2023 youth baseball/softball check-in
80,758 Views | 794 Replies
sosolik
9:15p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
Be careful……Wildcatters doesn't allow you to pickup with other non-Wildcatter teams.
TarponChaser
8:36a, 5/24/23
In reply to sosolik
sosolik said:

Be careful……Wildcatters doesn't allow you to pickup with other non-Wildcatter teams.

Facts. I know a kid was kicked off the top 12U Wildcatters team for picking up with another team. Their philosophy is that "we're paying for you to play and we have teams playing every weekend so you can pick up with another Wildcatters team if you want to play more often."
Lonestar_Ag09
4:15p, 5/29/23
I have a player on my team who has thankfully embraced playing catcher. We have some team gear but it isn't great and his dad wants to get him some before next season

Any recommendations?
redline248
5:04p, 5/29/23
I don't have an answer but your post triggered my memory for a little rant.

My son finished up 8U last weekend, and I swear every single team puts kids who can't catch or throw behind the plate. Then they are yelling at them all game long "get your glove down" or "take off that mask and go catch that one!" Any time runners are coming in to score the catchers are standing with both feet right in the middle of the plate.

There was absolutely zero practice at playing catcher on my son's team all year. It baffles me

come to think of it, there was very little coaching going on for anything most of the year.
Lonestar_Ag09
5:18p, 5/29/23
Coming into the season this was a kid planned to try some but he also worked in early at first and third as well.

Early in the season though it became apparent he enjoyed it behind the plate and was improving. The other main kid I planned to play there just isn't very athletic but very smart so I had hoped he'd figure it out. He hasn't yet. The third kid isn't bad back there but doesn't enjoy and become a bit of a pita when he plays catcher.

We didn't do much practice I did a few times early and then once he was identified his dad took the gear and did some drills at home.
TarponChaser
9:14a, 5/30/23
In reply to Lonestar_Ag09
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

I have a player on my team who has thankfully embraced playing catcher. We have some team gear but it isn't great and his dad wants to get him some before next season

Any recommendations?

My 8-year old plays a lot of catcher and loves it. We bought him this set last summer and it's been pretty good. I did a lot of hunting and this was the least expensive set of any quality I could find.

Easton Youth Black Magic catcher's gear set

The mask/helmet did have a bit of an issue of one of the straps coming undone or unsnapped a lot but I ended up using a dab of Loc-tite on the problem snap and it's been great since.

He's about 4'8" and 75# and it fits him well.

dulak
7:19p, 6/4/23
In reply to agsalaska
agsalaska
7:23p, 6/4/23
In reply to dulak
I missed, that second post. That's insanity.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
7:28p, 6/4/23
We went to Franklin for the first time this week and if my son spends the rest of his youth baseball days playing out of that place I will be a happy camper.

It was everything you would want it to be and everything PG and USSSA and NCS is not. It was fun, relaxing, great atmosphere, six inning games, great competition, great umpires, great coaches, no player abuse, no verbal abuse from parents or coaches, just awesome. Everything youth baseball should be.

I hope we get to play in the league there next year. We are working on that now.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
redline248
9:41p, 6/5/23
Any of you know anything about Young Guns in Georgetown?
Lobster Twins
12:56p, 6/7/23
In reply to redline248
As far as buying catcher's gear you can also try the craigslist and facebook market.

I think the reason you see 8U catchers not doing very well or practicing at that position is that many times the teams don't have catchers' gear to practice with yet. It's a big expense when you're not sure your kid will be the catcher or enjoy the position. Coaches don't want to buy it. Do some leagues issue some? Ours lets you borrow it but only at the games. In 9U the catchers really start doing better imo. You have to get the kid pitchers throwing so it's easier to plug a catcher in.

Still, another problem I've seen is that sometimes you have few volunteers for catcher, and of those some of them just can't seem to get comfortable back there. One of our kids who begs to catch keeps standing up during the pitches right in front of the umpires. I tell him to stay down...nope. Fortunately we also have a kid that enjoys it and practices on his own. 10U gonna be interesting...
aggielax48
3:09p, 6/9/23
In reply to redline248
Young Guns seems to have a good organization, but I'd probably use the word organization loosely since they only have two teams. For next fall they will have 9U and 10U, both AAA. Don't hold me to this, but I believe they are dad coaches (not that I think there is anything wrong with that in the right situation). But that fact and being a small organization, not sure how difficult it is to break into a roster spot.
PhatMack19
3:27p, 6/9/23
In reply to redline248
redline248 said:

I don't have an answer but your post triggered my memory for a little rant.

My son finished up 8U last weekend, and I swear every single team puts kids who can't catch or throw behind the plate. Then they are yelling at them all game long "get your glove down" or "take off that mask and go catch that one!" Any time runners are coming in to score the catchers are standing with both feet right in the middle of the plate.

There was absolutely zero practice at playing catcher on my son's team all year. It baffles me

come to think of it, there was very little coaching going on for anything most of the year.

Mostly in coach pitch, the worst kid gets put behind the plate. There are way more plays in the outfield than at home, and the pitcher can cover the plate if there is a play. That all changes in kid pitch.
PhatMack19
3:30p, 6/9/23
We are headed to Destin tomorrow for "The" travel ball World Series next week. Any of y'all going anywhere fun this summer?
lil99chris
5:07p, 6/9/23
In reply to PhatMack19
We are playing in the FIRECRACKER CLASSIC WORLD SERIES in Viera, FL at the end of the month. There are 4 teams from Texas in our group.
aggielax48
4:01p, 6/11/23
We finished up Gulf Shores tournament Friday. Stayed a couple extra days and are leaving for Destin tournament tomorrow.
TarponChaser
7:20p, 6/11/23
Rolling out tomorrow to Panama City Beach. 8-year old plays the USSSA "world series" there this week then the older boy is in a different one in PCB the following week. We'll be in PCB for 13 days total.
agsalaska
7:49p, 6/11/23
Finished the year today with a thud.

Proud of my son. We went 0-2 yesterday and were in desperate need of leadership and he came out and threw a 1 hit shutout this morning winning 5-0. To the semis where we needed a hit and didn't get it and they needed a hit and got it.

Finished 11u AAA one game under .500 but with one championship and one runner up.

Looking forward to the Franklin League next spring.
C.C. Bay Ag
7:58p, 6/11/23
Just got back from Pigeon Forge. Notwithstanding the overall lackluster team play (10U), we had a great trip and played some excellent teams from across the country. My son pitched great and also played solid at catcher, throwing out a couple runners at 2nd.

Ripken Experience did everything right. Facilities are top notch and the views can't be beat. If it weren't for Texas, I could see myself moving near the Great Smokies.
My main goal in life is to find a beer as cold as a woman's heart
redline248
5:57p, 6/13/23
Well, time to find out where my boy stacks up. Doing a tryout for a 9U travel team. He just turned 8 in March and had only done rec ball. My expectations are low.
Panama Red
7:52a, 6/15/23
In reply to C.C. Bay Ag
Headed there in a few weeks. Any suggestions on things to see/not to see?
C.C. Bay Ag
9:31a, 6/16/23
In reply to Panama Red
My best advice for Pigeon Forge: bring plenty of arms. 2-hour games can eat through your pitchers pretty quickly for the younger kids.

All of our games were on time, with several games starting early. It was a pleasant change from PG in Houston and their inability to stay on schedule.

The main "strip" in Pigeon Forge is very toursity/cheesy. Lots of putt putt courses, go karts tracks, etc. Our team did one group outing at the Lumber Jack dinner show. It was entertaining for the kids and they enjoyed the zip line course there.

We went to the National Forest and hiked up to Klingman's Dome and Laurel Falls. I'd recommend going early in the morning as it was very crowded around noon. Thankfully we saved this until after the tournament; it's a good trek for youngsters and my boy was sore for a couple days.

Ober Mountain in Gatlinburg was a cool place. They have a mountain-coaster, ice skating, rock climbing wall, sled track, and a chair lift to the top of the mountain.

Bring gnat spray for early morning games, especially when playing at Wear Farm Park. Half of your games will likely be played there, half at Ripken. The fields at Wear Farm are really nice, especially considering its a city park. The fields at both facilities are all artificial turf.

They sell beer and wine in the town; but, if you like brown water or other liquors, you'll have to buy it outside of PIgeon Forge.

Expect to spend at least $100 everytime you get out of the car. It's a tourist trap.

Overall, it was a great experience. I'm glad we went, but once is probably enough. We're planning on doing the CWS in Omaha next summer.
Panama Red
7:19a, 6/17/23
In reply to C.C. Bay Ag
Thanks!

How soon before the tournament did the schedule come out?

Tents needed or is there plenty of shade?
agsalaska
11:04p, 6/18/23
We are ending the season this week in Omaha. Just me and my son. I miss my wife and daughter who stayed home because of work/camp.

Hoping next year we bring the team but I'm not counting on it.

Take your son to Omaha.

C.C. Bay Ag
11:19a, 6/19/23
In reply to Panama Red
Not much shade at Wear Farm fields. The stands are ridiculously small (only complaint about that complex). We did not bring chairs/tents because we flew into Knoxville. Ripken does offer chair/tent/wagon rentals.

I think the game schedule was released about a week prior. You'll need the Tourney Machine app to follow pool play and bracket games.
aggielax48
8:11a, 6/22/23
In reply to redline248
Quote:

Well, time to find out where my boy stacks up. Doing a tryout for a 9U travel team. He just turned 8 in March and had only done rec ball. My expectations are low.
How'd it go?
redline248
8:45a, 6/22/23
In reply to aggielax48
About as I expected. He still has some bad 8U habits running to fly balls. He hit ok once the coach realized he had to dial back the velocity a bit. Most of the others out there seemed older and a little more experienced. Son told me "that was harder than I thought it would be."

Haven't heard anything, and I doubt I will. Looks like another season of rec ball, ha.
aggielax48
9:52a, 6/22/23
If I remember right you were trying out for Young Guns? That's a pretty tough group to break into given the amount of exposure you typically get in these tryouts. But let me put it this way, there will be a select program available to play on if you try out for more. Let me ask this first...was your son an all star caliber player in rec? If not, I'd go back to rec for sure. If yes, I'd go try out for all the teams remotely close to you and see what happens. That doesn't mean i would just go play for anybody, because there are some bad select teams. You might be better off playing rec and putting the select money into private training.

If you are interested in other tryouts, i can find the Facebook thread that has all the tryouts in North Austin area.
Lonestar_Ag09
9:59a, 6/22/23
If your son just turned 8 why do 9u anyways? Is 9u on par with his grade level?
redline248
10:22a, 6/22/23
In reply to Lonestar_Ag09
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

If your son just turned 8 why do 9u anyways? Is 9u on par with his grade level?
In the fall he gets moved up to 10U b/c of the league's arbitrary birth date cutoff. So he's gonna be playing with 10 year olds, even though he just turned 8 in March.

Yes, it was for Young Guns, and no, I don't think he's All-Star caliber. Some of it is my fault for not pushing him more. He is probably developing more slowly b/c I don't make him practice a bunch. I've though about getting him extra instruction so he doesn't have to listen to me say the same things over and over, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. In general, I'm not super worried about it, yet
PhatMack19
12:16p, 6/23/23
We are playing in Beaumont this week in the pick up player World Series. I've never seen more 12u major kids playing 12aa. My little 10u kids are hanging though. Need a win today to make it to day 5 tomorrow.
C.C. Bay Ag
5:49p, 6/23/23
Uno mas tournament for us. God speed our electrolytes tomorrow. We might see some melted turf shoes manana.
Panama Red
5:35p, 6/24/23
In reply to C.C. Bay Ag
How far is Wear Farm from main facility? We have a 2:45 at one, 5:00 at the other. Seems like ambitious scheduling.
BurnetAggie99
8:25p, 6/24/23
Getting it done
C.C. Bay Ag
6:44a, 6/25/23
In reply to Panama Red
Ripken and Wear Farm are about 10 mins away from each other. One is to the left of the main strip and the other to the right. For such a small town, traffic can get nasty, though.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 12 of 23
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off