Any landlords report rent payments (or missed payments) to credit bureaus?
1,235 Views | 6 Replies
NoahAg
2:21p, 3/21/24
I agreed to let a tenant out of his lease. In exchange, we agreed I would keep his deposit. He then missed his last 2 payments, but promised to pay when he starting getting paid from his new job. I didn't bother going down the eviction route since it was so close to him moving out.

At this point is it worthwhile trying to report him for nonpayment? Or should I just chalk it up to a learning experience and do a better job screening next time?
Martin Q. Blank
3:04p, 3/21/24
His last two payments meaning 2 months? You should have had a better exit strategy. Once he knew you were keeping his deposit, there was no incentive for him to make payments or leave the house in good condition. I would report it.

"I am sympathetic to you breaking the lease, but it depends on how and when you leave."
NoahAg
4:39p, 3/21/24
In reply to Martin Q. Blank
Yeah we agreed he'd move out 2/1. He missed Dec and Jan payments. I knew at the time that once I had his deposit there was really no other leverage I had. Can't change the past now. Just trying to decide how much I want to "go after him."
Sea Speed
12:41a, 3/22/24
In reply to NoahAg
If you were his next landlord, wouldn't you want to know about this?
Troglodyte
9:32p, 3/24/24
If you are willing to write it off, there is no harm in turning it over to a collection agency to collect. You ding his credit so hopefully he doesn't do it again and you hold a hope ticket of recovering some.
NoahAg
11:59a, 3/25/24
In reply to Sea Speed
Sea Speed said:

If you were his next landlord, wouldn't you want to know about this?
Absolutely. Is it as simple as filling in some info on Experian's website?
schwack schwack
3:20p, 3/26/24
In reply to NoahAg
Quote:

Is it as simple as filling in some info on Experian's website?

Wondering the same. How do you report it?
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings