***** 2024 Houston Astros Season Thread ***** [Staff Warning]
1,301,217 Views | 26810 Replies
Marvin
2:07p, 4/21/24
The road goes on forever, and the suckage never ends.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
W
2:08p, 4/21/24
In reply to The Beef01
the 610 midday show calls him the "substitute teacher"
MaxPower
2:09p, 4/21/24
Let Dana blow up this ***** and hide B**** and Reggie. Don't need amateurs in the room when big boy decisions are made.
f1ghtintexasaggie
2:10p, 4/21/24
When will we see some sort of accountability for this **** show? The quality of play is crap, but the lack of competitiveness is unacceptable.
The Porkchop Express
2:12p, 4/21/24
Maybe we can trade Verlander back to the Mets for Drew Gilbert
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Farmer1906
In reply to MaxPower
MaxPower said:

Let Dana blow up this ***** and hide B**** and Reggie. Don't need amateurs in the room when big boy decisions are made.

I'm not exactly sure I want Dana running the show for our rebuild.
The D
When I watch this team, it is like no one cares. They don't give a **** they are losing.
Boiling Denim
So this team gets swept by the Cubs, splits with the Rockies and comes back home ****ting their britches after some bad Mexican water and gets curb stomped by the best record in the AL Guardians, Mariners who they can't hit on their best day and we'll all get to watch the Yankees put us down for the count in early May
gambochaman
2:13p, 4/21/24
In reply to The Beef01
The Beef01 said:

Given this team's pedigree and the lack of focus/awful play; you're fully justified in firing Espada early. Again, he isn't just someone who takes a lineup card out and he shouldn't have any leash since he is basically a 5th year of Dusty Baker's regime.

Yep I think im on the fire espada train now also

He clearly has no answer to why this team is playing so poorly
Beau Holder
In reply to The D
The D said:

When I watch this team, it is like no one cares. They don't give a **** they are losing.

Yep. Bum energy. Lost season.
The Beef01
In reply to W
W said:

the 610 midday show calls him the "substitute teacher"

That seems appropriate and he is clearly not cut out for this…I honestly can't think of a single manager that could manage to do what the Astros what he has for a month.

Every button he pushes is wrong, he continues to compound bad decisions by sticking with them when it's clearly not working.

You have an everyday player with as many errors as hits through 20+ games…sometimes, telling guys to pull their head out of their ass or else they're done IS the answer.
Wabs
2:15p, 4/21/24
Barring a very unlikely complete turnaround, we need to be sellers this summer. The only players I'm not trading are Altuve, Yordan, Pena, Diaz and Javier. Everyone else can go as we replenish the farm. I'd check in with Tucker, but I would NOT overpay to extend him. He would be our biggest trade piece when we start dismantling.
W
2:15p, 4/21/24
does JV have a no-trade clause?

either way...he would probably be willing to jump ship to a contender at midseason
West Roxbury
2:16p, 4/21/24
In reply to The D
The D said:

Clean house. They don't respect Espada and they apparantly don't have a leader among themselves. They don't win at home. They play without pride.
EastCoastAgNc
2:16p, 4/21/24
In reply to W
W said:

does JV have a no-trade clause?

either way...he would probably be willing to jump ship to a contender at midseason

Bregman does but I don't think JV does. He couldn't stop the Mets trade last year regardless of destination
tjack16
2:17p, 4/21/24
Don't really know why I expected a different result today. This team is who their record is at this point.
The Beef01
2:18p, 4/21/24
In reply to West Roxbury
West Roxbury said:

The D said:

Clean house. They don't respect Espada and they apparantly don't have a leader among themselves. They don't win at home. They play without pride.

There's really not much to say beyond this.

Also, before the Dusty Baker poster shows up again…no, we don't miss Dusty Baker; this coaching staff is here b/c of him and we're now paying for the depth of his incompetence. It's like a Bill Belechik tree on steroids.
htxag09
2:20p, 4/21/24
It's an absolutely beautiful day today. Probably the last until the fall.

Not sure why anyone would spend it inside watching this abortion of a team.
Marvin
2:21p, 4/21/24
Getting shoved by a nobody. Astro noodle bats do not discriminate.
JABQ04
2:23p, 4/21/24
Is this Parker's second career start? *********Cy Young out there mowing us down. Gonna pitch a 3 hit shut out.
Baseball Is Life
2:23p, 4/21/24
I only pay for Fubo to watch the Astros, so at least I will be saving $100 when I cancel at the end of this month.
MaxPower
2:24p, 4/21/24
It's official, we are the 2023 Mets. Are we smart enough to do what they did?
DeProfundis
2:25p, 4/21/24
I think Brown is more of a problem than Espada. He might not be a fiery leader but I'm not sure I see what he's going that's so wrong, the team is screwing up every way it's possible to screw up.

JV is in the clubhouse, Altuve is in the clubhouse, I trust those dudes to address the leadership crisis if there is one.

Brown is a glorified super scout who somehow got pushed into a GM position which has a helluva lot more to do than find talent.
The Beef01
2:25p, 4/21/24
In reply to MaxPower
MaxPower said:

It's official, we are the 2023 Mets. Are we smart enough to do what they did?

It's absolutely amazing to me what the last 18 months have done to the perception of Jim Crane & Cal McNair.

It's absolutely unreal.
Marvin
2:26p, 4/21/24
Since there's nothing to discuss about this game, let's talk future.

Whether he fires a couple of worthless coaches or not, does Crane let this play out and call it an aberration with respect to the roster? If it continues off the rails as it has so far, does he consider a soft reset? If so, what would that be? If so, who are your untouchables? I'd assume Altuve, Peña, and Alvarez. Not sure you'd get enough value for Diaz yet, so I'd throw him in there also. Maybe Bregman, Valdez, and Tucker- they certainly would bring the most in return.

tjack16
2:27p, 4/21/24
After today's game even if we went on that 8 game winning streak Dana Brown brings up… we'd still be under .500
EastCoastAgNc
2:28p, 4/21/24
In reply to Baseball Is Life
Baseball Is Life said:

I only pay for Fubo to watch the Astros, so at least I will be saving $100 when I cancel at the end of this month.

I wish I could cancel the MLB.tv subscription I have mid season, but I can't.
All I do is Nguyen
2:29p, 4/21/24
Sorry guys, I couldn't help the team win today
MaxPower
2:29p, 4/21/24
In reply to Marvin
Marvin said:

Whether he fires a couple of worthless coaches or not, does Crane let this play out and call it an aberration with respect to the roster? If it continues off the rails as it has so far, does he consider a soft reset? If so, what would that be? If so, who are your untouchables? I'd assume Altuve, Peña, and Alvarez. Not sure you'd get enough value for Diaz yet, so I'd throw him in there also. Maybe Bregman, Valdez, and Tucker- they certainly would bring the most in return.

Think you are spot on. Add JV to the list.
tjack16
2:30p, 4/21/24
In reply to Marvin
Marvin said:

My untouchables …
Altuve, Yordan, Pena, Diaz, Javier, Blanco, Garcia, and Tucker/Framber (if you plan on extending them)

I'd also try to bring up Loperfido and Melton if they aren't already up by August to get them so experience.
The Beef01
2:31p, 4/21/24
In reply to DeProfundis
DeProfundis said:

I think Brown is more of a problem than Espada. He might not be a fiery leader but I'm not sure I see what he's going that's so wrong, the team is screwing up every way it's possible to screw up.

It's a continuation of every bad spell from the past several seasons…they get into runs where they make stupid mistakes and look like they're completely uninspired.

The difference is that they were playing for a guy last year with some skins on the wall who could at least step-in and get them in the right headspace and now they're running over a guy that has no juice.

Teams notoriously excel the year after Dusty is sent packing…which is because they tend to go away from the players' manager model and the Astros decided to inexplicably go the other way.

Beau Holder
2:32p, 4/21/24
In reply to htxag09
I went to Crawfish Cafe, sat outside, and watched the Braves get to Eovaldi. Competent, half-a-****-given baseball is fun.
Beau Holder
2:33p, 4/21/24
Please at least get something for Bregman as a rental by the deadline.
West Roxbury
2:33p, 4/21/24
In reply to DeProfundis
But you either need to make good in-game moves or get the best focus out of the ballclub or both. He has done neither. We could go without a manager and have the same record as we have now. So Espada can go too. He is a player's manager and he said so. The only thing that the jury is still out on for Espada is bullpen management because it's too early in the season. But so far he scores an F minus across the board.

The veterans also need to be called out. They are showing zero pride.
tjack16
2:34p, 4/21/24
Side note. Our first is due next week so that'll be a happy summer and she will keep me distracted from this team

It'll be Aggie baseball, pool days with the baby and sleepless nights for the next 2-3 months
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 331 of 767
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings