Real Estate
Sponsored by

Homeowner's Insurance Recs (Plano)

887 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Silverback
hijakeroo123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are under contract for a home in Plano (around 2,500 sq ft.) and are shopping for insurance. We are currently renting so this is our first time hitting the market; I know that prices have skyrocketed the past couple of years. Our auto policy is currently with State Farm and I received a homeowners quote for $4,800 earlier today, which works out to be approximately $400 a month. Meanwhile, our lender has estimated the home insurance cost to be approximately $225-250 per month, which is a pretty big disconnect. With this in mind, I have two questions:

1. Is the quote from State Farm abnormally high, or does this seem reasonable? It wouldn't surprise me if the lender's estimate is off, but I don't want to be drastically overpaying either.
2. Who have y'all had luck with shopping around with? Also, advice on any companies to avoid would be useful. My wife and I aren't necessarily trying to go with the absolute cheapest option, but rather someone who will reasonably follow through if a claim comes up.
3. Are brokers such as Liere worth it? What is the typical annual cost to have a broker shop policies?
_lefraud_
AG
State Farm is usually on the high end. Definitely shop it. It shouldn't cost you anything, but companies like Goosehead do charge a fee (ridiculous), so I'd avoid using them. Below is someone I've used in the past.

https://www.smithallen.com/

The biggest driver is going to be the age of the home (specifically, the roof). Your credit score and overall risk can play a factor as well. 1% deductible for wind/hail is what I'd look for, but lots of companies are pushing for 2%. While you probably have a decent auto rate with State Farm, whoever you reach out to should quote your auto too, just to see if it makes sense to switch.

Search independent insurance agencies in DFW and they'll be able to shop through Travelers, Liberty Mutual, Progressive, Safeco, etc.
Red Pear Felipe
Sponsor
AG
hijakeroo123 said:

3. Are brokers such as Liere worth it? What is the typical annual cost to have a broker shop policies?

Absolutely! I'd throw up if I had to pay $4800 for home insurance. Liere got me a combined policy with Allstate and I'm paying $1400 for my homeowner's policy.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear RealtyAustin Monthly
Big12Champ06
We've been happy with Liere for many years with rates as well as service. $4800/yr seems high for the property you described.
lobopride
I was actually thinking about starting my own thread because my wife runs a daycare out of our house and we can't find someone to even give us insurance in the DFW area.

The daycare has a $1 million dollar liability insurance policy if that matters.
I am a slave of Christ
hijakeroo123
AG
Update: Does anyone have experience with Progressive for homeowner's and auto coverage? That is the lowest quote by far that my broker has found, but it is around $1,400 lower so it almost seems too good to be true.
The Silverback
AG
hijakeroo123 said:

My wife and I are under contract for a home in Plano (around 2,500 sq ft.) and are shopping for insurance. We are currently renting so this is our first time hitting the market; I know that prices have skyrocketed the past couple of years. Our auto policy is currently with State Farm and I received a homeowners quote for $4,800 earlier today, which works out to be approximately $400 a month. Meanwhile, our lender has estimated the home insurance cost to be approximately $225-250 per month, which is a pretty big disconnect. With this in mind, I have two questions:

1. Is the quote from State Farm abnormally high, or does this seem reasonable? It wouldn't surprise me if the lender's estimate is off, but I don't want to be drastically overpaying either.
2. Who have y'all had luck with shopping around with? Also, advice on any companies to avoid would be useful. My wife and I aren't necessarily trying to go with the absolute cheapest option, but rather someone who will reasonably follow through if a claim comes up.
Hard to say if that is high or not due to a multitude of factors (year built, year of the roof, dwelling amount, endorsements, deductibles, etc. etc.).

But I can say not only is this this worst time I have ever seen with home insurance, other than coastal regions, you are in the worst area in the state.

That being said, I own an Independent Agency and more than happy to quote this to compare for you. My email is Matt@Dimitexas.com

Feel free to reach out anytime.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.