United Upgrade question

1,193 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by lazuras_dc
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was just offered the opportunity to upgrade from economy to first class for $140/passenger (one way only). It's a relatively short flight (AUS-DEN), so not sure if it's worth it even though it's a great price, but knowing the answer to this would probably help: If I do it will they refund my seat selection fees for my old tickets or is that already baked into the price they offered me? We paid for exit row seats.
ktownag08
AG
That's not a good offer to upgrade in my view.

Flight is very short and will barely get any benefit.

Crazy Ag 97
AG
They will not refund your previous ticket fees. I would call that a mediocre deal. Not terrible but not great. If you need to stock up on additional PQP to hit your status this year, then I'd consider it, otherwise, I'd pass.

For reference, we fly IAH to MCI (Houston to Kanas City) often, and we can usually just buy fc tickets at booking for $100 more each way.
aggiedata
AG
They on their site say the cost to upgrade to first for you take into account the price you paid for your previous upgrade.

I'd do it if you are going on a vacation. Yeah it's short but you can spend $140 on a bad pair of shoes.
Counterpoint
AG
It was for a vacation, so I went ahead and did it. The seat selection fees for the previous seats were refunded automatically. I think that made it worth it!
Matsui
AG
Excellent. Let us know how it goes
NColoradoAG
Never anything wrong with taking a reasonable buy up upgrade to first to start off a vacation IMO. Especially if you'd already dropped $70-90 on the Economy Plus fees. It's even more valuable if you were going to have to pay to check bags. Not even really a downside with the quality of food, but the AUS-DEN flight is just under the length for a full meal so it'll just be the basket of snacks.
lazuras_dc
AG
$820 a person to upgrade to business class DFW to Madrid? Thoughts?
aggiedata
AG
Is it lay flat seats? If yes. I would
62strat
AG
not to take away from OP, but I figure I'd post here as it's related.

Just bought 4 economy tickets DEN-CUN, and immediately after it asked to upgrade to first for about $1200.

Before I hit yes or no, I hopped on my phone app and checked the price for first class, and it was only ~$900 more than what I just spent on the free economy seats (for all 4, so $225 ea or so). So the offer to upgrade was MORE than what I would have spent if I just bought it in the first place... Is that a normal offer?

I actually canceled my original flights, then booked the first class for $900 more.
It's for a week vacation for my oldest turning 10 so figured I'd surprise him.. I got a great deal flying back on points so I'm calling it wash.
Aggie71013
AG
Do this in a heartbeat. Only downside is upgrades are non refundable if you opt to change your flights. You'd lose the upgrade and the money.

That would not apply to irrops
lazuras_dc
AG
Dangit they raised it to 1200 when I checked it again this morning.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.