Jalisco, Mexico Recs

1,353 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 45 min ago by oldag941
crb87
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone been to Jalisco, MX? Mainly just wanting to do tequila tours, visit local restaurants/bars and stay at interesting places. Any recommendations on ways to travel there and places to go while there would be great. Also, is there a good time of the year to go? Thanks and Gig'Em!
JustPanda
AG
Good news: Tequila tours are super fun and there's even a train that will take you from GDL. The best times to go are Feb, March, and April. Less crowds and not as hot. You also avoid the rainy season that starts in June along w peak tourist seasons (June - August) and (November - January). So, less crowds and better weather and off peak pricing.

Bad News: Exchange rate sucks right now and there's been a pretty significant increase in cartel violence in and around GDL since the start of 2023.

Ironically, even though GDL isn't close to the border, it has a crime level similar to some of the most dangerous towns in Mexico. It currently has a large turf war going on between the CJNG (one of the most violent cartels in MX) and the Plaza Cartel (off shot of the CJNG that's even more violent) along w the CDS and the Mexican Guardia Nacional. Like most of MX what was once a "safe" city for locals and tourists isn't really that "safe" anymore and once you get outside of GDL the state of Jalisco can be very dangerous especially if you do not speak Spanish.

My wife was born there and has family there and we live in MX part time and when we go to visit, we stick mostly in GDL or the aguas termales. We don't venture into most of the countryside much as those areas are mostly under control of the cartels and have elevated kidnapping levels and when outside of her vecino in GDL we absolutely do not venture out at night. Just recently, the CJNG murdered 8 workers at a local call center in GDL. One person was left alive with their eyes removed and tongue cut out the others were murdered and stuffed into bags. After that there was the murder of the students traveling on a bus that was hit with road side bombs and then they were kidnapped and tortured and killed (see more below for roads the cartels have openly claimed to control).

The town of Tequila has maintained a pretty decent bubble because of the number of tourists, but if you watch local news, you get the real picture which isn't exactly "safe" by American standards. Lots of local kidnappings disappearances and murders. Back in the day, in GDL most of your concern was petty property crime like car break ins but those petty property crimes seem to be turning into more violent crimes like muggings, stabbings, etc.

Overall, I think Jalisco is like the 10th most dangerous state in MX so not crazy by the standards down here, but not nearly as safe as you'd probably think coming from the US with a smattering of some VERY dangerous places especially as you move towards the borders of Michoacn, Guanajuato and Zacatecas like Lagos de Moreno. I'd suggest sticking to toll roads when applicable too and avoiding the following areas as they as check points for the cartels and extremely dangerous even for locals. This is an active list from a local Estado de Jalisco cartel warning FB page (yes the cartel actually has a page where they tell people what's up).

Jalisco-Michoacn border: Federal Highway 80 south of Cocula and on State Highway 544 between Mascota and San Sebastin del Oeste.

State Highway 307 between San Cristbal de la Barranca and Zacatecas.

Federal Highway 23 between Guadalajara and Colotln.

Federal Highway 15 near La Barca, Tizapn and Tuxcueca.

State Highway 215 between Jalostotitln and Teocaltiche.

Federal Highway 23 near Bolaños and the border with Zacatecas.

State Highway 414 near Quitupan.

Federal Highway 205 between Yahualica, Teocaltiche and Zacatecas.

Federal Highway 54 near the Jalisco-Colima border.

State Highway 429 between El Grullo and Ciudad Guzmn.

The Guadalajara-Tepic highway (15D) in the stretch approaching Santa Mara del Oro, Nayarit.

State Highway 205 near the border with Zacatecas.

Federal Highway 80 between Cañadas de Obregn and San Juan de los Lagos.

State Highway 405 near Mazamitla.

The road between Chiquilistln and Tapalpa.

State Highway 604 between El Refugio and Ahualulco.

State Highway 544 between Mascota and San Sebastin del Oeste. (The same highway continues to Puerto Vallarta.)

Federal Highway 80 between Acatln and Cocila.

The only really true large "safe" city in MX right now is probs Merida. Even where we live in Tulum has seen a total safety shift over the last year or so. Crime in our part of town (Aldea Zama) was non existent previously. But, Over the last couple months, we've had multiple tourists getting shot at Tulum Beach clubs and dead bodies being left in the streets or even on the beaches. You don't hear about those much in the US unless it involves an American tourists, but they're all over the news here.

Bad news is a lot of that crime seems to be driven by the CJNG (Jalisco cartel) fighting the CDS and which is the same turf war happening in Jalisco state at the moment. So, a lot of parallels between Tulum and GDL when it relates to the current safety situation.

If you do decide to rent a car please know that there is a lot of history between the rental car companies and the local police and the cartels. Back in the day, we NEVER rented a car because they had a scam where they would profile tourists and put those that looked well off into vehicles with expired matriculas which you'd never know as a tourist but that's pretty easy to tell as a local as they are a different color than the current years. Then, the tourist would leave not knowing the issue, go out into the country side, get stopped by the police for expired title which is an automatic tow, have the car towed, and then the local police would radio the cartel that there were some rich tourists stranded w no car. Usually they would end up robbed and almost beaten to death and dropped off along w their passports at the airport or back at their hotel.

Edit to add: I've been in several situations in Jalisco where I wouldn't have felt safe if I wasn't with my wife or her family and I'm Hispanic and speak fluent Spanish. I can't say the same about Tulum. I haven't had many "**** this is bad" moments here. I've had several in GDL a decent number in Estado de Jalisco, and dozens in Estado de Guanajuato to the point we won't travel there anymore.

Also wanted to add: most American tourists don't do a great job of not looking like American tourists. Don't make yourself more of a target then you'll already be: leave the jewelry at home (even your wedding band) don't flash around a nice new iPhone or purse or watch or shoes or anything. Be vigilant with what you talk about when drinking or around strangers (that includes tour guides etc) and understand that your expectations around safety etc in the US shouldn't be your expectations here. You need to kinda consider everyone is scouting you. For instance, you go on a tour and you sit next to the tour operator or affiliate etc - they start asking you questions about yourself. Seems super friendly….but if you tell them where you live, what you do, what type of car you have at home, where you go on a vacation, etc. that's ALOT of info they can use to profile you to anyone that theyre affiliated who may not have great intentions. So. I guess what I'm saying is that when most American tourists think they're dressing down and looking poor and blending in, they're still dressing WAY above what you find locally and typically share way to much w strangers. I try my best to wear old sandals, old T shirts, and shorts that don't look bad but don't shout Lululemon. I also keep the RayBans and Costas in the US and carry some $10 plastic cheap sunglasses from the grocery store.

For the most part, if you see a local wearing branded fashion items around here, it's usually either counterfeit or stolen. So just understand that if you decide to wear things that scream name brand because they didn't get from a store so watch your back.

Here a picture of my shoes and sandals and the mochilas we carry around here. Velcro's not Nikes or New Balance or Hoka. Local POS mochila vs Herschel Supply etc. Sandals that aren't Gucci or Nike etc. Little things that add up. I also don't wear my Apple Watch. I wear a plastic digital one from Walmart.

The Chicken Ranch
AG
Going to Mexico for any reason is a "hard no" for me.
wessimo
AG
Sheesh, same here.
TexasAggie81
In short, Puerto Vallarta. Safe, fun, great restaurants, and plenty of things to do … including tequila tours in the mountains. Enjoy.
2wealfth Man
AG
go to Acapulco if you want a real hair raising experience
JustPanda
AG
Mazatlan is worse. I've actually felt much safer in most of Chiapas than Mazatlan.
Ags2013
AG
Been to Guadalajara several times in the past couple of years. Be very weary of your surroundings.

Tequila is a super cool little town. I felt totally safe there.
wessimo
AG
https://www.npr.org/2024/05/05/1249210266/bodies-found-in-mexico-likely-those-of-missing-american-and-two-australians
JustPanda
AG
Yeah that's a super unsafe area honestly. Super sad. Just walked back home from Chendraui in Tulum. Didn't feel unsafe at all but also had a 100 lb pit bull w us.
Deerdude
On last two years I've been to Morelia, Oaxaca, San Miguel de Allende, Merida, Holbot, Mx City. I stay vigilant but for the most part do not go places where I should not go. Wife and I walk well traveled streets, and eat out but get back to hotel at a decent time. I'm not worried.

For GDL there's Tlaquepaque for shopping, Tequila or the Tequila train, and I enjoy running down to Chapala for a day trip. I don't trust my life on rural roads although I think the drive from US to GDL is probably safe on toll roads.

The routes I traveled in 80's from Nuevo Laredo thru Monterey, Saltillo, Zacatecas, to GDL were not safe then after dark.

Like I said if you don't do club scene, stay in populated area, and don't go where you should not be on the first place, I don't feel that it's more dangerous than any large US city. I do wear gold jewelry, and wife does as well. Never felt threatened.
JustPanda
AG
There was a shooting on the beach here yesterday. Broad daylight. We didn't see it but we could hear it.
oldag941
AG
Wow. Will be interested to see what you choose to do. After reading below, the world seems to have a ton of awesome places that have less risk of losing your life.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.