Whitey Herzog - 1931-2024

656 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by 94chem
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cardinals & Baseball Mourn Passing of Dorrel "Whitey" Herzog at Age 92
https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/fans/tribute/whitey-herzog

He ran a style of offense that I loved to watch. Since I've lived in Missouri, I'd come to appreciate what a great baseball man he was. Very sorry to hear of his passing, but 92 is a nice run.
ChipFTAC01
AG
There's some great quotes from and about Whitey from his season in charge of the Rangers in 'Seasons in Hell'. Don't want to mess them up by going from memory.
The Porkchop Express
dabo man said:

Cardinals & Baseball Mourn Passing of Dorrel "Whitey" Herzog at Age 92
https://www.mlb.com/cardinals/fans/tribute/whitey-herzog

He ran a style of offense that I loved to watch. Since I've lived in Missouri, I'd come to appreciate what a great baseball man he was. Very sorry to hear of his passing, but 92 is a nice run.

'85 Cardinals: 314 steals, 87 HR, NL champs. Just shy of 2 team steals a game. Coleman had 110, McGee had 56, Van Slyke had 34, Herr had 31, Smith had 31, Pendelton had 17, Lonnie Smith had 12 off the bench in 28 games. Always wonder what Crds could hae been in the second half of the 80s if they didn't trade away Van Slyke.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
94chem
Hard to believe it's been 39 years since Vince Coleman was injured in the NLCS when the tarp roller at Busch Stadium rolled over his leg.

Mike Jorgensen, former Ranger and a reserve on the '85 Cardinals, was my 7th grade basketball coach in 1985.

At the same time, I was friends with Jim Sundberg's kid, as we were in the same elementary school class several times. So the '85 series was pretty memorable.

Many fond, and often blurred, memories of coming home from school on those fall days and tuning into the afternoon playoff games, either the NLCS or ALCS. What could beat playoff baseball, with a night game to follow?

I hardly dared to dream that maybe my Rangers would be there someday...
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
GrapevineAg
AG
94chem said:

Mike Jorgensen, former Ranger and a reserve on the '85 Cardinals, was my 7th grade basketball coach in 1985.

Was just looking at his baseball card earlier this week. That's cool that you had him as a coach!

94chem
Looks like about a '80 Topps. I have one of those.

I went to the Christian School in Pantego. Several player's kids went there. Sundberg, Jorgensen, Lamar Johnson, Danny Darwin.

Jorgensen got to play an inning or so in game 7 after KC had put it away. Back then staffs would only carry about 9 guys, so you had room for a backup 1B with no speed or power.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.