First Time Landlord - Lease Documents
1,037 Views | 9 Replies
Sugar City Ag
6:10p, 4/2/24
Recently bought a condo in College Station that eventually my kids will live in, along with roommates who will lease rooms. I have assumed the existing leases for the current tenants which looked to be something drafted by the previous owner.

Is there a standard lease agreement that covers the legal requirements for landlords which we can leverage for new tenants? Any advice or experiences here are welcomed.
Red Pear Luke (BCS)
Sponsor
6:43p, 4/2/24
In reply to Sugar City Ag
Howdy Sugar City!

You are correct. There is a standard lease you can be using for residential rentals, usually through the TAR. It'll need to be tweaked and adjusted depending upon if you want the tenants to cover things or have dogs, etc. I've had many clients use the lease form with their rental tenants and it covers a good base.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Link is here: http://content.har.com/FormManager/pdf/79.pdf

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Sugar City Ag
6:58p, 4/2/24
In reply to Red Pear Luke (BCS)
RPL,
Thanks for the quick response. I found that form while googling recently, but it gave me pause due to the language in the header stating " use of this form by persons who are not members of the Texas Association of Realtors is not authorized" inferred that there was some official channel one was to utilize in order to make use of this form.

Appreciate your help.

Gig 'em!
CS78
7:58p, 4/2/24
Section 33.

"G. Copyright: If an active REALTOR member of Texas REALTORS does not negotiate this lease as a party or for one of the parties, with or without assistance by an active member of the State Bar of Texas, this lease is voidable at will by Tenant."

Could be a little bit of an oops. Of course that and some other areas can be edited out easy enough.
Sugar City Ag
8:53p, 4/2/24
In reply to CS78
CS78 said:

Section 33.

"G. Copyright: If an active REALTOR member of Texas REALTORS does not negotiate this lease as a party or for one of the parties, with or without assistance by an active member of the State Bar of Texas, this lease is voidable at will by Tenant."

Could be a little bit of an oops. Of course that and some other areas can be edited out easy enough.
That is quite the Easter egg buried deep in the document!
yayaggies
9:09p, 4/2/24
In reply to CS78
Just delete that section from the document and move on.

The contract is between you and the tenet. If that section is not there it's not in the agreement.
Sugar City Ag
7:21a, 4/3/24
In reply to yayaggies
yayaggies said:

Just delete that section from the document and move on.

The contract is between you and the tenet. If that section is not there it's not in the agreement.

Agree - just noting that is a pretty substantial clause sat deep in the document.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
9:00a, 4/3/24
Beyond that bomb the Texas legislature has recently added some more fun Easter eggs for landlords. I've been a landlord since 2008 and if this is your first time leasing a home I would highly recommend connecting with a good local realtor like Luke to help you through the process. Seriously, you can get yourself in some good trouble if you don't do it correctly. Luke also has access to my lease addendum which covers about a dozen various items that the TAR lease does not cover. And when you see it, ask Luke/me how each of those items got added to the list. Haha!
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
NoahAg
4:14p, 4/3/24
In reply to CS78
CS78 said:

Section 33.

Meh, that's what white-out is for.
davido
3:31a, 4/4/24
In reply to Red Pear Realty
Good point. The lease is the foundation, but there's a lot more to the full packet. Owners and other addendums are important details and an ounce of prevention when it comes to protecting you.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings