Real Estate
Sponsored by

"Title insurance" needed on a cash sale for a lot in a well established subdivision?

3,947 Views | 48 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by jja79
HarleySpoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely get it.

Closed on both sides of about 100 real estate transactions in about two dozen states. Only ever had to file a claim one time:

Bought a distressed loan from a bank secured by an office building in South Carolina from a large bank. When you purchase a loan, the lenders title policy is ordinarily transferred to the buyer…as in this case. Turns out, the title company that insured the loan unknowingly hired the borrower (who was a real estate attorney) to do the title work. The attorney/borrower conveniently left out a $300,000 first lien from Bank of America that was not paid off at closing and wasn't on the schedule B of the policy. Bank that sold me the loan thought they had the first lien based on the title work/policy…but did not know the borrower did the work for the title company.

We filed the claim and the title insurance company paid us $300,000.

Furlock Bones
AG
It's the absurd cost in Texas that is the real problem.
jja79
AG
The lack of a free market for title insurance in Texas is the problem. The product is fine but the artificially high cost is unfair.
Furlock Bones
AG
jja79 said:

The lack of a free market for title insurance in Texas is the problem. The product is fine but the artificially high cost is unfair.
I'm fairly certain I've read there are several states that do not have a free market either and are still much cheaper than Texas. There was an article I read some time before Covid breaking down title insurance in Texas and comparing it to other states. It also talked about the actual title insurance payouts. Quite informative.
SteveBott
AG
Title insurance has around 90% profit margins. Other insurance products are about 40%. Ridiculous
Diggity
AG
We should open a title company Steve
jja79
AG
None of the states we do business in have title insurance costs as high as Texas. I believe it's already been laid out why that is.
Martin Cash
AG
SteveBott said:

Title insurance has around 90% profit margins. Other insurance products are about 40%. Ridiculous
How do you figure that? Premiums vs. claims? Does this take overhead into account? I don't think it does.
SteveBott
AG
This is somewhat dated info but applies. And yes I know the political position of the Observer

https://www.texasobserver.org/entitled-to-profit-in-texas-title-insurance-is-a-total-scam/

"In 2017, the latest year for which data is available, title companies sold $1.8 billion worth of policies, according to the Texas Department of Insurance (TDI). Of that, title companies retained $1.5 billion and paid $335 million over to their underwriters, the companies that actually compensate policyholders in the event of a claim. But according to TDI data, only about $24 million was needed to settle claims from title defects that year. In other words, for every dollar that the industry took in as revenue, they paid out little more than a penny to policyholders.
That isn't how insurance is supposed to work. Its economic purpose is to spread risk, distribute losses more evenly, and protect individuals from sudden shocks. Insurers rake in a big pile of money, but end up paying most of it out in the form of claims, only setting aside a percentage to cover the costs of doing business, and as profit.
Take property insurance, for instance. It is also relatively expensive in Texas, compared to other states, mostly on account of our violent weather. The loss ratio of companies like State Farm or Liberty Mutual ranges from 50 to 90 percent of their gross revenues. Of a $100 monthly premium, for example, $65 might get paid out to homeowners after fires or floods, in a typical year. The loss ratio on property insurance was 58 percent in 2018, according to TDI; for auto collision insurance, it was 57 percent"
jja79
AG
Can one of the title insurance guys explain why Texans are saddled with ridiculous title iinsurance costs?

I'm riding off into the sunset at the end of next month and actually no longer live in Texas but it's something I can't believe all the consumer advocate groups haven't addressed.
LoneStarBQ
AG
So Texas title insurance rates are set by the Texas Department of Insurance. I am an independent title insurance agent so my office keeps 85% of the premium and the Underwriter gets 15%. These rates are scrutinized by TDI every few years to make adjustments to the rate. We will soon be receiving a rate decrease according to the state. They want to make sure we aren't profiting too much. It's true that our rates are higher than competitive rate states in most places, but its my opinion that we provide a better product and better service. Now the reason the agent gets 85% is that we have more personnel than most title companies in other states. Half of my staff does research for the title insurance product, unlike other insurance products that just sell insurance. The other half of my staff is closing personnel, people who gather all of the costs and collect all of the fees and put them together on the closing statements. I lost money in 2023 and just make enough to get people paid this year.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
jja79
AG
How is the product and service better than it is in other states?

Honestly rereading your post leaves more questions than answers. You confirmed for many of us that the Texas title insurance business is a bad situation for consumers. The government has mandated a rate with an 85% gross margin. The actual cost of the insurance is only 15%. I've closed a few thousand transactions at Texas title companies and always thought it's the most bloated industry I know of. I've frequently asked how other states can have equal service and the same product and coverage at a fraction of the cost. Now I know why. Thanks for posting.
LoneStarBQ
AG
As I said, we provide a better product and better service because we can employ more people to accomplish this. You don't have to like it but I don't think you've proved it's a sham or over-inflated.
LoneStarBQ Fightin' Texas Aggie Band Class of 89 Midland, TX
jja79
AG
Not trying to be argumentative but I think my question was pretty straightforward but wasn't really answered as to how the product and service are better. Buyers in other states get the same service and coverage with less cost and I think that's what consumers are looking for.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.