*****Official Texas Rangers World Series Title Defense Thread***** [Staff Warning]
373,297 Views | 7560 Replies
aggietony2010
7:01a, 5/10/24
In reply to MrCoachEricTaylor
Here's to keeping the cutting and slicing focused on posts on our thread, and not our pitchers arms!
cmiller00
7:03a, 5/10/24
In reply to Seven Costanza
Seven Costanza said:

Random Trivia: Jim Abbott (the one-handed pitcher) had two hits as a major leaguer. Both were against the same pitcher (Jon Lieber).

That's someone Netflix should do a doc about.
DallasAg 94
11:18a, 5/10/24
In reply to KT 90
KT 90 said:

Update on rotation:

Thanks KT

Updated Rotation ahead:
@ Colorado
5/10: Gray @ Gomber
5/11: Heaney @ Feltner
5/12: Open @ Hudson/Open (Still listed on some sites, so we'll see)
v Cle
5/13: Open v Bibee
5/14: Lorenzen v Lively
5/15: Gray v Carrasco

I like moving Gray up, if he is available. 1st he was anchored in Denver, so he can help the others see what adjustments can be made. 2nd, it gives him a chance to get more IP. Like Ws, I think being Qualified is probably not a big deal in the big picture of things, but it is a good measure for a SP especially when it comes contract time. 3rd, it helps the team by pushing out a GS so someone can get back.

Updated SP Option for Open:
Urena <- Went 90PC on Tues. He could be available for 5/12.
Cole Winn: 8G, 6.10, 0.774 WHIP, 10.1 IP, 10 SO
Owen White: 1G, Inf ERA, 0.0 IP, 3H, 0 BB
Jack Leiter: 2GS, 12.91, 2.348 WHIP, 7.2 IP, 6 SO <- No word on him returning to the minors.

From the ESPN site, these are the "Estimated return dates"

5/18: Eovaldi won't be eligible to be back until after May 18, IIRC. That is if he is healthy.
5/21: Dunning - I think that is based on his eligibility. Right rotator cuff
5/24: Bradford - Rib fracture. Seems optimistic.
5/28: Scherzer - I don't think that happens. He was shutdown until he is pain free (Thumb/Forearm). Then, I'd expect 10-15 days of rehab.

8/1: deGrom, Mahle, Rocker <- All spit ball dates, IMO.

So, we have 5/12 and 5/13 to fill. Those spots come back on the 18th and 19th, however the 16th is an off-day.
Lorenzen could be available for the 19th. We have another off day on the 20th, so we could do a bullpen game on the 18th, but even if we don't... we'd get an extra day for Gray and Heaney.
DallasAg 94
11:37a, 5/10/24
Comparing Leiter's 2 GS:

4/18: 3.2 IP, 8 H, 7 ER, 3 BB, 3 SO, 85 PC, 0 HR
5/08: 4.0 IP, 7 H, 4 ER, 0 BB, 3 SO, 60 PC, 2 HR

That looks promising. G2 I think he came out strong and probably a little too confident in the 2nd. He was plagued with sloppy defense, but was able to get through 4IP on 60PC. I think if we had won the opener of the DH, Bochy probably leaves him out there.

Back to a point I made earlier, it will all depend on whether the FO thinks some of the other SP can get back.

I'm probably in the camp of don't rush Eovaldi back. Give Leiter another game. If he can continue to improve, I'd rather find out now rather than August. I think he'll end up back at AAA either way, but logging a few more innings could help develop the mental.
CowtownAg06
12:03p, 5/10/24
Out necessity I think Leiter is getting a few more turns.
Water Boy
12:57p, 5/10/24
Leiter definitely needs 2-3 more starts here in the bigs. Also keep in mind that the defense in his 2 starts has been bad and cost him a few runs. Like CY has said multiple times, we have to see what these young pitchers can do. Right now is the time to throw them out there.
Water Boy
12:59p, 5/10/24
In reply to DallasAg 94
Well said. Give the vets extra time to heal and rest their arms. We need them at the end of the season. Let's see who can take advantage of an opportunity and earn a spot for 25.
Flounder Dorfman
1:04p, 5/10/24
I'm definitely on board with seeing what the young pitchers can do. Of course, we don't have much choice for the time being, but I like seeing Leiter on the mound. Would so much rather see him out there than a 35 year old with no future in the organization.

With that said, I don't really care to see a whole lot of Owen White. He's about as much of a JAG to me as Davis Wendzel, and that's saying a lot.
Tksymm7
1:34p, 5/10/24
Leiter has already been optioned back to AAA Round Rock.
bmac_aggie18
1:35p, 5/10/24
In reply to Flounder Dorfman
What is JAG short for? I'm sure I'll kick myself once I realize how obvious it is lol
AgBQ-00
1:37p, 5/10/24
In reply to bmac_aggie18
Just A Guy
CowtownAg06
1:42p, 5/10/24
In reply to Tksymm7
I think that was part of the DH, so didn't burn an option and he doesn't have to stay 10 days.
DallasAg 94
1:43p, 5/10/24
Looks like Leiter has been returned to the Minors. He is no longer on the Active Roster.

We only have 12 Ps. Probably because we added Grossman.
https://www.mlb.com/rangers/roster

That may have all been orchestrated/determined leading up to adding the 27th for the DH.

That doesn't mean he won't be recalled, but looks like the Owen White show, for now.
Since Leiter pitched and isn't available, it might make sense to keep White for this weekend series out of the BP, where Leiter wouldn't be available.
DallasAg 94
1:44p, 5/10/24
In reply to Tksymm7
Beat me to it.
Tksymm7
1:45p, 5/10/24
I do think if the Rangers called him up again they would actually have to make a roster move though. Don't know who it would be, however.
DallasAg 94
1:47p, 5/10/24
Makes me want to puke a little:

SP: Gray-Heaney-Lorenzen-Urena-White

Filler: Hernandez-Leclerc-Yerry-Winn
RP: Latz-Robertson-Yates
DallasAg 94
1:50p, 5/10/24
In reply to Tksymm7
Actually, we only have 25.

I think I recall seeing that they said an announcement for Sborz' replacement would be today.

C: Heim-Knizner

IF: Smith-Seager-Semien-Lowe
UIF: Duran-Wendzel

OF: Carter-Taveras-Adolis
4thOF: Janko

DH/RHB: Grossman
Danny Vermin
4:12p, 5/10/24
This is hard to believe as up and down we have seemed to be.

Jimtim1216
4:20p, 5/10/24
Also not at full strength.
Tksymm7
4:27p, 5/10/24
In reply to Danny Vermin
Someone said it yesterday; we are very streaky like last year. A lot of all of nothing.
AgsWin2011
4:29p, 5/10/24
Feels just like last year with the exception I have real expectations this year.
Flounder Dorfman
4:38p, 5/10/24
I am not saying we are going to go back to back, but I think this team is better than last year's team. Definitely does not mean another World Series because who knows what can happen in the playoffs. But the lineup is the same except with the additions of Carter and Langford. Same rotation minus Montgomery at the deadline but add Scherzer, Mahle and maybe DeGrom in August. Much better bullpen.

I like this team. And that makes sense with it being very similar to last year's team, which I absolutely adored.
Water Boy
4:47p, 5/10/24
This team is better than last years. If we had average BP play last season we probably win 100 games. Unfortunately we have had to deal with so many injuries. I get that many other teams have a lot of players on the IL but our situation is different. For example the Astros have a similar amount of guys on the IL but they have JV and Framber now available and get Javier back next week. They also have Blanco pitching at an ace level. So by next week they will have their 1-2-3-4 top pitchers all available. Opposite of us who have their top 4 options out. With injuries it's not so much the quantity but quality. I'm not sure there's another team out there in the same situation. Much less still leading their division. It's insane to think about how successful we've been the last two season with horrible health.
ryanhnc10
4:49p, 5/10/24
In reply to Flounder Dorfman
Adolis had one of the greatest postseasons in mlb history. Others could potentially pick up the slack in the aggregate, but that was a once in a lifetime heater he was on. In any event, I'm here for it and interested how this season turns out
AgBQ-00
5:19p, 5/10/24
Just saw Jeff Borroughs' son, Sean died. He was also a former big leaguer and was only 43.

No word on cause of death
AgBQ-00
5:23p, 5/10/24
Also Skenes is making his MLB debut Saturday vs the cubbies
agent-maroon
5:46p, 5/10/24
In reply to AgBQ-00
AgBQ-00 said:

His mother, Debbie, told the Southern California News Group that the cause of death was cardiac arrest.

According to Long Beach Little League president Doug Wittman, Burroughs was found unconscious next to his car in the parking lot at a Long Beach ballfield after dropping off his son, Knox, for a Little League game.

Wittman said CPR was performed on Burroughs in hopes of reviving him, but he remained unresponsive and was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after.
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40121064/former-mlb-infielder-llws-star-sean-burroughs-dies-43
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
fc2112
6:35p, 5/10/24
In reply to AgBQ-00
AgBQ-00 said:

Also Skenes is making his MLB debut Saturday vs the cubbies

I'll watch on MLB TV since Livvy will be there.
DallasAg 94
7:16p, 5/10/24
In reply to fc2112
You expecting a Swifty type showing?!
Aggie Class of 2026
7:48p, 5/10/24
Trying to keep up with both the Rangers and the Ags in their games right now by the ESPN website

*head explodes*
Water Boy
7:56p, 5/10/24
This pitcher may go all 9 at this rate.
Water Boy
8:02p, 5/10/24
Wendzel sucks.
Seven Costanza
8:18p, 5/10/24
Probably common knowledge at this point, but I saw that Jordan Montgomery fired Scott Boras after signing in March. The current deal has the chance to cost him a ton of money if he gets hurt or has a bad year. Of course he could wind up being just fine if he does well and then opts out of the second year after this year.
MrCoachEricTaylor
8:20p, 5/10/24
In reply to fc2112
Dunn>Swift 101 times out of 100
Aggie Class of 2026
8:38p, 5/10/24
What is Garcia making this season on his 1 year deal?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 177 of 217
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings