Sneak on to Augusta and play Monday after the Masters

2,729 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by aginlakeway
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Do you know anyone who pulled this off?

I do... a prominent attorney and a club pro at a prominent resort today... They did this in their 20's in early 90's.

It's an amazing story yet unpublished due to legal ramifications. My hands were sweating and heart palpitated listening to it.

Sure, some distingushed guests and a group of volunteers to get to play on Monday (I've heard) but these two were not invited.
Yesterday
AG
I read a story of a guy who snuck on, played a few holes and then snuck out. I thought about it as a younger man but wouldn't risk it these days. I'm just hoping I know someone who can get me on one day. We'll see.
schwabbin
AG
Sideline guy could prob pull it off.

Also, I believe there is a media draw for the Monday after.
SweaterVest
AG
I read an article in a golf magazine years ago about a guy that snuck on to a bunch of famous courses. I'll have to try to find it.
stick93
AG
I listen to a podcast called From the Jingweeds. It's not really worth listening to but this week they had a guy on who grew up in Boston. There is a muni literally right beside The Country Club in Brookline. There was a kid in their group who cut a gap in the fence at the corner of the property(hedges of some sort on the $$ side). They would slip through and play. They still call it Charles' Corner in honor of him.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Augusta CC is right behind Amen Corner. I bet it
wouldn't be hard to find your way in from there and play 13-16 and then back over to play 11-12.
Famous Shoes
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

CDo you know anyone who pulled this off?

I do... a prominent attorney and a club pro at a prominent resort today... They did this in their 20's in early 90's.

It's an amazing story yet unpublished due to legal ramifications. My hands were sweating and heart palpitated listening to it.

Sure, some distingushed guests and a group of volunteers to get to play on Monday (I've heard) but these two were not invited.
I love this kind of stuff and have no idea if it's ever happened but I was lucky enough to get tickets for last year on Thursday. We walked the course twice and my best bet to sneak on would have to be somewhere near 5 tee! It's right on the perimeter and there's a lot of trees and the parking lot off of Berckmans is right there so there's my plan I guess!
AggieDruggist89
AG
They took 2 caddies and started on 10th hole. Played behind Johnny millers group and cut in front of Patty Sheehan and her family.

Paired up with then head of R&A.

Then played the front nine including the starter announcing their names.
AggieDruggist89
AG
schwabbin said:

Sideline guy could prob pull it off.

Also, I believe there is a media draw for the Monday after.

Media draw is how he got the idea to sneak on as he met a media guy from Arkansas who had the pass to play on Monday. He offered to caddy for the media guy and pay him but the media guy turned him down. Then my friend realized the Monday pass was identical to his 4 day pass.

This interaction alone is a story in itself as it took place at the local Hooters.
Just an Ag
AG
I've done it... twice. I can't disclose any details. Legal ramifications and all that stuff.
AggieDruggist89
EKUAg
AG
Press corps usually plays there the Monday after.
BarryProfit
Everything in Augusta happens at Hooters or T Bonz
tlfw378
AG
Playing a golf round on Augusta National would be the greatest golf day ever. Playing it under the conditions that if caught I would be relocated to Siberia never to be heard from again would be terrifying....not sure I would pull enjoy the experience.
schwabbin
AG
Just going to a practice round a couple years ago was the greatest golf day ever for me.
PJYoung
AG
I know a guy who played it thanks to his dad's position as head of a prominent organization.

He said two matching vans (I forget if it was some other kind of vehicle now) from Augusta National met them at the airport even though only one was needed. He assumed the 2nd one was there as a backup in case of mechanical failure. He was instructed to remain within eyesight distance of his host and under no circumstances talk to any members of Augusta unless they talked to him first.

And one of his two rounds was unfortunately rained out. I did not feel bad for him.

AggieDruggist89
AG
TTT

Today marks the 30th year anniversary of this legendary tale.

This story will get told publicly, one day.
aginlakeway
AG
I won the media lottery in 1994 and played on that Monday. It would not have been that hard to sneak on. But I did need to show my letter allowing me to play to the starter. Actually I had to show it to even park on property. I still have that letter framed and on the wall in my home office.
AggieDruggist89
AG
aginlakeway said:

I won the media lottery in 1994 and played on that Monday. It would not have been that hard to sneak on. But I did need to show my letter allowing me to play to the starter. Actually I had to show it to even park on property. I still have that letter framed and on the wall in my home office.

Did you used to write for dem gazette (Arkansas)?
Kansas Kid
Charles Howell has snuck on to Augusta.

https://golf.com/news/pro-sneaking-augusta-national-putting-12th-green/?amp=1
aginlakeway
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

aginlakeway said:

Did you used to write for dem gazette (Arkansas)?

I did not.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.