***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]
1,013,234 Views | 21359 Replies
Marvin
1:49p, 4/18/24
In reply to spadilly
spadilly said:

Off days…

Astros have had 14 of them so far, not including days they didn't play…
Beau Holder
2:05p, 4/18/24
17.18 ERA for Leiter in his first start, maybe he belongs in Sugar Land with our guys.
Farmer1906
2:06p, 4/18/24
Leiter got some swing-and-miss, but he got hit hard. Avg EV of 95.

Ag_07
2:07p, 4/18/24
In reply to Beau Holder
Beau Holder said:

17.18 ERA for Leiter in his first start, maybe he belongs in Sugar Land with our guys our starting rotation .

FIFY
Beau Holder
2:14p, 4/18/24
In reply to Ag_07
That was the joke but poorly phrased on my part.
TarponChaser
3:23p, 4/18/24
In reply to spadilly
spadilly said:

Off days…

Aggie baseball @ Bama tonight. I believe it's on SEC Network and if it's not you can stream it on the ESPN app.

Bama is another top-25 opponent and just took 2 of 3 from erstwhile #1 Arkansas last weekend. They're very tough at home.
EastCoastAgNc
3:39p, 4/18/24

Poor Astros admin is taking a beating
All I do is Nguyen
3:44p, 4/18/24
In reply to spadilly
spadilly said:

Off days…

tjack16
3:48p, 4/18/24
In reply to All I do is Nguyen
All I do is Nguyen said:

spadilly said:

Off days…

That Abreu K with the bases loaded killed us. Throw in the 0-4 Bregman day with 3 infield pop ups.
Montero kept us in but Hader couldn't close it down. Pathetic
jetch17
4:06p, 4/18/24
Off days are one less day to get kicked in the dick for the week, so thats cool
tjack16
4:09p, 4/18/24
Question… has the organization given up on Corey Julks? Just haven't heard anything about him
texasaggie2015
4:14p, 4/18/24
In reply to tjack16
He is who he is. Organizational depth. I don't think their opinion of him has changed one way or another. You won't see much more development out of him at 28 years old, but it's nice having a guy down there who has seen big league pitching in the event one of the OFers get hurt.
The Porkchop Express
4:23p, 4/18/24
In reply to texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015 said:

He is who he is. Organizational depth. I don't think their opinion of him has changed one way or another. You won't see much more development out of him at 28 years old, but it's nice having a guy down there who has seen big league pitching in the event one of the OFers get hurt.
You'll know it's time for a bench-clearing brawl when Julks gets called up. He looks like he could hurt some people.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
tjack16
4:27p, 4/18/24
In reply to texasaggie2015
texasaggie2015 said:

Yeah I wasn't expecting him to be an impact guy this year. Was just curious that we've heard nothing about him given how much he played last year
texasaggie2015
4:31p, 4/18/24
In reply to tjack16
Wish he would have broken out. Would have been cool to have a UH Cougar on the team.
AgLA06
4:33p, 4/18/24
In reply to Breggy Popup
Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It's actually him building a house close to where he grew up because that's where he prefers to be long term.
Close is a relative term. He's probably about 400 miles from where he grew up. Closer than Houston though.

And really who wants to live in the ABQ nowadays?

Been to Santa Fe, Flagstaff, or Sedona recently?
Ag_07
4:50p, 4/18/24
So when do y'all think Altuve's hit total exceeds Abreu's BA?

Currently Altuve is at 31 and Abreu is at 78
tjack16
4:57p, 4/18/24
In reply to Ag_07
Ag_07 said:

So when do y'all think Altuve's hit total exceeds Abreu's BA?

Currently Altuve is at 31 and Abreu is at 78

If we get a full season of both of them… it'll happen.
bearkatag15
5:07p, 4/18/24

Loperfido not in the lineup tonight
The Porkchop Express
5:15p, 4/18/24
In reply to bearkatag15
bearkatag15 said:

Loperfido not in the lineup tonight
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
linkdude
5:16p, 4/18/24
Don't give me hope, Dana
Breggy Popup
5:25p, 4/18/24
In reply to AgLA06
AgLA06 said:

Bregxit said:

Farmer1906 said:

texasaggie2015 said:

It's actually him building a house close to where he grew up because that's where he prefers to be long term.
Close is a relative term. He's probably about 400 miles from where he grew up. Closer than Houston though.

And really who wants to live in the ABQ nowadays?

Been to Santa Fe, Flagstaff, or Sedona recently?

Flagstaff and Sedona yes. What's wrong with them other than hippies? All of NM save for Red River is a ****hole as far as people go.
linkdude
5:38p, 4/18/24
sigh
EastCoastAgNc
5:41p, 4/18/24
In reply to linkdude
Ag4life80
5:44p, 4/18/24
In reply to Marvin
Marvin said:

So, I'm confused on the comments about a negative clubhouse attitude.

• Is it complacency?
  • Is it WIIFM?
  • Is it a lack of faith in management?
  • Is it the absence of an alpha dog willing to call people out?

Besides that, how is it translating to field performance? Pitcher injuries are ridiculous but not related to culture. I haven't seen anyone not hustling, although Altuve has had some brain farts on the basepaths. I guess I could see it in terms of hitting with RISP in terms of mentality (not going with a pitch or giving yourself up to advance a runner). The home record has sucked for some time, so maybe there's something there.

So, what are the clubhouse issues and how have they manifested on the field?
Sounded like 1 and 4 to me.
The Astros have been great, until now, at not giving away games. Now it's revolving cluster of mistakes and bad play. Espada needs to shake it up to show Crane a sense of urgency to get this thing turned around. Another thing that hurts him is he is not a former big leaguer. Things start going south and the older player won't listen to a guy who wasn't good enough. I got to know Trey Hillman, as he lives just outside of Georgetown, and he had issues in KC, with one particular star player, that led to multiple issues and him being let go eventually.
Prosperdick
5:56p, 4/18/24
In reply to TarponChaser
TarponChaser said:

spadilly said:

Off days…

Aggie baseball @ Bama tonight. I believe it's on SEC Network and if it's not you can stream it on the ESPN app.

Bama is another top-25 opponent and just took 2 of 3 from erstwhile #1 Arkansas last weekend. They're very tough at home.
And a rain delay so might not even get A&M baseball tonight if it doesn't clear...dammit, was looking forward to it. To make it Astros related, why can't we play like they do!!!
MaxPower
6:56p, 4/18/24
In reply to Ag4life80
Interesting. Makes sense, though I wasn't aware the Royals had "star" players back then.
3 Toed Pete
7:18p, 4/18/24
In reply to Ag4life80
Ag4life80 said:

Marvin said:

So, I'm confused on the comments about a negative clubhouse attitude.

• Is it complacency?
  • Is it WIIFM?
  • Is it a lack of faith in management?
  • Is it the absence of an alpha dog willing to call people out?

Besides that, how is it translating to field performance? Pitcher injuries are ridiculous but not related to culture. I haven't seen anyone not hustling, although Altuve has had some brain farts on the basepaths. I guess I could see it in terms of hitting with RISP in terms of mentality (not going with a pitch or giving yourself up to advance a runner). The home record has sucked for some time, so maybe there's something there.

So, what are the clubhouse issues and how have they manifested on the field?
Sounded like 1 and 4 to me.
The Astros have been great, until now, at not giving away games. Now it's revolving cluster of mistakes and bad play. Espada needs to shake it up to show Crane a sense of urgency to get this thing turned around. Another thing that hurts him is he is not a former big leaguer. Things start going south and the older player won't listen to a guy who wasn't good enough. I got to know Trey Hillman, as he lives just outside of Georgetown, and he had issues in KC, with one particular star player, that led to multiple issues and him being let go eventually.
You don't drink George Brett's grape soda, no matter who you think you are.
3 Toed Pete
7:35p, 4/18/24
In reply to Buck Compton
Buck Compton said:

The Porkchop Express said:

texasaggie2015 said:

MaxPower said:

Ug, very concerning
I've been mentioning this for a while now. It's unfortunate. The brains behind the operation are no longer around and Crane has very much taken the reigns himself. He's a smart man... but being a smart man and being equipped to run an entire baseball organization are two completely different things.

I've been told he lost his ability to trust his people after the scandal came out. Things haven't been the same since.
This actually makes Crane a lot more sympathetic to me. Guys he put in power positions were constantly lying to him by omission and he had to wear the results and forever had his perception changed of what should have been his pinnacle as a sports owner. If i can't trust those guys, how do I trust anyone? It sucks that he's gone this way, but you cant blame him for losing faith in managers and GMs.
I take the exact opposite view. This sours me on him as a leader.

Your reaction to a failure shouldn't be to micromanage, especially if you don't have the expertise to do so. Just because you gave someone autonomy and let them drive decisions and failed, doesn't mean your approach to decentralizing decision-making was incorrect. And his inability to see the impact of his reaction is sinking the team.
I agree and even though I've been a huge fan of Crane's since it was announced he was considering buying the team and had played college baseball, I don't care for his more recent approach. He buys the club, hires Postolis as President, they bring in Luhnow and go with a very statistically advanced approach to the game and changed the game (one example - prior to Luhnow the infield shift was not used that often and many people around the league resented the Astros for that change). Around the league the Astros front office was seen as very arrogant and they were not well liked.

Then the "scandal" happens (and I question how much did Luhnow know about it) and Luhnow is gone. Did baseball order Crane to fire him, did Crane lose faith in him, or maybe Crane thought his front office was a bunch of arrogant aholes and let him go. We'll probably never know. And now they seem to have undone everything the Luhnow crew had put together right at the time their roster is really aging.

When you don't know what really happened it's hard to say what they should have done (I think they should have kept Luhnow) but either way they really departed from the approach that got them to the top. And God only knows what that ******** Manfred was telling Crane he should or had to do.

Ag4life80
7:43p, 4/18/24
In reply to MaxPower
MaxPower said:

Interesting. Makes sense, though I wasn't aware the Royals had "star" players back then.
I cannot remember the player's name. He was an all star left fielder who had converted from third baseman in college. Lefty hitter who played at Nebraska or maybe Arky.
Farmer1906
7:47p, 4/18/24

Decent segment on our start. Is it time to panic?
superaggie73
7:47p, 4/18/24
In reply to Ag4life80
Ag4life80 said:

MaxPower said:

I cannot remember the player's name. He was an all star left fielder who had converted from third baseman in college. Lefty hitter who played at Nebraska or maybe Arky.

Alex Gordon based on your recollections.
Ag4life80
7:51p, 4/18/24
Alex Gordon is the one. Trey is a really good dude and was a bench coach for the Astros under Hinch for a couple of years.
Mr.Bond
7:58p, 4/18/24

Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

texasaggie2015
8:35p, 4/18/24

Good to see. Both him and Brice Matthews are fascinating prospects with such a wide range of possible outcomes.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 304 of 611
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings