Ryder Cup current standings

7,768 Views | 93 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by 98Ag99Grad
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
We don't know what criteria Tom will use to evaluate Tiger.

My point is that with no competitive golf scheduled, the only criteria available are faith criteria. There is no substitute. He's skipping the finale this week and isn't qualifid for the Fedex Cup playoffs that follow.

And Tiger's played like **** for much longer than last week. He's played like **** ever since he came back.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 8/12/2014 3:14p).]
Deluxe
AG
quote:
And Tiger's played like **** for much longer than last week. He's played like **** ever since he came back.

No doubt about it

[This message has been edited by Deluxe (edited 8/12/2014 3:11p).]
Unemployed
AG
Tiger has too much pride (and some will say it's arrogance) to tell Tom that he doesn't want to be on the team because he's not playing well.

And I'm sure that there are people with a higher pay grade than Watson that wants Watson to select Tiger. The only way Watson will not select Tiger is if he's not healthy. It won't be based on his playing form.

If Tiger wasn't so polarizing, I don't think people would have a problem with him being on the team.
DannyDuberstein
AG
That may be true for some. For me, I don't want to see a US player that has been hurt most of the year, has been unable to play much of the year, and has been playing terrible golf when they did play on the team, regardless of his name. Tiger could be Ned Flanders, for all I care. I just haven't seen him play the calibur of golf or appear to be a guy that could hold up in a 36-36-18 format that I'd want on the US team.

[This message has been edited by DannyDuberstein (edited 8/12/2014 3:39p).]
Sean_Jones
If he does get selected obviously he is not going to play 36-36-18. More like 18-18-18 or 18-0-18. As earlier posters have stated Id rather have an 80% healthy Tiger play those 2 or 3 matches than Brendon Todd or Ryan Moore.
bagger05
AG
Certainly someone at the PGA of America is going to say "we're going to get our heads kicked in no matter what, so we may as well get the ratings that Tiger will bring."
The D
AG
Fowler is most likely our best player right now, and the only one I believe could take down Rory, Rose or Sergio is the pressure is on the line. And I dont think its close.

But yeah, hes overrated
Deluxe
AG
Keep in mind the "Fowler is overrated" comments were made before the British Open.
jonj101
I could be wrong, but telling Tiger "No, you cant play on this team," could result in in a few amazing years for a golf fan.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
Keep in mind the "Fowler is overrated" comments were made before the British Open.

But after top 5's in consecutive Majors?
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:
I could be wrong, but telling Tiger "No, you cant play on this team," could result in in a few amazing years for a golf fan.

As a Tiger fan I would want nothing more than the chip on his shoulder to grow. Don't know if not making a Ryder cup does it though. This back-to-back major run by Rory may help though.

Wishful thinking
DannyDuberstein
AG
Motivation is the only thing Tiger does not lack. He needs health, a new coach, and to quit driving the ball all over the course.
lazuras_dc
AG
quote:
Rickie Fowler – Think he’s one of the most overrated players out there. Just can’t ever seem to put it together

lol is this guy for real
98Ag99Grad
AG
I'd take Keegan, Ryan Moore, and Ryan Palmer. Palmer was mentioned the other day on GC as a likely pick due to his play at PGA and likability. Tiger's play does not warrant a pick.
Ag_07
AG
Alright I'll eat crow on the Fowler take. I was wrong. He's shown quite a bit and proved himself since I typed that.

However, how long can you be considered elite and top-notch with 2 wins in your career? He's playing some great golf right now but these people who keep lumping him in with Rory as the one of the next great golfers of the generation need to slow their role a bit.
Deluxe
AG
In your defense ag07, Fowler was never really in contention to win the first two majors this year, despite finishing top five.
Unemployed
AG
quote:
However, how long can you be considered elite and top-notch with 2 wins in your career? He's playing some great golf right now but these people who keep lumping him in with Rory as the one of the next great golfers of the generation need to slow their role a bit.

I don't think anybody has said that Fowler is elite. He has the potential to be great, though.
Ag_07
AG
Not really anyone on this thread but the national media types and even broadcasters last weekend kept saying it.

I think one even said that Rory/Rickie is looking like the Tiger/Phil rivalry.
Unemployed
AG
Tiger removed himself from consideration.

quote:
I've been told by my doctors and trainer that my back muscles need to be rehabilitated and healed. They've advised me not to play or practice now. I was fortunate that my recent back injury was not related to my surgery and was muscular only.

I have already spoken to Tom [Watson] about the Ryder Cup, and while I greatly appreciate his thinking about me for a possible captain's pick, I took myself out of consideration. The U.S. team and the Ryder Cup mean too much to me not to be able to give it my best. I'll be cheering for the U.S. team. I think we have an outstanding squad going into the matches.
I plan to return to competition at my World Challenge tournament at Isleworth in Orlando, Florida, Dec. 1-7. It's an event that's important to me and my foundation, and it will be exciting to be playing again.

[This message has been edited by RealTalk (edited 8/13/2014 7:03p).]

[This message has been edited by RealTalk (edited 8/13/2014 7:03p).]
TexAgs Legend
quote:
Tiger removed himself from consideration.

Wasn't going to make the cut so he withdrew. Suprising.
Unemployed
AG
nm

[This message has been edited by RealTalk (edited 8/13/2014 7:50p).]
jj9000
AG
quote:

Elite? Huh? Who said anything about elite players and Match Play?

The subject of the thread is the Ryder Cup.

With that in mind, I'd march Rickie out against any of the Euros (Rory included).

Take a look Rickie's 2014 Accenture Match Play results:

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/accenture-match-play-championship/leaderboard.html

Deluxe
AG
Hopefully he'll be healthy for the 2016, 2018, 2020, 2022 and 2024 Ryder Cups. We need Tiger.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Glad he pulled out for Watson's sake. Based on play and health, he didn't deserve a spot but Watson would still take criticism if he left him off, especially if one of his picks played like crap. At least he doesn't have to worry about that now.
Sean_Jones
I think Mahan is a Captain's pick after that victory. Probably Mahan, Keegan and Dufner are the picks. If Dufner can't play because of his injury then Sneds as long as he plays decent next week.
Deluxe
AG
I'd love to see Horschel win today and sneak in. He's the kind of young, fiery player that I want on the team.

Keegan + Horschel + Watson's preferred veteran (Haas, Mahan, Snedeker or Simpson) would be my ideal case. I don't think Horschel could be justified if he doesn't actually win this week though. Second or third place won't do it.
Sean_Jones
I think Sneds is out after missing the last 2 cuts and he won't be playing the last 2 playoff events. Palmer Webb and Haas could all make it with a win this week. Keegan is in for sure.
Deluxe
AG
Agreed. I thought Sneds was in good position after the Wyndham and I think his personal relationship with Watson will help, but at the end of the day, I think there's better options.

Obviously there's plenty of blame to go around for the 2012 disaster, but Sned's errant drive on 18 in Friday morning foursomes (when he and Furyk were all square with McIlroy/McDowell) led to a full point for the Euros. He also got pasted on Sunday by Paul Lawrie, who was 0-2 in the matches up until that point.
98Ag99Grad
AG
What about Streelman? Guy can make birdies in bunches.
Deluxe
AG
Streelman, Henley and Kirk may have played themselves into the mix today. Like Horschel though, I think one of them would have to win to get serious consideration.
Sean_Jones
Don't think any of those guys are in even with a win.

So is Dufner out for sure?
Deluxe
AG
Not 100% sure on Dufner.

Woodland picked a good day to shoot a 7-under 29 on the front. Apparently Gleneagles favors the long, high ball hitters.

I'd still like to see Henley or Horschel on the squad. Both seem to have the right temperament and attitude for the Ryder Cup. Obviously neither has played on an international team as a pro, but I'm pretty sure both were Walker Cuppers. If Henley wins today, it would be his third win since the beginning of 2013.
Deluxe
AG
So much for my Henley and Horschel picks.

Horschel just chunked it in the hazard on 18 when he needed birdie to tie. Was in perfect shape off the tee too.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Euro picks are in- Poulter, Gallacher, and Westwood. Westwood a mild surprise do to play this year but he has a ton of experience.
jj9000
AG
I get tired of hearing how incredible IJP is in Match Play.

Would love to see Fowler mow him down again head-to-head.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.