the Spurs are planning on making a move for a Vet in the off-season. Things are amiss in Phoenix and LAC so they could elect to target someone like George, Durant, or Booker although probably unlikely. So many different avenues the Spurs could take this off-season.
Guitarsoup
12:28p, 5/9/24

Tennessee Doug McBuckets is 11 and Risacher is 12.
Enzo The Baker
12:38p, 5/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Crazy that he has Risacher is outside the top 10. I hope he's at the combine next week.
Sher Thing
12:40p, 5/9/24
Combine is mandatory now per the new CBA, I believe.
Enzo The Baker
12:41p, 5/9/24
In reply to Sher Thing
It is but players still playing internationally in playoffs don't have to go to the big one.
Enzo The Baker
12:43p, 5/9/24
KOC has Dunn going to us at 35. 6'8 with a 7'1 wing span. Would be a monster on defense for us. But it's hard to imagine him developing a reliable spot up shot, even with spurs development.
Sher Thing
12:49p, 5/9/24
I would love Dunn in the second round. I also like Devin Carter and Bub Carrington. All three of those guys could go in the first though. Antonio Reeves is another guy I have always liked in college. Kolek is also an interesting name.
Enzo The Baker
12:54p, 5/9/24
In reply to Sher Thing
Devin's dad played for us.
Guitarsoup
1:09p, 5/9/24
Enzo The Baker said:

KOC has Dunn going to us at 35. 6'8 with a 7'1 wing span. Would be a monster on defense for us. But it's hard to imagine him developing a reliable spot up shot, even with spurs development.

If we waste our 1st rounder on Dilly, we have no choice but get Dunn
Enzo The Baker
3:52p, 5/9/24
Another No Ceilings podcast mentioned the highest IQ guys in the lottery as Castle, Topic, Sheppard and Clingan. I think the IQ thing is also a major need for our team that can easily be overlooked.
DTP02
5:32p, 5/9/24
I'd love Kolek in the 2nd personally. The Ringer has him at 35. I think he's underrated and will likely have a long NBA career.
Guitarsoup
7:43p, 5/9/24
In reply to DTP02
DTP02 said:

I'd love Kolek in the 2nd personally. The Ringer has him at 35. . Think he's underrated and will likely have a long NBA career.
Like Kolek a lot as well.

Other potential 2nd rounders I am interest in: Hunter Sallis, Pacome Dadiet, KyShawn George, Johnny Furphy (if you want Aussie McBuckets) , KJ Simpson, Melvin Ajinca, Ryan Dunn, and Alex Karaban
Enzo The Baker
7:49p, 5/9/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Some think Karaban is going back to UCONN to try and up his stock to be 1st next year. He declared but still has eligibility. Would be a great pickup with our later pick.
Guitarsoup
7:53p, 5/9/24
Enzo The Baker said:

Some think Karaban is going back to UCONN to try and up his stock to be 1st next year. He declared but still has eligibility. Would be a great pickup with our later pick.
I just don't think anything he does can up his stock. He's performed about as well as he could. The only thing holding him back is his lack of athleticism . He shot 49/39 across both seasons and has shown high IQ and feel.

I dont think he is going to really improve his stock.
West Texan
12:43p, 5/10/24
Enzo The Baker
12:48p, 5/10/24
In reply to West Texan
We are getting 2 and 7. I'm confident.

Detroit will get 5th.
Enzo The Baker
1:10p, 5/10/24
Givony's most recent write up. The top 4 prospects he has for the spurs are in order of how they are addressed. No Castle.

Quote:

The Spurs struck gold in last year's draft lottery, and this year is icing on the cake while building around Victor Wembanyama's star power. The Spurs' messy Jeremy Sochan experiment only amplified the need for a point guard who can complement Wembanyama's extraordinary skill level, making the draft's top backcourt prospects the natural place to look regardless of where this pick lands.

Dillingham's combination of perimeter shooting, ballhandling and pick-and-roll playmaking gives him significant offensive potential to grow into long term. His size and defensive limitations could be mitigated alongside a future Defensive Player of the Year-caliber rim-protector such as Wembanyama cleaning up mistakes behind him.

Topic is the best passer in this class and has enviable size that allows for significant flexibility in roster construction. He can reliably get the ball where it needs to be but has some questions about his perimeter shooting.

Sheppard's outstanding perimeter shooting, feel for the game and unselfish style of play also make for an intriguing fit for the Spurs both short term and long term. His average physical tools might not be an issue alongside Wembanyama, who could take pressure off Sheppard on both ends of the floor.

Risacher is another safe option in many ways, even if he doesn't answer any of the immediate questions the Spurs have in the backcourt.

Guitarsoup
1:13p, 5/10/24
Enzo The Baker said:

Givony's most recent write up. The top 4 prospects he has for the spurs are in order of how they are addressed. No Castle.

Quote:

The Spurs struck gold in last year's draft lottery, and this year is icing on the cake while building around Victor Wembanyama's star power. The Spurs' messy Jeremy Sochan experiment only amplified the need for a point guard who can complement Wembanyama's extraordinary skill level, making the draft's top backcourt prospects the natural place to look regardless of where this pick lands.

Dillingham's combination of perimeter shooting, ballhandling and pick-and-roll playmaking gives him significant offensive potential to grow into long term. His size and defensive limitations could be mitigated alongside a future Defensive Player of the Year-caliber rim-protector such as Wembanyama cleaning up mistakes behind him.

Topic is the best passer in this class and has enviable size that allows for significant flexibility in roster construction. He can reliably get the ball where it needs to be but has some questions about his perimeter shooting.

Sheppard's outstanding perimeter shooting, feel for the game and unselfish style of play also make for an intriguing fit for the Spurs both short term and long term. His average physical tools might not be an issue alongside Wembanyama, who could take pressure off Sheppard on both ends of the floor.

Risacher is another safe option in many ways, even if he doesn't answer any of the immediate questions the Spurs have in the backcourt.

I feel like a lot of these talking heads don't actually pay attention to teams and what the trans say or how they trend and just look at needs then slot in the top rated players at those needs.
Enzo The Baker
1:19p, 5/10/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Yea. We need a PG but I don't necessarily think the answer for one is in this draft. Defense and shooting would go a lot further for our team.
Guitarsoup
1:31p, 5/10/24
Enzo The Baker said:

Yea. We need a PG but I don't necessarily think the answer for one is in this draft. Defense and shooting would go a lot further for our team.

Plus look at Coby White. He took like 4-5 years to cook.

Better off just signing Tyus for $12M than waiting for major projects to learn the game.

None of these guys are b going to show up and dominate like Luka or Trae.
Guitarsoup
3:00p, 5/10/24
Tynan likes Matas Samanic

Guitarsoup
2:58p, 5/11/24
Vic was destined to be a Spur.

Guitarsoup
3:08p, 5/11/24
Question:

Josh Giddey is unplayable sometimes vs the Mavs. He hasn't learned how to shoot (48/34/81 this year, only shoots wide open catch and shoot threes, and not even corner threes), and his defense is average, but he can guard 1-4. His role in OKC is decreasing and he dropped from 31 to 25mpg this year, despite being healthy (80 games.) He was 17/8/6 last year and 12/6/5 this year. He turns 22 in October.

If OKC doesn't want to give him the extension, because JDub and chet are due extensions the following year, would you want to try to trade for him?
Enzo The Baker
3:20p, 5/11/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
I don't think so. He's not someone I'd want to give up positive assets for. If it was for Keldon, Branham, Wesley and some seconds maybe. But not being able to stay on the floor in the playoffs is a major red flag to me.
Guitarsoup
3:25p, 5/11/24
Enzo The Baker said:

I don't think so. He's not someone I'd want to give up positive assets for. If it was for Keldon, Branham, Wesley and some seconds maybe. But not being able to stay on the floor in the playoffs is a major red flag to me.
Passing/creating is obviously his major skill, but they have that with SGA, chet, Jalen, so it duplicates for them, but is needed for us.
jteagle
3:36p, 5/11/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guess Chip Engalland isn't a complete miracle worker.

I would also say no to trading for him. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to trade for a poor defender who can't shoot. We can draft Topic and have that for less money and give up no assets.
Guitarsoup
4:00p, 5/11/24
In reply to jteagle
jteagle said:

Guess Chip Engalland isn't a complete miracle worker.

I would also say no to trading for him. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to trade for a poor defender who can't shoot. We can draft Topic and have that for less money and give up no assets.

I don't think he's poor, I think he's average.

Offensively, he does a good job cutting and rolling and gets about half his 2p off assists.

https://craftednba.com/players/josh-giddey

The cost is real, I have no clue what he would want for his extension.

The only benefit is you could have Pop 's dream tall lineup but having a 6'8 PG that can defend multiple positions
Enzo The Baker
4:00p, 5/11/24
Kiss of death. Who do we want with the 8th pick?
Guitarsoup
4:21p, 5/11/24
Enzo The Baker said:

Kiss of death. Who do we want with the 8th pick?

I'm sure one of Risacher, Salaun, Sheppard, Castle will be there. Maybe move down and get Pacome Dadiet.

Tristan De Silva to get as PF to play next to SF Sochan. Hopefully he won't invade Sochan's space.

Cody Williams is the jack of all trades, master of none. Maybe he keeps improving everywhere like his brother did. Or do we like him just because he is a taller version of his brother?

Maybe Ron Holland if they think we can teach him how to play basketball and not just how to dunk in transition.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 86 of 95
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings