February Housing Update Across Texas
1,915 Views | 22 Replies
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
8:18a, 3/15/24
HOUSTON

HAR:
Quote:

With an uptick in home sales and expanding inventory, the Houston real estate market's positive momentum in February brings an optimistic outlook for the spring homebuying season.

According to the Houston Association of Realtors' (HAR) February 2024 Market Update, single-family home sales across the Greater Houston area rose 7.6 percent. That is only the third increase in the past year....

The high end of the market saw the strongest performance in February. Home sales in the luxury segment ($1 million+), which represents just 3.5 percent of all homes on the market, surged 48.0 percent year-over-year. That was followed by the segment that consisted of homes priced between $500,000 and $1 million which rose 18.3 percent year-over-year. Only homes priced between $150,000 to $250,000 saw declines during the month. Rentals of single-family homes continued to hold strong in February....

"With pent-up demand, consumers appear to finally be pushing aside interest rate concerns and returning to the market, which bodes well for the spring homebuying season," said HAR Chair Thomas Mouton with Century 21 Exclusive. "The increase in home sales, slight appreciation in home prices and expanding inventory, creates opportunities for both buyers and sellers in the marketplace."

The Facts
  • Mean/Median pricing up 4.1% / 3.0% year over year
  • Inventory up 0.1 months from 3.3 to 3.4 from the last publication and up 0.9 months YOY
  • Total property sales are up 7% YOY
  • Active listings are up 22% YOY
  • Interest rates are up in the high 6% to low 7% range again since the bad inflation reports published over the last week
  • The 10 yr. treasury is sitting just about where it was last month, at 4.30% as of this morning

My Take
  • It seems like buyers have come to terms with 6-7% interest rates. Conversely, when rates fall, I think the Houston market is going to go bananas. More on this later.
  • There seems to be very little actual movable inventory in the "better" markets that most of my clients play in (Oak Forest, Memorial areas, Heights, etc.), and when something even somewhat acceptable gets posted, its moving fast. There is definitely inventory, but what isn't moving is generally either overpriced or needs significant repairs and is overpriced, or something to that effect.
  • The majority of folks I see selling are for (1) Death or (2) Divorce or (3) Work Move or (4) Have kids and need more space ASAP.
  • When I see major financial "whales" like Jamie Dimon (my favorite CEO, ha) and Ken Griffin say very similar things like this at around the same time, my take is that those comments are coordinated and coming from the Fed. Given this, I wouldn't expect rate cuts until at least the fed meeting on July 31. The CME Fedwatch Tool is showing that the market is pricing in a 50% chance of a 25 bps rate drop in June, but I think its not going to happen then, especially with all the bad inflation news we've gotten this past week. I do think we see rate cuts before the election.

https://www.har.com/content/department/newsroom?pid=2061

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/US10Y
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
8:23a, 3/15/24
Bryan / College Station Area Statistics:

• February was rather large compared to January as we had 252 property sales vs 177 in January.
  • New Listings are up 53% Year over Year, with 954 active listings in February.
  • Biggest category that sold (33 homes) and has the most listings is $300-$350K (158 active listings). One interesting tidbit - there are 94 active listings with prices listed over $1,000,000.
  • Closed sales are up 11.2% across the market to 239 properties, including a whopping 34% (101 properties) in College Station.

My Take-Aways:

• Transactions are happening across the Brazos - which is a good sign as buyer and sellers seem to be meeting on price and buyers are moving forward on purchases even with interest rates hanging around at their current levels.
  • Builders have continued to move forward on breaking ground with new home starts, which I think highlights the B/CS insulated area outside current market conditions in other major Texas Metros (no offense to my other Red Pear agents!)
  • There were 71 New Construction Home's sold in February (January had 46 homes)

Bryan/College Station MSA:

Rental Stats:

Bryan:

College Station:

Local County's:

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
JobSecurity
9:16a, 3/15/24
Quote:

Home sales in the luxury segment ($1 million+), which represents just 3.5 percent of all homes on the market, surged 48.0 percent year-over-year.

Crazy
Heineken-Ashi
11:30a, 3/15/24
Jamie, at what price point does the arbitrary $1M threshold for luxury get moved up? A $1M house today was a $700k house in 2020. A $500k house today was $350k in 2020.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
jja79
11:47a, 3/15/24
This reads as if the Texas market isn't tumbling.
swimmerbabe11
2:50p, 3/15/24
summer traffic has definitely begun
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
2:54p, 3/15/24
In reply to swimmerbabe11
swimmerbabe11 said:

summer traffic has definitely begun

I had 6 showings/appointments yesterday. One of the houses we showed to a buyer in the $1M range had at least 4 or 5 showings yesterday and already has an offer in hand.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
2:55p, 3/15/24
In reply to jja79
Houston isn't for sure.
htxag09
3:00p, 3/15/24
In reply to Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty said:

Houston isn't for sure.
Yeah, obviously anecdotal from a bystander, but seems there was a little lull but now I'm seeing houses going pending in our hood, Oak Forest, very quickly again. And houses/lots from $600k-$1.6mm+
swimmerbabe11
3:10p, 3/15/24
In reply to Red Pear Realty
both me and my partner were slammed this week during the week. I had 2 loan declines, one I had a new sale on before the ink was dry on the cancellation doc. loan approvals have seemed to be rough lately, but the desire is there.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
3:23p, 3/15/24
In reply to Heineken-Ashi
This is interesting to me too. Kind of the intersection of data science and psychology. In my mind the luxury market today is something between $1M to $2M but then north of $2M is the "ultra" luxury market. I think the overall number of $1M+ transactions relative to the market is small enough where they won't break it up any time in the near future, because of the amount of work it will take to break them up.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
3:28p, 3/15/24
In reply to htxag09
I forgot to post these two articles in my OP:

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2024/03/11/houston-area-job-recovery-growth.html

Quote:

Houston adds 100,000 jobs for the third year in a row, beating early estimates

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/02/21/how-wall-street-bought-single-family-homes-and-put-them-up-for-rent.html

Quote:

Wall Street has purchased hundreds of thousands of single-family homes since the Great Recession. Here's what that means for rental prices
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
3:34p, 3/15/24
In reply to swimmerbabe11
Sounds like we are seeing similar movement. Godspeed this spring/summer!
Heineken-Ashi
4:10p, 3/15/24
In reply to jja79
jja79 said:

This reads as if the Texas market isn't tumbling.
Multifamily in Houston is flat to slightly up this year on rents and occupancy. All other markets are down. Houston is being stubborn right now, but we lagged behind the others in the post COVID explosion in all sectors of RE.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
10:14p, 3/15/24
Austin-Round Rock

Central Texas Housing Data

Quote:

"Higher home prices and mortgage rates have diminished affordability for first-time homebuyers over the past few years, but February provided encouragement for these aspiring homeowners. We've witnessed a significant surge in new listings, predominantly among more affordable and attainable homesparticularly those priced under $400,000. The increase in housing options presents a promising opportunity for Central Texans who want to become homeowners."

Kent Redding, 2024 Unlock MLS and ABoR president, provided further insight into current market conditions.

"The spring homebuying season is typically a busy period, especially in the Austin area, where over 35% of annual sales occur between March and June. Buyers are keen on securing homes before the fall and the upcoming school year in August, drawn out by the enhanced curb appeal and favorable weather conditions. Through Unlock MLS, your REALTOR can combine their expert local market knowledge with the most complete and accurate market data to help you make the best decision for your budget and housing needs."

Austin Facts

• Median sales prices increased 1.2% YOY to $443,065 while closed sales increased 1.3% YOY to 2,144. For those of you that have been following the Austin market, this is the first increase in median sales price in 15 months!
  • New listings shot up 44.9% YOY to 3,915. This is a complete reversal from last February when new listings decreased just a little under 1% to 2,764.
  • I believe that Jamie makes an interesting point. It seems that buyers and sellers have come to terms with higher interest rates and they'd rather buy now than wait around.
  • It also looks like sellers are getting 95.4% of their asking price. That's up 3.2% since last February.
  • March seems to be going very well. I'm helping a client out with selling their property in Western Oaks, a nice little subdivision in south Austin. I'm helping the same client buy their new home as well. If everything goes as planned, they will save about $19,000 in listing fees and buyer rebates!

Austin-Round Rock

Bastrop County

Caldwell County

City of Austin

Hays County

Travis County

Williamson County

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
10:21p, 3/15/24
Austin Rental Data
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
10:31p, 3/15/24
Temple

Belton

Bell County

Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
10:33p, 3/15/24
Waco

McLennan County
Earth Rider
7:12a, 3/16/24
How is Bexar doing?
Tex117
11:09a, 3/18/24
Want to square your Austin statistics with the below?

https://www.wsj.com/economy/housing/once-americas-hottest-housing-market-austin-is-running-in-reverse-94226027
Corps_Ag12
12:44p, 3/18/24
What about D/FW? (Specifically FW)
htxag09
1:00p, 3/18/24
In reply to Tex117
Tex117 said:

Want to square your Austin statistics with the below?

https://www.wsj.com/economy/housing/once-americas-hottest-housing-market-austin-is-running-in-reverse-94226027
What doesn't square?

I mean just looking at the the Freddie Mac House Price Index Chart in that WSJ article:
Austin Metro:
  • Jan. 2024: Index of 354.193
  • Jan. 2023: Index of 368.895
  • Year over Year change of -3.9%

The chart posted above shows -2.8%

The above chart is also February, the WSJ article is January. 2023 absolutely showed steeper declines in the Austin market than 2023 seems to be. So it'd make sense the Y/Y change, when updated w/ February, would be lower.

Also, you're comparing an index vs. Median, what's city of Austin vs. Austin metro, etc.

Finally, the article paints a lot of extremes by comparing to the peak. But, if you look at the chart and look at the recent data, it would kind of agree that things are levelling off.....Haven't really seen a steep drop in Austin Freddie Mac House Price Index since Mayish of 2023.
Timberwolf
1:12p, 3/18/24
Do these monthly data reports incorporate new home construction or just existing homes? Reason I ask is that new home builds on recently completed land developments are markedly down in DFW.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings