740 Views | 8 Replies
KDubAg
2:25p, 4/3/24
Like title says…

TIA
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
7:13p, 4/3/24
What kind of problem are you looking for help with?
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
KDubAg
7:24p, 4/3/24
In reply to Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty said:

What kind of problem are you looking for help with?
Not for me but 99% sure it has to do with them inheriting their neighbors house. They were close to the neighbor and her last request or unofficial will was to leave her house with them. After she past her distant brother (who was never around) is trying to get his share.
regularjoe
8:07p, 4/3/24
You probably need a probate attorney over a real estate attorney. Did the deceased have a will? If not, the neighbor doesn't have any claim to the house.

I recommend contacting Sarah Clark: https://www.craincaton.com/attorneys/clark-sarah-sokol/
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
9:52p, 4/3/24
In reply to regularjoe
I'd agree with this.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
KDubAg
10:04p, 4/3/24
In reply to regularjoe
Not sure how official it was. Neighbor did leave a signed letter or "will" stating that the house and everything she had would be left to her neighbor. I don't know if there was an attorney or witness present. I want to say the situation was already resolved bc no friends/family came forward to contest her written letter. And now a brother came out of the woods to claim his share. I could be wrong.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
10:31p, 4/3/24
My dad died at 48 in another country as a resident of another state without a will and it caused a huge mess for my sisters and I. Get a will.
regularjoe
4:43a, 4/4/24
In reply to KDubAg
Your friends definitely need to talk to a probate attorney. The letter could be considered a valid will, but it will still need to be probated. The brother will likely contest the will. Handwritten wills are also called holographic wills.

Here is a good article from the State Bar: https://www.texasbar.com/AM/Template.cfm?Section=articles&Template=/CM/HTMLDisplay.cfm&ContentID=33860
KDubAg
9:19a, 4/4/24
Update in case you're wondering. The neighbor and deceased owner's brother situation was resolved last year. They did go through probate and settled with the brother of the neighbor. That brother got some cash and my friend kept the house. I didn't know it was settled.

He was asking for recs just to keep somebody on hand.

Thanks again for the recommendations. That Sarah Clark is easy on the eyes..
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 1 of 1
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings