LIV Golf 2024
18,072 Views | 195 Replies
class of 03
4:24p, 4/5/24
In reply to Bunk Moreland
So excited about AK!

Excited about Dufner next at LIV! They both were good in 2011 so surely Yasir will grab him next.

class of 03
5:23p, 4/5/24
Bunk, you think Phil's HyFlyers will put it together for the weekend?
Bunk Moreland
2:01p, 4/7/24
Quite the international leader board + Gooch and Wolff.

Sergio playing good golf. Kim having an awful weekend. +16 with 4 to play.
98Ag99Grad
4:43p, 4/7/24
2 good finishes going on right now
Bunk Moreland
5:11p, 4/7/24
In reply to 98Ag99Grad
98Ag99Grad said:

2 good finishes going on right now

Double playoffs after that Sergio choke
98Ag99Grad
5:13p, 4/7/24
Yeah that was a really poor stroke
Bunk Moreland
5:33p, 4/7/24
Going to a 2nd
98Ag99Grad
5:44p, 4/7/24
And now Sergio dumps it in the water from the middle of the fairway
Poot
6:00p, 4/7/24
And then I think Sergio got sprayed with champagne by Brendan Grace and it went in his eyes… injury to insult.
98Ag99Grad
6:03p, 4/7/24
In reply to Poot
He was mad. I think it sprayed his wife and daughter too
Poot
6:05p, 4/7/24
In reply to 98Ag99Grad
Thought I saw that too… Golf, but wetter.
Bunk Moreland
6:12p, 4/7/24
In reply to Poot
That was hilarious
Bunk Moreland
9:21a, 4/8/24

The road map has been trending this way for some time. The move to 72 holes would be a good decision as well for quicker unification.
98Ag99Grad
11:30a, 4/8/24
I'd be shocked if US players want to travel the world playing a world tour. Euros are used to it from the DP Tour but Americans are spoiled in that regard.
AustinCountyAg
11:54a, 4/8/24
In reply to 98Ag99Grad
98Ag99Grad said:

I'd be shocked if US players want to travel the world playing a world tour. Euros are used to it from the DP Tour but Americans are spoiled in that regard.
well guaranteed 7 or 8 figure salaries would ease them burden for those against it I am sure.
AustinCountyAg
5:54p, 4/15/24
https://www.sbnation.com/2024/4/15/24131426/rory-mcilroy-liv-golf-rumors-swirl-850-million

I can believe it. He makes a **** ton of cash and I guarantee if he goes the figure out the merger ASAP. He'd actually be dumb not to go at this point.
zgolfz85
6:12p, 4/15/24
In reply to AustinCountyAg
AustinCountyAg said:

https://www.sbnation.com/2024/4/15/24131426/rory-mcilroy-liv-golf-rumors-swirl-850-million

I can believe it. He makes a **** ton of cash and I guarantee if he goes the figure out the merger ASAP. He'd actually be dumb not to go at this point.

I hope he does and then merges asap. This **** is unsustainable and as much as I was hoping LIV would be a viable product, it's just not
Bunk Moreland
7:50p, 4/15/24
I won't believe the rory stuff until I see it. He's been so adamantly opposed.
98Ag99Grad
8:03p, 4/15/24
I never thought Rahm would go either but there he is. This would be nuts.
2wealfth Man
9:02p, 4/15/24
get ready for lots of tournaments in far flung time zones if the F1 model comes to pass. Nothing like watching a 2am Saturday tee time for the final pairing
98Ag99Grad
9:29p, 4/15/24

bagger05
9:44p, 4/15/24
Bunk Moreland said:

I won't believe the rory stuff until I see it. He's been so adamantly opposed.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go.

He was the banner boy for the PGAT then they secretly made a deal. And Jay Monahan - who was the biggest obstacle to fending this whole thing off at the get go and seems to have been the one who was begging the players like Rory to stand strong - looks likely to clean up in the new world. Guess that Saudi money isn't so dirty after all, is it Jay? I wonder what the 9/11 families have to say on the matter.

Point being, Rory has stood firm and gotten nothing to show for it. I think he will rationalize it by saying what everyone wants is reunification and him leaving is the best way to speed that along. And that's probably true, but it will be about the money plus a middle finger to Monahan.

Just a theory.
AustinCountyAg
9:50p, 4/15/24
In reply to bagger05
Exactly. I'd love to see him go. Let LIV be the big boys and let them play once a month or so. PGAT can be the AAA if you will. Win your way onto LIV and let them demote whoever is sucking it up there.

If anything I can see him do it just to give jay the middle finger for making him look like a complete puppet the past few years.
71 jock
9:51p, 4/15/24
If that number is real he'd be an idiot not to take it.
class of 03
10:05p, 4/15/24
Talk about out of mind, playing once a month? I thought we wanted more people interested.
aggiebonzo
10:21p, 4/15/24
Rory should ask for a 2% stake in Caffeine TV since more people are watching LIV than NFL games on an app nobody has ever heard of!
HeyAbbott
11:39p, 4/15/24

@jamiecweir , a reporter close to Rory McIlroy says reports by CityAM that state Rory is potentially closing in on a $850M deal with LIV Golf are "complete nonsense."
DannyDuberstein
3:09a, 4/16/24
AustinCountyAg said:

Exactly. I'd love to see him go. Let LIV be the big boys and let them play once a month or so. PGAT can be the AAA if you will. Win your way onto LIV and let them demote whoever is sucking it up there.

If anything I can see him do it just to give jay the middle finger for making him look like a complete puppet the past few years.

This is not a golf fan. Once a month? ****ing ridiculous.
AustinCountyAg
5:16a, 4/16/24
In reply to DannyDuberstein
DannyDuberstein said:

AustinCountyAg said:

This is not a golf fan. Once a month? ****ing ridiculous.
"once a month or so". Combine that with a major for the next three months since they already played this months, plus Ryder cup/president cup at the end of the summer, yes that's about the golf season for a lot of the big boys. Two or three(at most) tournaments per month until the fall where it's drops off even less.

I'm quite a big golf fan actually, and would love to get the big guys playing more frequently together.
Quinn
8:05a, 4/16/24
DannyDuberstein
9:39a, 4/16/24
Most of the "big boys" are playing about two dozen events + RC/PC. Scheffler played 23 events + RC + CJ. That isn't "about once a month".

If you want to redefine "about once a month" to "at least twice and oftentimes 3X for 9 months of the year", then that's different and something i'd be good with
JCA1
9:50a, 4/16/24
While they have made a concerted effort to coordinate schedules, the notion that the big boys didn't play enough together to the point that professional golf needed to be blown up just isn't accurate. Go pull up leaderboards from before all of this went down and the bigger events (Farmers, WM, Bay Hill, Memorial, Players, etc.) attracted the vast majority of the big boys. There would typically be a couple names missing depending on their schedules, but these events attracted probably 80%, if not more, of the top players. Just find it really hard to believe that this was so upsetting to people that they preferred the potential destruction of professional golf.
Matsui
11:45a, 4/16/24
In reply to JCA1
this is valid
JCA1
11:46a, 4/16/24
I was curious so I went back to the 2018-19 season, which was what I would consider the last normal season before COVID and LIV. Pulled 3 random, but big name, events to see who was in the field. A sampling:

Genesis: JT, Rory, Scott, DJ, Hideki, Rahm, Cantlay, Bryson, Finau, Xander, Bubba, Tiger, Fleetwood, Kuchar, Sergio, Homa, Mickelson, Niemann, Cam Smith, Spieth, Hatton and Oostie, etc.

Bay Hill: Fitzpatrick, Fleetwood, Rory, Stenson, Bubba, Poulter, Hatton, Hideki, Kaymer, Fowler, Zach Johnson, Bryson, Niemann, Reed, McDowell, Snedeker, Rose, Mickelson, Koepka, Oostie, Lowry, and Day, etc.

Memorial: Cantlay, Scott, Kaymer, Hideki, Spieth, Tiger, Rose, Fowler, Xander, Bryson, Niemann, Hatton, Homa, Stenson, Donald, Oostie, Fitzpatrick, Rory, Kuchar, Day, Mickelson, Finau, Cam Smith, and JT, etc.

I guess if you want to quibble, each one has a guy or 2 missing. But overall, those look like pretty good events to me and I'm sure you could do this with many others. Having a hard time with the "it's worth destroying professional golf because the best weren't playing against each other" mindset.
class of 03
2:32p, 4/16/24
This was never about the big names in big fields, only about big names getting paid. Without Phil's gambling, not sure we are even here today. But he hit a big parlay with PIF.
CLOSE
Cancel
Copy Topic Link to Clipboard
Back
Copy
Page 5 of 6
Verify your student status Register
See Membership Benefits >
CLOSE
Night mode
Off
Auto-detect device settings