Does Tom select Tiger?

1,692 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by Bigderk21
aggiedent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I say no.
Aggie369
AG
He shouldnt
GIF Reactor
AG
No
stick93
AG
I say no as well. But he will be under a huge amount of pressure to take him for tv purposes. Tiger did him no favors with his comments yesterday. Watson can't use the "there are healthier players available" alibi now.
Ag_07
AG
I say no but I could see why he would. Hard to pass up one of the greatest players of all time.

I think if does he'd be the last guy in. He'd have to look at his pairings and take him only if he can pair him with somebody who can carry the load and match well with him. He can't be depended on to carry the load.

I would tell him he gets a spot if he leaves his driver at home.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Not based on his play this year. It will be really interesting to see how he plays at Firestone, a course he has owned. If he still struggles I don't see how you pick him, unless he wins the PGA of course.
Prior22
AG
If we're talking at this very moment, I don't think so. But if he were to somehow win before Watson has to finalize the team — I highly doubt that happens — I'd probably take him. The U.S. team is going to get drilled on foreign soil anyway, so it won't matter if he makes or misses out.
aggiedent
AG
I think the captains picks need to be players who are playing well right now. The exception being an Ian Poulter type guy who can play mediocre for 2 years then comes alive every Ryder Cup. Tiger is not playing well now & Tiger's Ryder Cup record is 13-17-3.
agsalaska
AG
Toughest captain decision in my lifetime for sure.

I would have trouble not taking him.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
If he doesn't, the rest of the tour better watch out. Being omitted could be the factor that gets him going again.
Unemployed
AG
I doubt it unless Tiger wins the PGA Championship.

Watson already said if Tiger is not playing well, he's not going to pick him.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Tell him to leave the driver home and take him.
Aggie1391
If he wins a tournament from now till then, I think he gets picked. If not, he won't get picked and doesn't deserve to be
tommeehawk7
I want us to win the Cup back without Tiger.Don't pick him Thomas
HouAggie
AG
I think he'll be picked. Not saying he should be, but I think he will be.

I think his upside is better than anyone else eligible for a captain's pick. His downside probably isn't any worse. And he likely gives the USA team some confidence by having him on the squad.
watty
AG
quote:
Tiger did him no favors with his comments yesterday.

What did he say?
jonj101
Reasons I wouldnt:

1) He isnt playing his best consistently at the moment.

2) His Ryder record isnt all that stunning

3) In general Im not a fan of picks anyway. Take the guys who have been playing the best, and try to strategically match them.

Im hoping he doesnt get picked because:

1)I hoping it will have a tremendous impact on his mindest for 2015. That would be the first time I could recall that the golf world will be telling Tiger "Hey, we dont need you bud - there are better people playing our sport." I would hope that would lighten that competitive fire in him, which would produce another 3-5 wins and maybe a major.

2) (related to the 1st) Even when he missed the Masters this year, going into it there was so much discussion around him not being there because of injury. But if he were deliberately left out, once the media gets over the initial reaction to the announcement, they would be more inclined to focus on the actual Ryder Cup, and not Tiger in the faulty rain gear putting on his hoodie. The American chances are not looking hopeful this year, and even if its a bad outcome, him being there would have little impact I think.
BreNayPop
AG
Leave tiger off and get trounced and the media will blame tom. Put tiger and and lose and the media will blame tiger.

I hope Tom leaves him off for tiger's sake, but I don't see that happening.
stick93
AG
Watty, it was no big deal really. He just said that he wants to play and that he deserves a spot if he had a pick. I guess my point was that the heat is gonna be on Watson to pick him as it is and I wish Tiger hadn't phrased it the way he did. He's been less than stellar since coming back from injury and he should have answered honestly: I would love to be on the team but let's see how the next few weeks go.
92TXAG
AG
Great question...I love questions that stir both logic & emotion. It's always fun reading the responses...

Logically, it's really simple:

1.) Tiger makes the FedEx playoffs and Tom picks him

2.) Tiger doesn't qualify for the FedEx, then Tiger watches like the rest of us

tommeehawk7
The only way I would pick Tiger is if you had to have one , two man "nerd" team. I would take Tiger and pair him up with Keegan Bradley.
Ag_07
AG
^

Say what?? Once again you make no sense and contribute nothing to the conversation.

Just please put the mouse down and step slowly away from your keyboard.
USGA77
AG
PGA of America will insist that Watson takes him, if Tiger is physically able to play. For no other reason than TV ratings alone, which drives $$$ the network pays the PGA of America for broadcast rights. Ryder Cup is the PGA of America's cash cow, and they are all about maximizing the revenue from it.

Tiger will get picked if he misses every cut between now and selection time. Only reason he won't is if he is injured.

Frank Chirkinian, late producer of CBS golf telecasts, reacting to criticism that he showed too much Tiger when he's out of contention: (quote edited to be G rated) "people would rather see Tiger scratch his nose and finish last than watch somebody else make the winning putt."

I hope I'm wrong. I personally think all 12 guys on both sides should earn their way on to the team. If it was truly a merit-based team competition, and not a made-for-TV event, there would be no captain's picks. But that's not the way big time golf works. Even the USGA and R&A can issue special exemptions into their Open championships. And I'm not necessarily throwing stones at the PGA of America--if for some reason Tiger was not exempt into the U.S. Open, you can bet the USGA would be issuing him a special exemption.
tommeehawk7
Ag_07 , okay my serious take. Watson should only take tiger if he's playing well , real well.The euros are not intimidated by tiger one bit , and I don't think most of the american players really like him.So unless he's playing great , no dice.
aggiedent
AG
quote:
Frank Chirkinian, late producer of CBS golf telecasts, reacting to criticism that he showed too much Tiger when he's out of contention: (quote edited to be G rated) "people would rather see Tiger scratch his nose and finish last than watch somebody else make the winning putt."

I noticed during the Open that when he collapsed on Friday, they hardly showed him at all during the weekend. I'm starting to wonder if that "scratch his nose" analogy is true any more.

He's no longer a young guy. The kids you see at tournaments are all wearing Ricky Fowler (or similar) gear. It's been almost a decade since he won a major. Times are changing.
BarryProfit
quote:
I don't think most of the american players really like him.

That is not true, a year or two ago SI (I think) did a anonymous survey of tour players, Tiger was one of the most popular, Phil of course was the run away leader for least popular.
Deluxe
AG
Some may disagree, but I think healthy Tiger still deserves the benefit of the doubt to some extent. I think Tom will take him if he finishes top 3 at the Bridgestone or PGA Championship, or qualifies for the FedEx Cup playoffs and posts a few solid finishes (top 10-20).

Assuming he does neither (which I think is more likely at this point), I would pick him if he'd do the following:

1) Play 1-2 Euro Tour events in lieu of the FedEx Cup to keep his game in shape.

2) Commit to taking one of the young guys on the team under his wing (Spieth would be a great candidate). It's time Tiger taking on a veteran mentor role for the next generation.
AgPrognosticator
AG
If Tiger gets two top 10's, then Watson absolutely picks Tiger.

If Tiger gets two top 25's, then Watson absolutely still picks Tiger.

Only way I can see Watson passing on Tiger is if he misses the cut at the next two.
BarryProfit
If tiger isn't playing well I doubt he puts Watson in the position to have to pass on him.
LeFraud
The US will be the underdog, and with it being play on foreign soil, I could see tiger being left home. With that said, unless tiger has a MC and/or a very poor showing at Firestone and/or Vahalla, he will be selected. I doubt Watson wants to be the guy that left Tiger off the team. Let's see how it shakes out, but I'm taking Tiger over Na, Reed, or some other would be rookie.
Sean_Jones
There is no cut at the Bridgestone.

Right now the people he is competing with for a captains pick is Phil, Keegan, Reed and Simpson. I think Phil and Keegan both get picked and team up together because they played so well together last time. Tiger probably gets picked, but I agree he needs to play a couple Euro tour tourneys if he doesn't make the Fedex Cup.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Agree with the posts above. If he looks good at the next few events, he gets picked. And the spin is "he's good enough to have qualified if not for the time he missed".
gravy97
AG
Another thing to consider... the doubles and triples that got tiger at the Open... are simply a lost hole and much easier to recover from in match play. He showed he could make some birdies... I think he's on the team.
Bud Fox
Tom should leave it up to Tiger.

And say: if the greatest player in the world thinks he can help us, then we certainly welcome his help.
Deluxe
AG
IIRC, Couples made Tiger play a few offseason events before the 2011 Presidents Cup to make sure he re-gained his form.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.