Help planning Portugal trip in September

749 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by water turkey
dr_boogs
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll be in Lisbon for 4 days in September. Would like to take my better half for an anniversary trip and spend 3-4 days on front or back end of time in Lisbon somewhere else in Portugal.

Need recs for a quieter 3-4 days within 3-4 hours train ride to Lisbon, as we will have to fly in and out of Lisbon. View of ocean, good dining and hiking opportunities, history/museums, etc. Salt water fishing (fly or conventional) would be a bonus.

Thanks & Gig'em!
TXAGGIES
Following. We are going in early August, but staying in Sintra.
Crocker91
AG
Porto is lovely and much smaller than Lisbon. Braga is near Porto and even smaller and just as charming. A day in Fatima is a wonderful experience.
barbacoa taco
AG
Sintra is a must. About an hour train ride from Lisbon and a really cheap one at that. Recommend staying the night there but if you can only do a day trip that's fine too.
eiggA2002
AG
This is an absolute no brainer. The Douro River valley. Spend 3-4 nights in a quinta (winery) in one of the best wine regions in the world. Checks most of the boxes. Plus Porto is an awesome city to stay a night.
dr_boogs
AG
Thanks for the suggestions, some great ones so far! Please keep them coming and share any specific lodging locations, tours, or vistas that were memorable!
CowboyGirl
AG
Taking this on a different direction - literally - you could look at going south th the Algarve region for the beaches. There's a train to Faro that runs about 3 hrs but it's a pretty touristy spot and may still be pretty crowded in August.

Personally, I'd rent a car and either drive direct from Lisbon or from Faro and find your style of beach spot - big resort, boutique, VRBO - and check out different beaches between Sagres and Albuferia. There are boat or ocean kayak trips that take you to grottos and caves and to private beaches that you can only reach from the water. (Coast is similar to Cabo.) And there are hikes to public beaches that are almost deserted. And there are bigger beach resorts that have their own private beaches. There are also wineries in the Algarve you could visit.

Driving from Lisbon to Albuferia is about 2.5 hours from Lisbon. Or about 45 minutes from the Faro train station.
water turkey
My brother lives in Albufiera and the pictures he sends are amazing. Can't wait to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.