2023 youth baseball/softball check-in
83,196 Views | 797 Replies
TarponChaser
1:40p, 5/11/23
In reply to redline248
redline248 said:

Maybe the tournaments should stop inviting/allowing her team to participate.

This a HS team not a select team. McCamey HS softball from way out in West Texas.
Jbob04
2:40p, 5/11/23
In reply to agsalaska
agsalaska said:

Can I get yalls thoughts on the facility in Franklin?

We are playing in a tournament there in June. They also run a league during the spring where you play 16 games over four weekends with your times and opponents set in advance. That is pretty appealing to us. Our older team won that league a few years back but we never joined because we didn't feal like we were there competitively. But that's changed.

Thanks

Great place to play. Beautiful facility for a small town. There are some restaurants and a couple of hotels in Franklin but certainly not like playing in the big cities as far as selection goes.
lil99chris
4:32p, 5/11/23
We have some friends that have played in Franklin for Fall/Spring and they really enjoy it. Great fields, but can be a little windy.
Lonestar_Ag09
5:40p, 5/11/23
Side note. I've seen it but haven't investigated, W.T.F! Is up with these young fools flipping the back of their caps out? They look like morons? Flat brims were bad enough a while back and we've thankfully moved on but this is just stupid
WES2006AG
11:12p, 5/11/23
In reply to Lonestar_Ag09
When I see that I assume it is an hat that is too big. Those flexfit hats always fit weird and fly off of a lot of pitchers heads.
Lonestar_Ag09
4:50a, 5/12/23
In reply to WES2006AG
The school my wife teaches at the varsity team at any given innings has at least 5 like that in a team huddle. I've seen it a few times on younger players in the stands and then today I saw it on a reel with a pitching coaching talking up his LL kids

TarponChaser
8:30a, 5/12/23
I can't say that I've noticed that with the hats. With my 8-year old the poor kid has to wear a headband to give a little extra circumference so that his hat fits. Blame it on me for ordering him the wrong size but we changed brands and this brand is a lot bigger than what they had in the fall. We have a bunch of those SaltArmor gaiters that we bought during covid because their school required masks for a few months and SaltArmor sold them 10 gaiters for $20 or something.
TAM85
9:37p, 5/13/23
We lost in the Area round. Cinco Ranch moves on. 32 6A teams are still playing.
WES2006AG
6:59a, 5/14/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

Cinco is stacked this year. I saw you guys as well earlier in the year, y'all had a good season.
lil99chris
8:03a, 5/14/23
Current view at Scrapyard….they still have not cancelled.
Lonestar_Ag09
9:19a, 5/14/23
Why cancel if it's turf?
sosolik
9:27a, 5/14/23
In reply to TAM85
TAM85 said:

Two very competitive games, outside of one big inning we had in Game 2. I was surprised how young the Memorial team was and really bodes well for y'all in the next couple of years.

TAM85
11:54a, 5/14/23
Thanks y'all. Sosolik, I think I remember seeing your son in the game. My son stared game 1 (he git the ball 5 chant).

Good luck the rest of the way.
FrioAg 00
2:53p, 5/14/23
Just answer with a couple runs here against their pen.
TarponChaser
3:48p, 5/22/23
Older boy's team went 3-1 and lost in the semis yesterday. They just ran out of pitching. He remains hot at the plate. You know you're raking when you go 5 for 9 and your batting average drops. Hit 2 triples and 5 RBIs plus 2 BB on the weekend. Also pitched- threw 3 innings with 7 Ks and 2 runs with 1 BB and hit one kid. Gave up 3 hits but they never left the infield- all weak rollers.

Younger boy's team lost in the championship but damn they battled- at one point they were down 10-1, came back to take a 12-10 lead and lost it on a walk-off.

Only one tournament left for each before their respective "world series."

Side-note: of all the ridiculousness in travel ball the dubbing of 947 different tournaments as a "world series" has got to be way up there.
BSmith03
12:21p, 5/23/23
My 9 yr old hit 61 on the gun this past weekend and didn't give up an ER after hitting the 100 pitch limit. I don't know where he got this arm strength from but proud of him
TarponChaser
2:50p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
BSmith03 said:

My 9 yr old hit 61 on the gun this past weekend and didn't give up an ER after hitting the 100 pitch limit. I don't know where he got this arm strength from but proud of him

That's pretty elite arm talent for the age. Some kids just understand how to manipulate their body to generate velocity or power when hitting.
BurnetAggie99
2:55p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
That's awesome Velo for that age. My only advice would be at 9 going a 100 pitches is little to much for me. I coach some of our HS age Banditos Scout teams and I rarely even let those HS guys throw more than 75/80 pitches. Plus we work a lot of Strength & Conditioning Arm care as well.
BSmith03
3:29p, 5/23/23
In reply to BurnetAggie99
BurnetAggie99 said:

That's awesome Velo for that age. My only advice would be at 9 going a 100 pitches is little to much for me. I coach some of our HS age Banditos Scout teams and I rarely even let those HS guys throw more than 75/80 pitches. Plus we work a lot of Strength & Conditioning Arm care as well.

I'm 100% with you. We don't usually stretch the 100 limit but we were in a championship game and he only threw 48 the day before and he's the type that wants the ball in the big moment. Appreciate the feedback y'all! Hopefully he's in maroon one day!
AgEng06
3:33p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
BSmith03 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

I'm 100% with you. We don't usually stretch the 100 limit but we were in a championship game and he only threw 48 the day before and he's the type that wants the ball in the big moment. Appreciate the feedback y'all! Hopefully he's in maroon one day!
148 pitches in 2 days seems really extreme for a 9-yr old. Little league daily maximum is 75 pitches, which then requires 4 days of rest.

What organization was this with?
Farmer1906
3:38p, 5/23/23
In reply to AgEng06
AgEng06 said:

BSmith03 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

148 pitches in 2 days seems really extreme for a 9-yr old. Little league daily maximum is 75 pitches, which then requires 4 days of rest.

Yeah. That's wild.
Lonestar_Ag09
3:43p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
BSmith03 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

agsalaska
3:49p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
BSmith03 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

OK. I am going to be a little more direct than Burnet was.

148 pitches in two days is very dangerous for a nine year old. VERY dangerous. There is not a bigger issue across all of youth sports in my mind than abusing arms of young pitchers. The ring and whatever championship goes with it is not worth the damage that overpitching will inevitably cause.

I have a good friend who is a pediatric surgical nurse who had three major arm operations in a week last summer, the oldest being 14. I heard a story last week of a 13 year old tearing his UCL in Houston who, according to his older brother, threw 45 curveballs the day it happened. Chances are good he will never pitch again.

My son is 11 and is a fantastic pitcher. I personally would never, ever, ever ever ever ever, let my son play for a coach that would take any kid that far in a weekend. Zero % chance. If he tried to do it to mine I would pull him off the field, probably to the applause of everyone.

When we interviewed our coach we spent most of the hour long conversation discussing how he planned to manage pitchers and catchers and their arms.

Last, there is very good guidance from MLB that all coaches should follow regarding arms. And IMHO any coach who does not follow those guidelines is either ignorant or has very bad priorities. If you want him to pitch at A&M, or even in high school or even next year, I highly suggest that you read and enforce it. Also, the champion of it is John Smolts. He has discussed it extensively in interviews and articles.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
agsalaska
3:53p, 5/23/23
MLB guidelines

Here you go BSmith03. I hope you read it and for your son's sake follow it. The doctors behind the research and guidelines are from Ohio Med.

We strictly follow this. My son threw exactly 85 pitches Sunday which is the most he has ever thrown in a day. He will not pick up a baseball until Thursday and I doubt we stretch him out like that again this season.

One other thing. When throw 85, they are done. For the day. We don't put them at third for two more games.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
BSmith03
3:55p, 5/23/23
In reply to AgEng06
AgEng06 said:

BSmith03 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Maybe I wasn't clear. It was 100 total for the weekend and never 100 in a day. He pitched 48 on Saturday and 52 on Sunday and was broken up between two games on Sunday. Apologies!
agsalaska
3:55p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
BSmith03 said:

AgEng06 said:

BSmith03 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

Maybe I wasn't clear. It was 100 total for the weekend and never 100 in a day. He pitched 48 on Saturday and 52 on Sunday and was broken up between two games on Sunday. Apologies!
That makes us all feel much better.
BSmith03
3:59p, 5/23/23
In reply to agsalaska
My fault. PG has strict limits in these tournaments for a reason. I don't need my son with TJ at 10-11. We aren't in it to chase these fake rings/banners for Facebook and instagram
agsalaska
4:18p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
BSmith03 said:

My fault. PG has strict limits in these tournaments for a reason. I don't need my son with TJ at 10-11. We aren't in it to chase these fake rings/banners for Facebook and instagram
That's right. And sorry for the lynch mob that was coming your way. We have all witnessed coaches do crazy **** to arms.

Like I said my son is 11 and has been a Sunday starter in AAA since the day we went to kid pitch. We had to learn a few things along the way on how to keep his arm healthy during the season including stretching, arm bands, icing, and rest. He sacrifices dodge ball and the other playground games when he needs to.

One thing you said that I would caution you on is he pitched in three games. My son in 9u developed tendinitis and didn't pitch the second half of the spring because of it and I am pretty confident that it was caused by pitching in multiple games in a day and three in a weekend. Smoltz and MLB frown on that. Not saying it doesnt happen. My son in College Station a few weeks ago closed the semifinal and started the final but only threw nine pitches to close. There was a one game break. But we rarely do it.

Last, consider two throws from a catcher to count as one pitch. So if your catcher catches an entire, say, 90 pitch game, consider it 45 pitches. We apply that math to catchers as well.

EDIT- So the link doesnt get lost. This should be mandatory reading for all coaches.

MLB pitching rules
BSmith03
4:36p, 5/23/23
In reply to agsalaska
No problem! The concerns expressed are a good thing. It shows y'all care. I will certainly look into the readings you provided. Sounds like your son is a stud! Y'all keep it going. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.
BurnetAggie99
4:45p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
If you guys ever want to play Banditos give me a shout. I'm the Head operations baseball Director and been with the Ditos over 15 years
agsalaska
4:47p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
Yea he is good but when he was nine he was touching 50. 61 is a special arm.
agsalaska
4:48p, 5/23/23
BurnetAggie99 said:

If you guys ever want to play Banditos give me a shout. I'm the Head operations baseball Director and been with the Ditos over 15 years
I was waiting on that one. If I was you I'd be all over that.
BurnetAggie99
4:50p, 5/23/23
In reply to agsalaska
You know I had too
BSmith03
5:18p, 5/23/23
Love it! We are on the Wildcatters but I hear nothing but great things about your organization. We may be available for pickup if that's allowed. We do every other weekend for tournaments so it's good to get those extra reps when we aren't playing. We should connect
BurnetAggie99
5:30p, 5/23/23
In reply to BSmith03
Sounds Good shoot me a PM and we can get together chat
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 11 of 23
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >