Cell Advice in Europe

1,098 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by akaggie05
CowtownAg06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wife is going to Europe for 9 days late next week. What is your advice for getting her cell access? We have Att, do we just add an international plan for a few days? She will be in the UK and France.

Also, anyone have a charger adapter they love?
Petrino1
Yes to the AT&T international day pass. Thats what I use whenever Im overseas. It works great and its only $10 per day. If you dont want to use it on a certain day, just turn on your airplane mode button and you wont get charged for that day.
jh0400
AG
Second International Day Pass. As long as you have it on your account, you don't have to do anything other than turn your phone off of airplane mode when you land.
aggiejumper
AG
Get a 3 pack of Type G and a 3 pack of Type E/F. Some will get lost/forgotten so good to have backups.

https://www.amazon.com/Ceptics-European-Adapter-Adaptor-Charger/dp/B01MR9DB9X?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1

With ATT day pass you use phone just like here in the States. No difference.
dirkjones
AG
I don't think she needs any changes unless she is planning on making voice calls. Usually my texting and data is free in Europe
Petrino1
dirkjones said:

I don't think she needs any changes unless she is planning on making voice calls. Usually my texting and data is free in Europe
This is not included with AT&T.
Urban Country Boy
AG
Petrino1 said:

" It works great and its only $10 per day."

My wife and I have T Mobile. We have an unlimited international text and data plan. Not 5G. When I read "$10 per day" I thought that was a lot. I checked out what T Mobile is charging now. Unbelievable. We pay $10 per month per phone. Unlimited international calls to land lines. Before turning on the data roaming I wait for the "Welcome too..." text.
CowtownAg06
AG
Thanks all... ordered plugs and adding day passes
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
Was in Europe last fall and we had absolutely no issues. We were in Italy, Greece and Turkey, and our phones worked exactly like they do here. With two phones for two weeks, it dd make for a pretty big bill, but it was nice to be able to stay in touch with the kids and easy as can be.
JMac03
AG
Just came back from Spain. $10/day with AT&T. I didn't even have to do anything. And if there is a day you don't use it, you aren't billed.
htxag09
AG
I'll just say depending on where you are and what you're there for...can generally get by with WiFi.
Petrino1
htxag09 said:

I'll just say depending on where you are and what you're there for...can generally get by with WiFi.
This gets harder to do when you need ubers or google maps to find certain places.
htxag09
AG
Petrino1 said:

htxag09 said:

This gets harder to do when you need ubers or google maps to find certain places.

Uber yes. We managed with google maps just fine. We'd download the local maps when we were at the hotel or Airbnb and never had an issue finding places or directions while on airplane mode.
Matsui
AG
Yes. $10 a day full services unlimited data.
dummble
AG
Not super convenient, but when we go to Europe, we just buy an unlimited data sim card at a newspaper store. They run about 10 euro. Swap your sims out and you are good to go.

You can also buy one in the terminal for 30 euro
JMac03
AG
dummble said:

Not super convenient, but when we go to Europe, we just buy an unlimited data sim card at a newspaper store. They run about 10 euro. Swap your sims out and you are good to go.

You can also buy one in the terminal for 30 euro
But does this work with your phone number? Or its just giving you data?
akaggie05
AG
It gives you a number in the local country. One gotcha, your phone has to be unlocked for this to work. Typically a carrier will keep their phones sim locked until it's paid off (assuming you are on a payment plan). If you purchased your phone outright it should either already be unlocked or you can call your carrier to get it unlocked.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.