New Vegas Ballpark

2,897 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by agent-maroon
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

Quote:

Shaped by its location on the Las Vegas Strip, the 33,000-person capacity ballpark provides an outdoor feel with views of the city's skyline. The tiered design will split upper and lower seating bowls to bring fans closer to the action than traditional ballparks and provide clear sight lines from every seat. The roof's five overlapping layers, whose design is inspired by traditional baseball pennants, open to the north to allow for natural light and views up the Strip, while also limiting direct sunlight and heat from the south. The outfield features the world's largest cable-net glass window, facing the corner of Tropicana and Las Vegas Boulevards. The ballpark is currently designed to include an 18,000-square-foot jumbotron, which would make it the largest screen in MLB.

Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG) will serve as the design lead and HNTB as the sports/hospitality designer and architect of record. BIG will lead the master planning of the ballpark design, with HNTB collaborating on the design and serving as the architect of record. BIG previously presented a design for the team's Oakland ballpark, while HNTB was the architect for the Raiders' Allegiant Stadium.
agproducer
AG
You would think in Vegas they would have a park with more than 33k seats. Fans from out-of-town teams would definitely see it as a destination.

Also, open air? Even with shade, it's going to be hot!
ktownag08
AG
Summer games will be brutal...
_lefraud_
AG
That doesn't look like open air to me
fc2112
That looks incredible

And of course it's climate controlled.

33k seats is just perfect for a modern ballpark. Tickets will be $$$$$.
Farmer1906
AG
Pros
-cool location
-spectacle (design, scoreboard, etc)
-no bad seats
-lots of open area around
-lots of clubs, suites, stuff in general

Cons
-is its partially open air, it gone be HOT
-looks like a fun place to visit, but I don't want my hometown park to look like that
-As play there
Farmer1906
AG
AgBQ-00
AG
Reminds me of the Sydney Opera House a little bit.
AgsWin2011
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Reminds me of the Sydney Opera House a little bit.

Same. I bet there's no way in hell they make a screen like that. Couldn't they just build it with the Sphere in the background and use that as a scoreboard?

In all seriousness, I bet that screen would be tens of millions and nearly possible to maintain.
Enzomatic
I already miss the coliseum.
jkag89
If they pull it off, while unconventional it will become a great ballpark. If they don't, Globe Life Field,
MaxPower
I like it. It's Vegas, so it should be a spectacle. I don't think MLB is going to let them have that giant screen overhead lit up while players hit though.
fc2112
Looks incredible. Almost as nice as Globe Life Field.

And guys - IT IS INDOORS. Goodness people, use your eyes.
jkag89
Y'all went from one the best looking ballparks in MLB to one of the ugliest. I'm sure GLF is great on the inside with all sorts of amenities for the fans, however its exterior is much to be desired and nothing like what the renderings showed, hence my comment above. On the Vegas strip they really need to pull off both, IMO. Then again one of my all time favorite MLB parks is Kaufman Stadium and its exterior is meh at best.
AustinCountyAg
I agree. Looks amazing and would actually make me consider going to Vegas to watch a game.
AustinCountyAg
He was being sarcastic about Globe Life...I think....I hope...
htxag09
AG
Is the roof really a screen? That seems like a really bad idea.
jkag89
This video questions if the reality of the new A's ballpark renderings.

This one is less harsh but does have questions - Brodie Greene is a Bay Area broadcaster so his view might be skewed
Corporal Punishment
AG
Quote:

Y'all went from one the best looking ballparks in MLB to one of the ugliest.

This…and I'm a Rangers fan from DFW that's been going to games since 1980.

Left field was unbearably hot before the sun went below the top of the stadium several innings in. The rest of the stadium was no hotter than it had been since 1994 or way back to 1972 at Arlington Stadium. Still, it was (and still is) a glorious ballpark and they ditched it for a barn with fake grass and absolutely no charm or character so fatties can consume thousands of calories in comfort.

Old man rant over. Carry on.
AustinCountyAg
Corporal Punishment said:

Quote:

Y'all went from one the best looking ballparks in MLB to one of the ugliest.

This…and I'm a Rangers fan from DFW that's been going to games since 1980.

Left field was unbearably hot before the sun went below the top of the stadium several innings in. The rest of the stadium was no hotter than it had been since 1994 or way back to 1972 at Arlington Stadium. Still, it was (and still is) a glorious ballpark and they ditched it for a barn with fake grass and absolutely no charm or character so fatties can consume thousands of calories in comfort.

Old man rant over. Carry on.
this reminds me of my first game I ever went to there. We sat, you guessed it, in the upper deck in left field. It was brutal.
AgRyan04
htxag09 said:

Is the roof really a screen? That seems like a really bad idea.

That was my thought as well....seems like they need to be super mindful/thoughtful about possible distraction to a hitter or even a fielder
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
PatAg
AG
jkag89 said:

Y'all went from one the best looking ballparks in MLB to one of the ugliest. I'm sure GLF is great on the inside with all sorts of amenities for the fans, however its exterior is much to be desired and nothing like what the renderings showed, hence my comment above. On the Vegas strip they really need to pull off both, IMO. Then again one of my all time favorite MLB parks is Kaufman Stadium and its exterior is meh at best.
They 100% should have just recreated the existing ball park aesthetic and looks, but with a roof.
Its actually nice in person, but its still annoying
GrapevineAg
AG
I don't care if The Shed is ugly - it is home to the World Series Champion Texas Rangers!!! And the whole Texas Live! area is great.
AgsWin2011
AG
I may be in the minority but I don't think it looks THAT bad. I think the exterior (not the roof) looks great and the whole area is really nice. Better than anything in Houston.
AgRyan04
Funny you say that because I thought it felt like a replica of MMP inside
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
AggieEP
The thing I don't understand with most new parks, is that you have the opportunity hypothetically to build the next Fenway, a legendary and unique park that becomes an icon in and of itself. (Unlikely of course... But there is always a chance)

But instead many of the new parks have been pretty generic. GLF doesn't really bother me, but when you think about that you spent 1 billion dollars and got a cookie cutter instead of a classic it does seem like a missed opportunity.
jkag89
AgRyan04 said:

Funny you say that because I thought it felt like a replica of MMP inside
It seems to have used the same pallet much like many of the stadiums of '60s and '70s were mostly cookie cutters.
Fenrir
Dramatic reenactment:
agsalaska
AG
Some people are overstating the heat in Vegas. I lived there from 2009-2012 and went to a lot of minor league games and unlike Texas when the sun goes down it cools off quickly. Even in August. And even in June the sun sets around 7:30 or so.

chick79
AG
It doesn't really cool off at night in the middle of summer but the low humidity makes it feel that way.
malenurse
AG
MGM gonna make some cash seeing as they have 5 hotels within walking distance to the park. Plus T-Mobile Arena
agsalaska
AG
chick79 said:

It doesn't really cool off at night in the middle of summer but the low humidity makes it feel that way.

That's some awesome logic
agent-maroon
AG
It looks like something that Godzilla will be fighting soon after some dumbass scientist irradiates it and wakes it's human hating ass up
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.