Visiting the Oakland Coliseum

1,902 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by TarponChaser
YokelRidesAgain
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Today it was confirmed that this season will officially be the last year in the East Bay for the Oakland Zombie Athletics, who will be taking their talents to Sacramento in 2025.

I have a strange desire to attend a game at their derelict, dying ballpark before it closes forever.

Who has tips on visiting Oakland? Please note that I am not asking if this is a good idea: I am well aware that it is not.

My priorities are easy access to the Coliseum and not having a car. If I could not get stabbed and/or not step in human excrement, those would also be pluses. I am thinking maybe I should stay in San Francisco close to a BART station and ride the train to Oakland?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Enzomatic
YokelRidesAgain said:

Today it was confirmed that this season will officially be the last year in the East Bay for the Oakland Zombie Athletics, who will be taking their talents to Sacramento in 2025.

I have a strange desire to attend a game at their derelict, dying ballpark before it closes forever.

Who has tips on visiting Oakland? Please note that I am not asking if this is a good idea: I am well aware that it is not.

My priorities are easy access to the Coliseum and not having a car. If I could not get stabbed and/or not step in human excrement, those would also be pluses. I am thinking maybe I should stay in San Francisco close to a BART station and ride the train to Oakland?

A lot of the Bart stations in SF are bad areas, I'd be extra careful about that. Vagrants love the stations as places to set up shop. If staying in SF, gotta be careful there too, but Uber to a Bart station is probably your best bet. I never had any problems with parking at the coliseum though, so a rental car might not be a horrible option.

I miss going to As games, but I don't miss a lot of the other crap that goes along with it…
AggieEP
It's a bad idea, I lived in the Bay area for 7 years, Oakland is not a place you want to be caught out at night. If you can plan for a Sunday day game or a weekday getaway game then you increase your odds of getting in and out without an incident.

As mentioned, the BART attracts some unsavory folks. You'd be better off just taking an Uber right to the stadium if you are not renting a car. If you do rent a car, get the insurance in case it gets broken into while you are at the game.
W
AG
I would pick a day game and drive

the stadium is right off the freeway and the parking lot is huge

(or at least it was 20 years ago)
cr06gis
AG
I've driven and parked and uber'd from SF for the 2 times I've gone. No issues either time. Both were day games. I've never had issues on the Bart on either side of the Bay, but it's been 10+ years...

I echo the others in aiming for a day game.

The fans both times I've been were great to be around. Very knowledgeable. Not too many of them around anymore unfortunately
Smeghead4761
My first baseball game ever was an A's game in the early 80s, long before the Return of the Raiders and the erection of Mount Davis ruined the Coliseum as a baseball stadium. Tickets were free from school for reading a certain number of books, or some such thing.

Being, by upbringing, a Giants fan, I think I only ever went to one other A's game. I did take BART to a Giants game last summer (which entailed walking about a mile to AT&T Park, which wasn't bad at all).

If you want to take BART, I would recommend staying in Dublin or Pleasanton, in the East Bay. Much nicer than SF, unless you also want to play tourist in SF. I don't think there are any hotels immediately near the Dublin-Pleasanton station, but it would be a short Uber ride.

If you like wine tasting, nearby Livermore (where I grew up) has a lot of wineries, plus a nice downtown. I recommend French Dips & More on First Street for lunch.
BCSWguru
I am visiting Oakland in a few weeks. Flying into SFO and taking the Bart to the stadium from there. I picked a day game on purpose. I've never been so I hope it goes well.
agproducer
AG
I went in 2018. I flew into the Oakland airport for business. A day game happened to start about 90 minutes after I landed. The stadium is about 10 minutes from the airport. It was more expensive to park than to get a ticket. I paid $20 to park, and they had scalpers on property trying to unload tickets. I bought a ticket for $1, then went in and sat wherever I wanted to.

The areas around the stadium are complete trash. It seemed somewhat unsafe to get to the stadium, even during the day. I can't even imagine what it would be like at night.

The stadium is an absolute dump. Think of the Astrodome now without a roof and without any renovations. The field though was beautiful. The atmosphere created by the fans who were actually there was good, and I enjoyed the drums. Stadium food was relatively cheap.

I can't speak on where to stay. I stayed at a conference in Walnut Creek. If you drive, prepare for traffic, especially during rush hour.

Added some pictures.

BMX Bandit
i'm more interested in seeing a game in sacramento than oakland.
chick79
AG
I may actually make a road trip to Sacramento when the As play the Rangers. I ever once considered making a road trip to Oakland. It's a cesspool.
_lefraud_
AG
Agreed

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Yeah I only live 4 hours from Sac so I might actually make a couple games when the rangers are in town. Oakland isn't much further, and I did want to try to make it to a game there, but I don't really want to deal with the hassle of Oakland.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
BMX Bandit said:

i'm more interested in seeing a game in sacramento than oakland.

I said this exact thing to my brother tonight.

I'm going to Citi Field, Yankee Stadium, and Fenway in May/June this year so my traveling baseball budget for the year is shot.

I'll just hit up Sacramento in a year or two.
Double Talkin' Jive...
Smeghead4761
One thing I haven't seen in any of the stories: will the A's be sharing the park with the River Cats (the Giants AAA team), or will the Cats be playing elsewhere?

Edit to add: This doesn't really answer the question. https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/mlb/oakland-athletics/mlb-rumors-river-cats-coliseum/1720605/?fbclid=IwAR1U_fLQtCL2-9Mbfh0nlLh3VUd9RZ5A43kzQkXDmI2NbEeKQ_WHSWEGG20
WestTexasAg
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

BCSWguru
Going to see Stripling pitch Wednesday. Should be sweet.

Anyone ever taken BART from SFO all the way to the coliseum? Is it just a change at Balboa Station?
GrapevineAg
AG
BCSWguru said:

Going to see Stripling pitch Wednesday. Should be sweet.

Anyone ever taken BART from SFO all the way to the coliseum? Is it just a change at Balboa Station?

I _think_ you take BART from SFO to Montgomery station, then switch to the green line to the Coliseum.

It's been ~12 years and we hopped on in San Bruno (close to SFO). I know we didn't have any problems. The walk from the Coliseum station to the stadium is interesting though!
WoMD
Sacramento is commonly over 100 degrees (Oakland has almost perfect weather year round, which was an appeal when compared to going to giants games; cold beer in the sun in that stadium was actually an incredibly fun experience regardless of how ****ty the stadium is, and felt a little like watching spring training games in phoenix). Yes, it's a dry heat, but sitting under that sun during day games will be brutal. Nights will be pretty great though.

I'm still bummed they're leaving. Oakland has lots of ****ty areas, but there are actually some pretty great areas too that I still appreciate. I actually considered moving to east bay from SF for awhile. But losing the As is a huge kick to the nuts for fans, especially after the quality that was put on the field, and the ****ty stadium they were subjected to. Even so, the games were a blast, and ill miss going. End of an era...
BCSWguru
It was like going back in time. Stripling was on, Pirates stink.

fc2112
Looks just like the concourse at RFK stadium in DC from back in the day.
Aggie Class of 2026
Easy...

Just Uber
AgRyan04
Looks like all those 70s cookie cutter stadiums....

Three Rivers, Riverfront, The Astrodome (without a lid), etc.

Not sure it'll be missed
TarponChaser
The stadium is a dump but the weather is almost always beautiful.

Sadly, most of Oakland is a disaster. The area around the stadium isn't nice but I don't consider it scary. It's a pretty industrial area. Mostly warehouses. It would be like dropping a stadium in the freight areas around a major airport. But, it does get really sketchy real fast once you're several blocks east of the stadium. The industrial area is something of a buffer.

It's really a shame that these places have become so trashed out because the climate and scenery in the Bay Area are fantastic.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.