Heading to London this summer

874 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by CowboyGirl
farleyaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What are the best pubs?
Here4Beer
AG
Any part of London in particular? I can't remember any off the top of my head other than Ye Olde Mitre Pub, one of the oldest in London and has been around since the 1500s. Definitely recommend stopping in for a few pints but wouldn't spend my whole night there or anything. Great thing about London is you'll find plenty of quality pubs. Don't hesitate to ask locals if you meet any.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Here4Beer said:

Any part of London in particular? I can't remember any off the top of my head other than Ye Olde Mitre Pub, one of the oldest in London and has been around since the 1500s. Definitely recommend stopping in for a few pints but wouldn't spend my whole night there or anything. Great thing about London is you'll find plenty of quality pubs. Don't hesitate to ask locals if you meet any.

Username checks out
scd88
AG
farleyaggie said:

What are the best pubs?

Where are you staying? I like the neighborhood pubs but that means not staying right where all the action is. My family and I went last summer and stayed in Maeda Vale and just took the tube wherever.

If you like tennis and can time it right, don't be afraid of the queue to get into Wimbledon during the first week of play. Lot of fun.

Also, pubs close around 10 or 11; they're not open until 1:00 or 2:00 am like a nightclub.
TXCityAggie
AG
Not to hijack your thread, but I will be staying in Bermondsey this summer. If anyone has pub/restaurant suggestions for that neighborhood, please let me know.
Snipes
AG
Just Google oldest English pubs and see where that takes you. We did that for our anniversary 7 years ago and had a great time. Lamb and flag, ye old Cheshire cheese, seven stars, and highlight was ending night at mayflower pub. Can't go wrong other than drinking english cask ales.
farleyaggie
We are staying at: Treehouse Hotels

https://www.treehousehotels.com/london?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsMTh8PTVhQMV64FQBh3yNw-DEAAYASAAEgL3w_D_BwE

Thanks everyone!

Here4Beer
AG
Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese was a great one as well.
barbacoa taco
AG
Blackfriar Pub

https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/theblackfriarblackfriarslondon/#/
Urban Country Boy
AG
The Coal Hole on Strand.
Urban Country Boy
AG
The Tipperary on Fleet Street was the oldest Irish Pub in London. Opened in early 1600s. Covid shut it down. Sad. It wasn't big. And as the saying goes, everyone knew each other.
ATM9000
AG
farleyaggie said:

We are staying at: Treehouse Hotels

https://www.treehousehotels.com/london?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIsMTh8PTVhQMV64FQBh3yNw-DEAAYASAAEgL3w_D_BwE

Thanks everyone!

Not the most awesome pubs in that area. I used to walk by there pretty much daily on my commute to work. You do have The Wigmore right across the street which though in a big hotel I'd classify as an elevated pub and it is excellent.

In terms of going to an old pub that still looks and feels like an old pub in central London, I think Cittie of Yorke is a must visit. It's not an independent pub… but its' internal design is very unique.

Cadogan Arms in Chelsea is probably my favorite pub in London. And The Rake near Borough Market is probably my favorite I've been to in the last few months.
CowboyGirl
AG
We found a great pub walk tour in around the Bloomsbury area - guide took us to a bunch of pubs that different famous people used to hang out at. I think we found it through London Walks - they have a bunch of different ones. Their pub walks are not expensive and you got to learn about the pub and neighborhood - would have walked right past lots of cool things otherwise.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.