***Official Houston Astros 2023-24 Offseason Thread*** [Staff Warning - OP]

851,616 Views | 11245 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by Lonestar_Ag09
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
[Posters that troll this thread will be forced to become As fans. That is the warning. -Staff]

Sure, the season didn't end how we wanted it to. No third parade in 2023. But it's time to regroup, reload, and come back better than ever.

First things first. Who's gone?

Free Agents
  • Michael Brantley
  • Phil Maton
  • Ryne Stanek
  • Martin Maldonado
  • Hector Neris (assuming he declines the player option)
  • Dusty Baker

Overall, that ain't a lot. This is a good thing, obviously, but it also means the payroll doesn't open up too much either.

Payroll

After all the calculations above, we'll be sitting at around 231 M with the first tax bracket at 237 M. Dana and Jim don't have much room to work, but the first tax bracket is pretty meaningless (20% tax on overage) as far as "punishment" goes. We'd have to top 257 M before it gets expensive. We should be able to safely reset it after 2024. The question is, how much does Crane want to spend? Based on Ketch's insight. he's willing to with guys like Hader as targets.

Free Agency

Here is a pretty healthy list of the potential free agents. Even it isn't everyone.

I think the top priority is:
  • Bullpen (1-2 arms)
  • Left-Handed Corner Outfielder
  • Starting Pitching (inning eater)
  • Veteran Backup Catcher

Other Topics for the Offseason
  • Who's the next manager
  • Who, if anyone, gets extended (Bregman & Altuve are UFA after this year)
  • Dana's first offseason
  • Trades (bye-bye Jake?)

Important Dates
  • Free Agency begins right after the World Series, but players cannot sign until another 5 days.
  • Player, Club. & Mutal Options must be exercised 5 days after the World Series ends.
  • Qualifying Offers must be given within 5 days after the World Series ends. Players have until 11/14 to accept or not.
  • Non-Tender Deadline is 11/17
  • Rule 5 Draft is 12/7
  • Winter Meetings are 12/4-7
  • Arbitration mid-Jan to mid-Feb.

The Quest for 3 Resumes in 156 Days

Wabs
AG
LFG! IN!
Bigballin
AG
LFG!!!
B-Rabbit
AG
2 out of 3 begins now.
spadilly
S
Retake the crown!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Since the thread changed:

tjack16 said:

So decisions

- extend Altuve? I say absolutely 100% yes
- extend Bregman? I lean yes but only if it's not more expensive than his current deal is
- sign pitchers? Absolutely yes. Go get Hader, AJ Minter, and another dependable arm like Michael Wacha. Injuries will happen so prepare now.
- sign a corner outfielder? Yes, go get Gurriel Jr or Santander

-Altuve, check
-Bregman, check
-Sign Hader and Neris, move on. We have too much young depth. This club isn't spending that money
-also not happening with our youth depth

You didn't mention Tucker but his arbitration will be a story line as well.
Beau Holder
AG
In on page 1. This team will be built for an 8th straight ALCS next year and perhaps even more.
txags11
AG
8 trips in 8 years to ALCS and another World Series berth coming up!!!
Lonestar_Ag09
AG
Also

The Porkchop Express said:

Well we didn't win, but you guys seem so down I figured you can use a laugh. Presented for your laughter and mockery, an 18-year-old Porkchop Express throwing out the first pitch in June 1992, and getting the ball signed by all time dick head, Scott Servais. Fire away.

I think I understand your love for Star Wars more seeing that throwing picture. On my list of things to watch that got skipped because of baseball season is the new mini series I'm not going to butcher her name but you know what I mean
RVAg02
AG
LET'S DO THIS!
Wabs
AG
My priorities (some of which posted on the season thread).

1. Left Fielder (Lourdes Gurriel?)
2. Bullpen (Neris and Hader)
3. Mid-level SP (Sonny Gray type)
4. Backup catcher (Diaz starts, see ya Maldy)
5. Lock up Altuve and Bregman
Ag_07
AG
In...Again
Johnsy3
AG
Let's not even go to Florida for Spring Training. Every day we hit AT MINUTE MAID
The Porkchop Express
Immediate motivation is to see how fast this thread passes the Rangers season thread in total posts. If we could do it during the World Series, that would be spectacular.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
1836er
AG
Checking in on new thread, great job on the intro Farmer.
tjack16
AG
Lonestar_Ag09 said:

Since the thread changed:

tjack16 said:

So decisions

- extend Altuve? I say absolutely 100% yes
- extend Bregman? I lean yes but only if it's not more expensive than his current deal is
- sign pitchers? Absolutely yes. Go get Hader, AJ Minter, and another dependable arm like Michael Wacha. Injuries will happen so prepare now.
- sign a corner outfielder? Yes, go get Gurriel Jr or Santander

-Altuve, check
-Bregman, check
-Sign Hader and Neris, move on. We have too much young depth. This club isn't spending that money
-also not happening with our youth depth

You didn't mention Tucker but his arbitration will be a story line as well.

I was going to save the Tucker/Framber for probably later because technically they are locked up for the next few years. But yeah given their postseason performances both of their arb hearings could get ugly. Especially given Framber's second half collapse
AggieJ2002
AG
Really don't know how next year is gonna go, but we absolutely have the pieces to win it all if we make the right moves this offseason. I think this is going to be the most consequential offseason we have had in quite some time. Finding the right guy to lead this team is going to be huge.
The Porkchop Express
I'd say a top mindset priority is to take the belief that LMJ is never going to pitch for us again on anything other than an extremely sporadic basis and not to count on him for anything.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
JohnnyTexAg1995
LFG!! GLF!!!
The Porkchop Express
I'll repost it here since you started the new thread about 5 seconds after my original post.

Well we didn't win, but you guys seem so down I figured you can use a laugh. Presented for your laughter and mockery, an 18-year-old Porkchop Express throwing out the first pitch in June 1992, and getting the ball signed by all time dick head, Scott Servais. Fire away.

vbl
This is true and why I think a front line starter is a must.
Cromagnum
AG
In for page 1. Will be right back in the ALCS for the 8th time at minimum.
tjack16
AG
I'd really like to see Lance as a bullpen option when he returns. I think his stuff is still incredible but the health would likely benefit from it
scd88
AG
In on page 1.
BCSGrubber
AG
LFG 2024!
Prosperdick
AG
Really wanted to post her 5 more times!! And by post I mean bang.
LC Wannabe
S
In

Let's get it going.

GLF!!
esd19
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Let's not even go to Florida for Spring Training. Every day we hit AT MINUTE MAID

This! Priority #1 for this offseason: figure out how to win at MMP again. As the core of the only two teams in history to get skunked at home, Altuve, Bregman, Alvarez & Tucker should be taking the 2019 WS & 2023 ALCS personally.
Prosperdick
AG
The Porkchop Express said:

I'll repost it here since you started the new thread about 5 seconds after my original post.

You throwing a breaking pitch? I bet Scotty couldn't catch it anyway.

Just a reminder that Servais has been on vacation for almost a month now.
Fslip01
#Ready2(4)ReignAgain
Big Cat `93
AG
All I want for Christmas is a healthy LMJ throughout 2024.
All I do is Nguyen
Let's take this thing back next year!!!
No matter what
tjack16
AG
Winning at home needs to be a huge priority next year.

2018, 2019, 2021 and 2023 we lost our final playoff game at home.. and the final scores weren't really close in any of them
maca1028
In. My wish list for the offseason:
Top Tier SP
Outfield bat
Bullpen arm or two
bearkatag15
AG
In! I think we are a 100+ win team next year with a good bullpen and left field addition. Also an upgrade at manager.
Fightin' Texas Aggie and Sam Houston State Bearkat
Last Page
Page 1 of 322

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.