Real Estate
Sponsored by

Texas Electric Rates

1,581 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by Teslag
DonaldFDraper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Working on my annual rate shopping. Bummed to see 30% increase from last year despite macro energy prices being mostly flat YoY.

Average monthly usage is up ~300 kWh YoY thanks to hotter summer, a pool, and a Tesla. 12 Months below.

I am using Texas Power Guide https://www.texaspowerguide.com/

Any one have suggests on finding something lower than ~13.8 ?

one MEEN Ag
AG
Plugging your data in, you have a non normal cost curve. Your highest month is May and not August, so that is throwing everything for a loop.

If those numbers are accurate, I would recommend dropping to a 3 month plan (10 cents) and rolling the dice on low natural gas prices finally suppressing electricity contract prices. I'm currently doing this.
ktownag08
AG
Wouldn't count on rates coming down.

Nat gas furures are only increasing...
one MEEN Ag
AG
ktownag08 said:

You realize NG prices are still below covid lows and WAHA is negative? Someone with an NGI subscription come and correct me if it finally went positive.
DonaldFDraper
AG
To clarify - the number are March 2023 - March 2024
Ragoo
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

ktownag08 said:

You realize NG prices are still below covid lows and WAHA is negative? Someone with an NGI subscription come and correct me if it finally went positive.
cheaper to burn residue but the state frowns at that.
ktownag08
AG
Realize that but electricity prices aren't coming down so OP can roll the dice, but 3 months from now won't look better...

Understand NG ridiculously low, but will be on the way up.
Sea Speed
AG
At least you get a choice. We bought in an energy area and ever since we moved in jts been a monthly BOHICA
PeekingDuck
AG
Traaaaaansitoooooorryyy
aTm2004
AG
Try Thigbe. I've been with them just over a year and have been happy. They seem to find rates I'm not able to find, or are not available to me.
FightinTAC08
AG
you aren't finding lower rates because they don't exist. as someone said above - go 3 month plan and hope price drop (they won't) or book the longest term plan you are comfortable with. my current process is to use 12 month plans - the 24-36 months plans are too high so even if 12 month plans increase the average rate across two 12 month plans is less than a single 24-36 month plan.

use https://powertochoose.org/ to shop the plans available - its the state's website. you might get a lower rate with the octopus EV plan since you have tesla but be prepared to have them require an app to track your usage and tesla exists.

This price disclosure is an example based on the usage levels shown above. (1) Failure to enroll an eligible electric vehicle (EV) in the Octopus Energy App, (2) Disconnecting your EV after enrollment for more than 24 hours, or (3) performing 5 or more Bump Charges during a Charge Period will result in the assessment of an Unconnected EV Fee of 3.49 per kWh.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Appreciate the commentary. I signed up for this 3 month plan from Constellation to get through the higher summer months.

Rolling the dice but 30% less than locking in for 12 months right now.

https://www.constellation.com/bin/residential/GetContractVersionPDF?versionNum=191856
one MEEN Ag
AG
Texaspowerguide's 3 month rates come with a 12 month expected value calculation. Basically if you play the hop along game every three months, what is the current total 12 month cost.

And at 10 cents all in for three months, the expected yearly equivalent is 11.2cents once you price in a summer peak price and a winter slow down. Thats showing a better deal than the 13.5cents 12 month deals that you see.

I would just sign up for a short while, kick the can down the road and play this game again in July.
Teslag
AG
I got a 9 cent 3 month plan a few weeks ago that goes into effect on May 5th. It will suck shopping for a new plan in August but at least I'll have the AC at 68 in July and June and give no F's
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.