Yosemite in April

667 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 21 days ago by TXTransplant
TXTransplant
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are here now, and I thought I'd share some of the details of our trip.

I knew when booking that the weather would be unpredictable, but I wanted to see the waterfalls at their peak, and April is significantly cheaper than May.

Flew from IAH to FAT through Vegas. Flights were uneventful.

FAT is a smallish airport, so we got our rental car pretty fast and were on our way to Mariposa, where our Airbnb is. We drove through Oakhurst and stopped at Southgate Brewing for lunch which we enjoyed.

Airbnb in Mariposa is great, and there are a couple of others that come highly recommended as well. If anyone is interested, I can share links.

Mariposa is a small town, but I opted to stay here so that we had some semblance of civilization. Yosemite is very remote, and while the distance from Mariposa (to the west) and Oakhurst/Wawona (to the south) isn't far, it takes about an hour either way because the roads are two-lane and very winding. Speed limit is 30-50 mph most of the way. We have now driven both routes to Yosemite - Hwy 140 and Hwy 41 - and we prefer the 140 route.

Grocery in Mariposa is no HEB, boy it had everything we needed, and surprisingly, prices were not crazy high. This is the biggest reason I opted for Mariposa. We like to cook our own food, and any options closer to the park have no access to anything more than a small convenience store.

There is a local apple farm in Mariposa that makes a great cider - Sierra Cider. We tried to go to the tasting room yesterday but they closed early. Local brewery is 1850. BF is enjoying a couple of their beers; restaurant was good food but very slow service.

Now to the park. First day in the park was April 13. So far, the weather forecast has been spot on because we were able to enjoy some good weather before rain/fog/snow set in that afternoon.

Entering the park, one of the first things you see is Bridal Veil Fall (stunning) and El Capitan. Heading in a little more, you see Upper Yosemite Fall. The power of this fall is astounding, even from far away.

We did the small "hike" around Bridal Veil Fall (you will get wet!) before heading on to the parking area at Lower Yosemite Fall. Bridal Veil fall is very powerful, and because you are so close, is a sight to behold. The sounds the water makes are also incredible. Really impressive.

Lower Yosemite Fall is great, but it's not really a "hike". Just a viewing area on a flat trail that makes a loop around a campground. Nothing really to see other than the fall, but it's about a mile walk.

The real fun is the Upper Yosemite Fall hike, which we opted to do. After about 1-5 hours hiking up about 1000 ft through a granite forest, we hit Columbia Rock with a stunning view of Half Dome. The. About 10 min past that was the "Oh My Gosh" view of the Upper Fall. This is truly amazing. We went a couple of switchbacks past the very first view and found some rocks to sit on and enjoyed an unobstructed view of the fall for about 20 min. The sound is just crazy, and the patterns the water makes as it's falling are hypnotically beautiful. We could even feel a little of the mist hitting us.

At this point, you have the option to continue to the top of the upper fall. We opted not to because we were already 1.5 hours in and the trip to the top is another 2 hours of hiking one way. We knew bad weather was coming, and we didn't want to risk it. Sure enough, had we continued on, we would have been descending in rain and snow.

After hiking back down to the trailhead, we did a driving tour of the park, just to get our bearings. We stopped at Yosemite Village and walked around a little, but there isn't much to write home about here.

We were tired at his point, so we headed out, opting to take 41 to check the status of Tunnel View. By the time we got there, the valley was almost completely filled with clouds and you could barely see Bridal Veil Fall. This is about when it started snowing.

We took 41 all the way to Oakhurst. This drive is at higher elevation than 140, so it snowed the entire way. We were also several cars behind what turned out to be a student driver car that would NOT pull over so we could pass (there are pull-overs on both routes, with lots of signs encouraging slow drivers to pull over and let other pass). So, the drive was not fun…lots of brake lights and 20 mph curves.

It continued to snow in Oakhurst as well as in Mariposa at our Airbnb. The town of Mariposa supposedly only gets 3" of snow annually. I think we got half that on Sat night/Sun morning.

We did not head back to Yosemite yesterday until after the snow stopped, and we opted to do the Mirror Lake Trail. This is a long hike, but easy because it's relatively flat. I highly recommend you do the entire loop, as the scenery on each side is COMPLETELY different. It was chilly and it misted almost the entire hike. Views of Half Dome from Mirror Lake were obstructed by clouds, but it was still a lovely, moody hike. The weather sort of added to the ambience.

Headed back today to do Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall. As of yesterday, the Mist Trail was open to Nevada Fall and free of snow.

So far, the crowds have been very light. None of the trails have been crowded, and at times, we've been hiking in solitude. Only places where we see a lot of people gathered together are the campgrounds and villages (for obvious reasons).

Weather has been better than I expected and should be great today.

Tuesday we will visit Mariposa Grove before headed back to Fresno for an early flight Wed morning. I'll update our experiences today and tomorrow.

Can share pics, if anyone is interested.

TXTransplant
Hiked to Vernal Fall and Nevada Fall today. There is a reason so many people say this is one of the best hikes in Yosemite. It was epic.

We couldn't complete the loop because the trail just past Nevada Fall was still closed. So, we had to so back exactly the way we went up and descend Vernal Fall again. This made the hike longer. We were out for 5 1/2 hours and almost 10 miles.

Headed back to Curry Village and had the absolute best pizza and beer.

Got some great pics at Tunnel View on the way out. It was almost too perfect to be real. Saw a bear on the way out of the park, too.

I'll link my photos in the next post.
TXTransplant
https://instagr.am/p/C5uTyaqpYEj

https://instagr.am/p/C5w-ObcrZtj

https://instagr.am/p/C5zawo0JOVT

https://instagr.am/p/C5zbHVwphZJ

AggieOO
Went there 20 years ago. Forgot how beautiful it is.
The Chicken Ranch
AG
Thank you for sharing!
TXTransplant
Spent the last day visiting the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias. This area of the park is the southern-most entrance on 41, closer to Oakhurst.

There is a parking lot on the highway, and then it's 2 miles to the start of the grove. There is a shuttle that runs seasonally, but it wasn't in operation yet, so we had to walk 2 miles (4 miles round trip) just to get to the grove. We took a trail in and walked the road that the shuttle buses take on the way out. Neither path is anything to write home about, and I would not recommend hiking this part if the shuttle is running.

There is up to probably another 5 miles of hiking in the grove, with various trees and points of interest along the way. The hiking is not too strenuous. We gained about 1000 ft in elevation, but it was mostly gradual incline.

Including the 4 miles in and out, we hiked 9 miles at the grove. We saw most of the "famous" mature trees, but not all of them. The trees are cool, but I ran out of gas about 2 miles from the car.

I also think this area of the park is not as well maintained as others. I don't know if it's because it's the start of the season or what, but the trails were not clear (there was a very large fallen tree across one part of the trail and smaller trees across other parts) and the bathrooms at the grove were unacceptable (both toilets were filthy). There was also still quite a bit of snow on parts of the trail. It was like walking in slippery sand and made the hike more difficult. I wouldn't expect the snow to be cleared, just documenting that this time of year, it can be a nuisance.

Overall, I really enjoyed this trip. I don't know that I will return to Yosemite, but I'm definitely glad we took the time to visit, and going in the spring was a good choice. The cooler temperatures made for really pleasant hikes.

I can't imagine doing the hikes we did in the peak of tourist season and enjoying them. I'm much less tolerant of crowds than I used to be, and hiking Vernal and Nevada Falls with 3000 other people (the sign said that's the peak) does not sound like fun. We were able to enjoy the park in relative peace and tranquility, and to me that's priceless.
TXTransplant
https://instagr.am/p/C51668EJWZk
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.