************* Houston Rockets 23-24 Season thread ****************
55,995 Views | 639 Replies
Beau Holder
9:43p, 3/27/24
In reply to WES2006AG
Think it's the first game I've actually watched beginning to end and it's been ridiculous. I could get used to this.

Green with Thompson as Robin carried the entire game until OT.
CFTXAG10
9:47p, 3/27/24
Great effort. Took a little more than I expected with Shai out
Unemployed
9:48p, 3/27/24
One of the most exciting OT period I've seen.
canadiaggie
9:50p, 3/27/24
Jalen Green can add the Thunder to his list of sons
linkdude
9:48a, 3/28/24
It's a good day to be a fan of Houston sports
The Porkchop Express
10:33a, 3/28/24
In reply to linkdude
linkdude said:

It's a good day to be a fan of Houston sports

Don't encourage Dubose, he's terrible.
WES2006AG
10:37a, 3/28/24
1 game back with 10 to play. Going to be interesting to see if they try to get Sengun back on the floor over the next few weeks.
canadiaggie
10:42a, 3/28/24
Someone who knows basketball Xs and Os give me the real dish:

I think it's obvious Jalen has stepped up his game since the ASB, but how much of an impact does our current personnel/spacing have on his success?

In other words: is Sengun coming back going to **** it all up?
YNWA_AG
11:03a, 3/28/24
In reply to WES2006AG
We need to win 7/8 of these last 10 to have a decent chance. That has to include a win against the warriors too.
Guitarsoup
9:10p, 3/28/24
Have to go to Reddit for the hard hitting journalism.

Dan Scott
9:19p, 3/29/24
Damn Warriors go on road win 3 straight. Easy schedule too rest of way.
mAgnoliAg
10:51p, 3/29/24
**** you Sexton
Unemployed
10:56p, 3/29/24
Aggie09Derek
11:20p, 3/29/24
Harry Dunne
12:13a, 3/30/24
In reply to canadiaggie
canadiaggie said:

Someone who knows basketball Xs and Os give me the real dish:

I think it's obvious Jalen has stepped up his game since the ASB, but how much of an impact does our current personnel/spacing have on his success?

In other words: is Sengun coming back going to **** it all up?
I'm no JJ Redick but the gist of it is that Jalen is at his best driving to the hoop and Sengun is best in the low block, which means Sengun's defender is also there clogging the lane (as opposed to let's say Jabari pulling his defender out).

You could turn that around and say that Sengun's skills are better suited to playing with a 2 with a better outside shot…and Sengun has been pretty damn good as it is. Hopefully Udoka can find a way for them to coexist with Jalen staying at this level he seems to have unlocked…but it's going to be tough to maximize the abilty of two players who are best with the ball in their hands who don't really have complimentary games.
Ryan34
8:07a, 3/30/24
I think the bigger question is whether Amen Thompson and Sengun can coexist. Thompson has basically been playing the dunker spot, so he's not really providing much more spacing than Sengun (although at least he's on the baseline rather than the elbow or post). His defense and athleticism have been game changers though. We can also play at a higher pace, which helps Jalen as well.
Guitarsoup
8:14a, 3/30/24
Do yall think Rockets and Nets will circle back on the nets picks and Green for Bridges? Seems like the Nets screwed that one up and they are almost mathematically eliminated from the play-in and Atlanta has just won 4 straight.
RebAg13
8:36a, 3/30/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Do yall think Rockets and Nets will circle back on the nets picks and Green for Bridges? Seems like the Nets screwed that one up and they are almost mathematically eliminated from the play-in and Atlanta has just won 4 straight.

Green wouldn't be included now.
Ryan34
8:36a, 3/30/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

I could see the Rockets still being interested in Bridges, but no way they give up Green anymore. He's playing like a max level player right now. And it's coming against good teams while the Rockets are winning, which is a big difference from some his hot streaks in the past.
Guitarsoup
9:05a, 3/30/24
In reply to Ryan34
Ryan34 said:

Guitarsoup said:

I could see the Rockets still being interested in Bridges, but no way they give up Green anymore. He's playing like a max level player right now. And it's coming against good teams while the Rockets are winning, which is a big difference from some his hot streaks in the past.
He's been at 49%/42% shooting over the last 15 games and was at .406/.308 for the entire rest of the season.

The other argument is to sell high. Which Jalen Green is the real one? And can Green and Sengun co-exist?

The other big name on the trade market is going to be KAT. He can space the floor and play PF, which would work with Sengun. Minnesota has to trade because they are in luxury tax hell if they keep KAT and ANT's extension kicks in. I don't see them making the WCF.

I think this off-season will have a lot of movement. Especially when Brooklyn doesn't make the playoffs and Houston is able to knock the Warriors out. Phoenix is a cluster****. PG13 is probably going to walk to Philly and make a big 3 with Embiid and Maxey. Lakers are super mid, despite a super healthy Davis/Bron. I think things are gonna get kind of wild.
Head Ninja In Charge
9:41a, 3/30/24
In reply to RebAg13
RebAg13 said:

Guitarsoup said:

Green wouldn't be included now.
I think Green is 100% on the table. His stock is the highest it's ever been and the sample size of this kind of sustained play is literally limited to March 2024. He's probably the most sell-high player in the league right now.
Head Ninja In Charge
9:42a, 3/30/24
With that said, pretty sure we could get better than Bridges if he's part of a deal and I'm a fan of Bridges.
Ryan34
9:46a, 3/30/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Like I said above, I think the better question is Amen Thompson vs Sengun. Thompson's numbers as a starter would be RoY level if not for the alien in San Antonio. 14.5 ppg, 10.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.4 steals. Jalen actually started his hot streak before Sengun got hurt.

Jalen + Thompson is likely far better than Sengun + Thompson unless Thompson or Sengun develop an outside shot.
Guitarsoup
9:57a, 3/30/24
In reply to Head Ninja In Charge
Head Ninja In Charge said:

With that said, pretty sure we could get better than Bridges if he's part of a deal and I'm a fan of Bridges.
Former all-NBA player Ben Simmons should be up for grabs, too.

I think the problem with Green for Brooklyn is you wouldn't want a Jalen Green+Cam Thomas+Dennis Schroeder back court. You'd never, ever get a stop again.

If I am the Rockets, I'm not sure I want Cam Johnson for 3y66MM. DFS at 2y30M?

I could see Phoenix falling apart next year with the Double apron and relying on old ass Durant and weak Booker. I would love to get their 25 unprotected pick and maybe one of those swaps.
Guitarsoup
10:05a, 3/30/24
In reply to Ryan34
Ryan34 said:

Like I said above, I think the better question is Amen Thompson vs Sengun. Thompson's numbers as a starter would be RoY level if not for the alien in San Antonio. 14.5 ppg, 10.7 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.4 steals. Jalen actually started his hot streak before Sengun got hurt.

Jalen + Thompson is likely far better than Sengun + Thompson unless Thompson or Sengun develop an outside shot.
I'm a huge Thompson fan and think he is the type of player Ime would love to have long term. Jalen is a lot better offensively, but I think Thompson being far more portable has to weigh in a lot. You can slot him in at 1-3 and move him around. Jalen's secondary creation is pretty good, but long term, I would rather sell high on Green and go with Amen. Amen's already a much better defender, and that obviously plays into Ime's scheme heavily. It really is all about if Amen can get to where he is able to threaten even at a 35% rate from 3. FVV/Amen/Brooks is a scary defensive trio.
AG@RICE
12:12p, 3/30/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Hard pass on KAT. He is not a winning player.
Ryan34
12:17p, 3/30/24
In reply to Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup said:

Ryan34 said:

I'm a huge Thompson fan and think he is the type of player Ime would love to have long term. Jalen is a lot better offensively, but I think Thompson being far more portable has to weigh in a lot. You can slot him in at 1-3 and move him around. Jalen's secondary creation is pretty good, but long term, I would rather sell high on Green and go with Amen. Amen's already a much better defender, and that obviously plays into Ime's scheme heavily. It really is all about if Amen can get to where he is able to threaten even at a 35% rate from 3. FVV/Amen/Brooks is a scary defensive trio.

Agreed, we will definitely keep Thompson. I think his future is as a backcourt player, but right now he's thriving in the frontcourt in a very similar role as Sengun. He probably won't be ready to slide to the backcourt as a starter next year, so he would likely come off the bench if Sengun is on the roster.

Ultimately though, Jalen is playing way too good for us to trade him, especially to the Nets. The reason Jalen has always been frustrating is because he has always had the tools and "potential". Trading him when it looked like he might never put it all together was one thing, but now that he's had an extended period where he has put it together and played winning basketball makes no sense at all. Giving the Nets a guy who would turn their franchise around if he sustains this level of play and thus devalue the draft picks especially makes no sense.

So if we assume the Rockets hold onto Jalen (which is highly likely), then the question becomes Sengun or Thompson. Right now, they play the same spot, and Thompson is probably more than a year away from having a good enough shot to start in the backcourt.
Guitarsoup
12:44p, 3/30/24
In reply to AG@RICE
AG@RICE said:

Hard pass on KAT. He is not a winning player.
I tend to agree and don't like KAT for the same reasons, but he has two-way talent and Minnesota has such a salary crunch while trying to sell the team, that they may move him for less assets than usually required if they get bounced early. Financially, Jalen Green, his father Jeff, Cam, and Jock Landale for KAT works on draft night.

KAT's contract is pretty awful though. Full 35% Max for the next 4 years.

Just a guy that is out there. I think Minnesota gets bounced early and they are screwed financially next year with KAT and Ant's extensions kicking in, plus 22M for McDaniels, Gobert's max, etc.
Dan Scott
1:36p, 3/30/24
Mikel Bridges is the best player on a mediocre team and only gets 20ppg. He's the 3rd best player on a championship team kinda guy.
Guitarsoup
1:49p, 3/30/24
In reply to Dan Scott
Dan Scott said:

Mikel Bridges is the best player on a mediocre team and only gets 20ppg. He's the 3rd best player on a championship team kinda guy.
He put up 26ppg last year and he has been DPOY runner up. I think both have dropped this year, but it isn't an age thing as he is just 27. I don't think he is a #1 star, but I think he can be your #2 option on a championship team, especially because he does create for other players and can be an elite defender. I also think Brooklyn overvalues him by a large margin.
AG@RICE
7:05p, 3/31/24
I think it is now clear we were feasting on crappy/wounded teams.
Ags #1
7:09p, 3/31/24
In reply to AG@RICE
okc minus sga still crappy?
Ags #1
7:10p, 3/31/24
It's hard to win 11 in a row regardless who you play
Harry Dunne
8:47p, 3/31/24
Shoulda traded Jalen while he was hot.
AG@RICE
11:15a, 4/1/24
In reply to Ags #1
Ags #1 said:

It's hard to win 11 in a row regardless who you play
My post wasn't meant to devalue the accomplishment, rather to reevaluate the "progress" that we made in the last 2-3 weeks. An 11 game win streak is a good achievement, but its clear this team has a long way to go before they can be considered a playoff/championship contender.

I've been super critical of Jalen, so It was really nice to see him have an extended run of really good games. I've moved off the idea that we should trade him immediately, but he still needs to grow and absolutely needs more help. Giving up on Sengun or Jalen at this point would be very foolish. Neither is going to fetch a veteran that is going to transform this group into an elite team. At best, they would fetch a player like KAT, Bridges or Mitchell, which wouldn't actually move us into the top 4 teams of the western conference.

The best outcome for this team is to keep all of the youngsters together and somehow find a top notch long distance shooter somewhere in the draft or FA. Both Jalen and Sengun can draw players towards them, but we can't do anything with that gravity because defenses don't respect our shooting (nor should they). If we had a guy like Isiah Joe sitting on the wing, we would be a much more dangerous team.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 17 of 19
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings