SIAP - Tips for Byron Nelson

1,378 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by fightinags2013
10andBOUNCE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got a couple GA tickets from work and taking my 8yo son who is learning to golf himself. Any tips for our visit tomorrow? Plan to park at the McKinney ISD lot and get shuttled in. TIA!
Mr. Frodo
AG
With an 8 year old that is learning golf … I say focus on fun vs watching a lot of golf … bring or buy lots of snacks.

I like to follow a group for a while and post up and watch somewhere. Par threes are good for posting up as you see them play an entire hole. There is a driveable par 4 on the back that might be a fun place to post up close to the green.

Binoculars might be handy.

A trip to the practice green or range can be fun to watch a lot of different guys.

Make sure you have pairings and tee times.

Look at a map of the place on google and chart a course and get some bearings.

Would recommend you stay on the east side of the creek and do a down and back or loop from your drop off and pick up point.

Have fun. Watch weather.
JYDog90
AG
Mr. Frodo said:

With an 8 year old that is learning golf … I say focus on fun vs watching a lot of golf … bring or buy lots of snacks.

I like to follow a group for a while and post up and watch somewhere. Par threes are good for posting up as you see them play an entire hole. There is a driveable par 4 on the back that might be a fun place to post up close to the green.

Binoculars might be handy.

A trip to the practice green or range can be fun to watch a lot of different guys.

Make sure you have pairings and tee times.

Look at a map of the place on google and chart a course and get some bearings.

Would recommend you stay on the east side of the creek and do a down and back or loop from your drop off and pick up point.

Have fun. Watch weather.

There's some good advice here. With an 8 yr old I would also recommend posting up on a green where you can put him right along the ropes from where they leave the green and walk to the next tee. That will give him some opportunities to get some fist bumps from players and maybe a golf ball or two. Have fun!
Tee
AG
Don't know if this is still the practice today, but the players used to change balls every three holes, unless ball scuffed, etc.. The advice about finding spot near player exit from green is good. If every three hole ball changing routine still exists, then the 3rd, 6th, etc. greens would be good choices.
Matsui
AG
Yes be right next to the green exits so you could get a ball or offer a high five
Sorrell Booke
You talkin bout The Nellie?
10andBOUNCE
AG
Thanks all for the suggestions! Had a good day overall. Ended up pretty warm and muggy so it wasn't the most comfortable weather. Kiddo got 2 balls - one from DJ Trahan from 18th tee and one from Kyle Westmoreland on the 14th green.
fightinags2013
AG
Anyone have any tips for Parking nearby and Uber-ing?
The McKinney ISD lot with the shuttle is a good 10 minutes in the wrong direction for me coming from Lewisville.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.