NBA All Star weekend

2,137 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Matsui
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't know it was that weekend but turned it on. The lit up court. The NBA is Nickelodeon now.
MookieBlaylock
AG
It's always been for teens and low IQ

Glad you enjoyed it
AustinAg2K
WNBA girl was impressive against Steph. They should let her into the regular 3 Pt contest next year. The 3 Pt contest has really become the highlight of the weekend.

I feel like the skills competition is a good idea, but the execution is weak. That passing goal was ridiculous. A five year old could have done it. Also, it always seems the players move through it on slow motion.

Would love to see a one on one or two on two competition, but I understand why they don't do that. Maybe do it with G League players. I bet it would still be pretty fun. I would also like to see an Old Timers game. Guys like Shaq or Barkley would just goof off, but I bet some of those old dude's still hate to lose and would really put some work. I could see Jordan training all year for it.
StillNotAnAggie
Someone should invite this high school kid to the dunk contest. This is better than what they did tonight. https://instagr.am/p/C2tdwOvutlt
Muy
AG
Once the best stars started skipping the dunk contest, it died.

I went to the all-star game in San Antonio back in the 90's and enjoyed the 3point contest the most. Although I think Drew Barry won the dunk contest and was pretty good.

The all star game itself was boring but to see Jordan, Hakeem and Shaq on the court together was cool.
Grapesoda2525
I haven't gotten excited about the all star game since I was 10 years old. I heard on the radio this dude was excited because his wife and kids are gone for the weekend so he could kick back and watch all star weekend. Really guy is that the best you can do with your rare free time?
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

It's always been for teens and low IQ

Glad you enjoyed it
AustinAg2K
Muy said:

Once the best stars started skipping the dunk contest, it died.

Since the best players aren't going to be there, I think they need to make it so being an NBA player isn't a requirement (they kind of did that this year). There are guys that specialize in dunking. They can't shoot, can't play D, but can do some insane dunks. Have competitions across the country to find the best 8 dunkers. Even though people won't know the names, I think it would be a lot more exciting.
Seven Costanza
AG
I think it would be interesting have a nationwide qualification process that would allow one regular person to enter the 3-point contest. Of course it would be a lot of work to organize and the person would probably choke if they didn't have experience shooting in front of very large crowds, but it could make for interesting tv.
AustinAg2K
Another idea would be to have a one on one competition of D League players, with the winner guaranteed a 10 day NBA contract.

Another crazy idea would be a game of knockout. I doubt many stars would complete because of injury risk, but it would be awesome if they did.

HORSE always seemed like a good idea, but when they actually tried it, it ended up being pretty boring.
LawHall88
AG
The game itself is just horrible. A glorified shoot around.
Grapesoda2525
What a terrible product. Glad this crap weekend is over.
AG@RICE
AG
When I was a kid, I loved All-star games. As an old, I think they are the most useless, idiotic concept in sports.

My first inclination was that I am just an old man yelling at he clouds; however, I think my current feelings probably reflect the opinion of most sports fans. All-star games were made long ago when 1) it was impossible to watch most of the players in a league due to TV coverage/broadcast limitations, 2) players barely moved from teams, limiting their national exposure, 3) teams only played a select few opponents and 4) there wasn't much to watch on TV in general.

In modern day sports, you can watch whatever team you want, whenever you want and players are constantly trading jerseys. There is also a never ending supply of alternate content to watch instead of these boring ass exhibition games.

There is no point to these spectacles anymore. Players and fans don't care about it. The only people who care about it are league owners who think they can still make money off the product through viewership and advertising.

Do your part in helping kill All-star games. Never watch one again.
AggieEP
Slightly different opinion here from a kid that remembers when the game was in San Antonio.

The fanfest/convention atmosphere around the game was SOOOOO cool. I remember my dad took me down there and it was like a basketball theme park. So while, I think the game is kind of lame and pointless, the fanfare/atmosphere you can create by bringing all of the best basketball players in the world to one spot is still pretty cool. Think about it, Steph, Bron, Giannis, Luka, Joker, Embiid, etc. all in the same spot at the same time to celebrate basketball.

The NBA needs to figure out a way to better tap into that aspect of it and have that be the headline event of the weekend instead of trying to make the scrimmage be the headline event.

I think someone mentioned it earlier on this thread, but find a way to bring fans directly into the action, I'd love to see a nationwide tournament for the best 3 point shooters culminate in letting the best 3-4 randos in the country have a chance to shoot against Steph and Dame in the real competition.

Same thing for the dunk contest. Can you imagine just some kid off the streets with a chance to win money dunking in a competition against NBA stars? That would be awesome and tap into Americans love of reality TV.

Also, the NBA is flush with cash, I'd love to see them hold a 3v3 tournament instead of the All Star game with a 1 million dollar prize for the winners. 8 total teams, top 8 vote getters are each team captains and get to choose their teams from among the other all stars. Play 1s and 2s make it take it to 15, just like you would on the playground.

Make fan engagement into the centerpiece of the weekend and I think you fix the all star weekend pretty fast.
NoahAg
G league one on one game. Loser has to go to Detroit.
The Porkchop Express
Make the payout for the dunk contest and the 3-point shootout $10 million apiece.

Have an under-25 1 on 1 tournament. Play to 10. 3-pointers count as 2, baskets count as 1. Each team only gets 1 player in the field. Field of 32. Seed them based on whatever algorithm you want to. Winner gets $10 million. Man vs. Man - who's the best on offense and defense / total package. Guys would be lined up around the block.

If you win the title, you get an automatic #1 seed the next year until you lose or you're no longer 25.
AustinAg2K
AggieEP said:

Slightly different opinion here from a kid that remembers when the game was in San Antonio.

The fanfest/convention atmosphere around the game was SOOOOO cool. I remember my dad took me down there and it was like a basketball theme park. So while, I think the game is kind of lame and pointless, the fanfare/atmosphere you can create by bringing all of the best basketball players in the world to one spot is still pretty cool. Think about it, Steph, Bron, Giannis, Luka, Joker, Embiid, etc. all in the same spot at the same time to celebrate basketball.

The NBA needs to figure out a way to better tap into that aspect of it and have that be the headline event of the weekend instead of trying to make the scrimmage be the headline event.

I think someone mentioned it earlier on this thread, but find a way to bring fans directly into the action, I'd love to see a nationwide tournament for the best 3 point shooters culminate in letting the best 3-4 randos in the country have a chance to shoot against Steph and Dame in the real competition.

Same thing for the dunk contest. Can you imagine just some kid off the streets with a chance to win money dunking in a competition against NBA stars? That would be awesome and tap into Americans love of reality TV.

Also, the NBA is flush with cash, I'd love to see them hold a 3v3 tournament instead of the All Star game with a 1 million dollar prize for the winners. 8 total teams, top 8 vote getters are each team captains and get to choose their teams from among the other all stars. Play 1s and 2s make it take it to 15, just like you would on the playground.

Make fan engagement into the centerpiece of the weekend and I think you fix the all star weekend pretty fast.
Agreed, they need to make it a celebration of basketball, and not just the NBA.

Another idea would be to partner with the NCAA and do some sort of pro-am event. Maybe have a team of the top 12 NCAA players and have them go against the NBA All Stars. I think you would find the college players giving it their all, because it is essentially a workout for scouts. Having a big day could boost their draft status.
Matsui
AG
These are all great ideas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.