Hardest course in the state?

5,934 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Stump93
turfaggie24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember The Cliffs being a hard course as well, worked there on the course in high school. In my opinion the scenery and vantage points there are very underrated in comparison to other "Hill Country" courses.
AgPrognosticator
AG
TPC is tough even playing from the "resort tips" and They never stretch that course out to its full length until the Texas Open.

Without high winds, it's actually not that bad. On a windy day, though -- it's dang near impossible to shoot a low score.

[This message has been edited by Agprognosticator (edited 4/22/2014 9:16p).]
bdenby
AG
You can hit it 10 feet off the fairway at the Stonebridge Dye Course and lose it in the fescue. Then you get it above the hole one some places and it is dead. Toughest I've played.

I found Oak Tree and Cordillera fair. Really enjoyed Traditions, but it was very wet and they had it playing pretty short from the one up.

I had many single digit friends come to Lufkin and play at Crown. Very few broke 90. Most weren't used to some many tall pine trees and fast greens.

Great thread.

agsalaska
AG
I need to play Crown Colony. I have always heard great things about it.

I am going to have to play Stonebriar Fazio course too. That one seems to be getting the most comments. It sounds like it is a monster.

I have played Wolfdancer and thought it was a pretty fun course but do not remember it being particularly difficult.

There was a comment about the length of Ramrock being 6940 yards. While this is true, it doesnt matter. I am not a big fan of courses that are only hard because they are long. Ram doesn't need length although even long hitters can try their drivers all they want. Merion is less than 7000 too. So is Wolf Creek in Nevada.
92TXAG
AG
ahhh, Wolf Creek...that doesn't even belong in the difficulty column 'cuz there just isn't any other course that can compare to it...one of a kind; you just can't get upset at blowing-up on any given hole there because of the flat-out awe factor

[This message has been edited by 92TXAG (edited 4/23/2014 6:41a).]
jonj101
I havent played Cliffs at Possum Kingdom or Ram Rock, but I'd like to.

As a high handicapper, Id have to say the TPC San Antonio course that the PGA even is played on is the hardest Ive done in the state. Just a little off the fairway and I was toast.

If we were talking individual holes, I would put #2 at Golfcrest up against any. I love that green and hate it at the same time.
agfan2013
AG
I've really enjoyed reading through the different opinions in this thread. I haven't played many of them but to agree with the guys saying the oaks course down at TPC San Antonio. I've played wolfdancer before but don't really remember it but I'll get to rprefresh my memory tomorrow afternoon so I might have to add that to my list of most difficult.

Bonus course that doesn't count since this thread is texas courses is diamond head golf course in Arkansas. Really challenging course with tons of elevation changes, blind shots, and more. They give you a cart with a GPS and you still are guessing on where to hit the ball a lot of times. My old man who can usually shoot in the 80s and a bad round is in the 90s quit keeping his score because he was in triple digits and was hitting the ball well. Fun but punishing course.
nickel
Haven't played most of the courses mentioned, but interesting thread. One course I have played, and liked was Wolfdancer. Wind obviously makes it harder but I think it's a fair course tee to green.

But when I played it the greens were very firm and very fast with some tough pins. I think I had four 3-putts, maybe even five (admittedly beer-induced). That's the teeth of the course from what I saw.

I look forward to playing it again, except looking to hit irons below the hole this time around.
nickel
double post

[This message has been edited by nickel (edited 4/23/2014 8:38a).]
dbtexasag05
I have not played it in years, but as a highschool freshman in El Paso we had a tournament at Coronado Country club and they had to throw out holes because the greens were so fast and the pin placements were unfair.

I 4 putted 18 from 4 feet and the fourth putt was a drained 25 footer.
Harry Stone
AG
This is tough because hardest course and course I just suck at are so subjective. I can typically play well at 7400 yard courses like redstone but absolutely choke on falcon point at under 6800 yards cause its pure target golf. Probably the same reason id rather play kiawah island and not mountain golf.
bdenby
AG
Alaska-
Definitely check out Crown Colony when you get a chance. It's not what it was in the 90's but still worthwhile.

Also, it's the Stonebridge Dye course apt hat has been mentioned. The Fazio at Stonebriar is one of the easier DFW courses I have played. Typical resort course, but always very well maintained and fun.
AgPrognosticator
AG
Good point Harry -- different courses fit different people's games.

Sheer length vs. tight layouts vs. tough greens ... for me, tough greens is the most dangerous course attribute -- I stink at putting

[This message has been edited by AgPrognosticator (edited 4/23/2014 8:04p).]
SLAB CITY AG
To those mentioning Traditions, we are talking about Traditions in CS right? Just didn't know if there was another CC with the name and wanted to clarify.
1208HawkTree
AG
Surprised nobody has mentioned the Palmer Course at La Cantera. Not much of that course fit my eye. It was a fun track, but tough as nails.
treetop flyer
Tpc San Antonio
Ram rock
La Pamilla
Frisco - Ag
AG
Was a member at the dye in McKinney. It is the toughest.

Was also a member at Cimmeron in Georgetown and it's not near as hard.
AgPrognosticator
AG
1208: Palmer course isn't and easy track, but it pales in comparison to at least three others that people are naming.

Fun course and generally in great condition, but certainly not one of the toughest in Texas.
Tceh Tard
Ramrock
The Cliffs
Newport Dunes (With Windy Conditions)
Redstone (Around Tournament Time from the Tournament Tees)
AG Custom
AG
Man great question. It really is subjective as it depends on your individual game and course lay-out. Does it fit your eye and shot shape? Is it long or more of a shot maker's course?

With my personal choice i would stick with one already mentioned a few times above:

1. Ram Rock - From the tips it is definitely more of a shot maker/placement course (although it can play long at times as well). I definitely did not have the best of course knowledge the first 2 times i played it. Gain course knowledge and you still have to deal with elevation changes (i mainly play in Houston), wind that always seems to be blowing and tough greens.

DOCAG79
AG
Dallas National hands down...end of conversation! When it opened, the slope was 156! No question the most difficult course that I have ever played with its length and incredibly difficult greens.
fordag4
AG
Just finished Pete Dye Stonbridge in this 30 mph wind. Was 3 over thru 11 and then got stupid fk kicks. Terrible. Finshed with few more doubles and a triple. Just wasnt very fun if you missed on any shot really.
Coppell97
AG
quote:
Nicklaus Course at Carlton Woods from the very back. Played a US Open Qualifier there a long time ago and it was awful. USGA pins on that course....just brutal.

I got my only hole in one on #12 on this course. Great course.
Matsui
AG
Tpc sa oaks from tips
Elmo Lincoln
AG
TPC SA (tips)
Stonebridge CC Dye Course

TPC SA is stupid long with vicious fairway bunkers. Stonebridge is just mercilessly punitive.

Haven't played Ram Rock.
TMfrisco
AG
Never thought Ram Rock was near as bad as I had heard.
The Cliffs, when it opened was really hard. I think it is under 7000 from the tips so equipment has made it a little easier, but you could hit a great shot and still run into a canyon.
Stonebridge Dye from the wrong tees is really hard if they leave the fescue up.
Dallas National from the back is hard as is Craig Ranch. From the right tees they aren't so bad.
I think ACC is much like The Cliffs - equipment has made it not quite as hard as it used to be.
Traditions is hard.

Haven't played much in Houston at all.
Lukeno
AG
Ramrock
Redstone (pre-tournament)
Traditions
Sterling CC (from the tips)
ftaggie09
AG
quote:
Whispering Pines- Spirit Tees

Whispering Pines is tough from any tee but from the Spirit Tees (tips) it's easily the hardest course I've ever played.
bennycoop9882
The toughest course is the Ram Rock course as a high school golfer in the late 1990s with a titleist professional ball that curved more and less forgiving equipment. lots of good (or think they are good) golfers shooting in the 90s and having no idea how anyone could play that course.

I'd second the palmer at la cantera because I played it in a 15-20 mph wind from the tips. Not recommended. I could see it being playable in less severe wind.

snave
AG
For those of you who have played it, how does Escondido in Horseshoe Bay compare to the tough courses that have been mentioned on this thread? I haven't played most of the ones mentioned but the fescue at Escondido chewed me up.
Westicles
AG
It's been a few years since I've played Escondido but it didn't seem that hard to me. From what I remember it wasn't as unforgiving around the greens as some of the courses mentioned. I may be wrong through.

quote:
ElCheAg
posted 11:14a, 04/22/14

The most difficult that I have played have been:

Falcon Point (from the tips)

I'm going to have to throw this one back out there. While it's not the most intimidating course or even the hardest course on the surface, it manages to kick my arse every-single-time. It's the kind of course where you can make a good shot and end up being severely penalized by a pompous bush or hill you can't get over. Sometimes you can miss your shot by 50 yards and be better off than missing it by 5 yards. It never ceases to piss me off.
arson keg
The Dye course in McKinney

What a beast
t - cam
AG
Very surprised Traditions has shown up on this list. While it can be difficult when the wind is blowing there just isn't a ton of trouble on that course.

Agree with:
Ram Rock
Stonebridge (Dye Course)
The Cliffs
and a windy Newport Dunes.
JP_Losman
AG
Bear creek presidents. It's so narrow and the greens are so slick.
MarkPro
quote:
Very surprised Traditions has shown up on this list. While it can be difficult when the wind is blowing there just isn't a ton of trouble on that course.

You must play a different Traditions course than the one I play. Forced carries on all but 4/5 holes always spell trouble in my opinion.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.