Has Driver Season claimed any lives?

5,963 Views | 65 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by agracer
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It got me this year. Qi10 Standard 9* x-stiff is ordered and soon to be on the way. Held out for 3 years while playing my Ping, but it was time.

Anyone else fell victim to marketing?
khaos288
AG
Not yet. I did test a head change after Christmas, but it just didn't work on the course. Back to the tsi2 for ya boy.
dcrewint
It's most likely going to hit me this year. I've been playing Titleist TS3 since it came out. While I have gamed it well I have yet to be fit for clubs in the past. I am open minded to buy from any manufacturer. I typically have stayed away from TM and Callaway drivers - the ones I have put in my hands, the clubhead just seems too bulky. That being said I did swap to SIM2 Max for hybrid and 3wood and like the move.
lazuras_dc
AG
Got a Stealth last year after going to the PGA championship and saw every single pro w a Stealth. Got me
TXAGGIES
Upgraded to ventus velacore TR blue shaft. Spin rate has improved.
E
AG
Have a fitting scheduled at Impact in a few weeks. Last time I was fit was summer 2020 and I like it, but my swing has changed alot since then.
AggieIce
AG
I still play an M4… is that bad?
Obi Wan Ginobili
Three rounds on my AI Smoke
Duckhook
AG
Did a TM fitting last weekend at my club. Qi10 with my Graphite Design shaft added about 8 yards. Not sure if that's worth it. Think I'm going to wait for a Callaway fitting day in about 6 weeks to make a decision. Currently playing a Sim2 Max.
Killin Me Smalls
AG
I'm here for the hand-me-downs
Mr.Bond
AG
Killin Me Smalls said:

JJ will be here soon
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

Killin Me Smalls
AG
All but my 3w and Hybrid are Texags buys.

Including the bag.
DannyDuberstein
AG
I view it as the time of year to buy the previous model for $200 less. Used it last year to move from G400 to G425 once the G430 hit the market
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
AggieIce said:

I still play an M4… is that bad?

I had an M2 (had to replace it after I cracked the head) that is still my favorite driver head I've ever gamed. I keep thinking about going back to it some day but the Ping I stumbled into as a replacement would be nearly impossible to replace at this point with how far I hit it. Even if it has the most horrendous high pitched sound ever conceived by man. Makes me feel like I'm playing that old school RBI Baseball video game.
khaos288
AG
Mr.Bond said:

Killin Me Smalls said:

JJ will be here soon
I feel him lurking over shoulders
Straight Talk
AG
Performance Golf, anti slice, SF1 ads are flooded my book face page. Gotta be the answer to all my problems, right? What say you TexAgs?

Kansas Kid
Is it time to upgrade from my persimmon driver?
Straight Talk
AG
Kansas Kid said:

Is it wooden shafted? Bobby Jones could hit his 250!
Kansas Kid
Straight Talk said:

Kansas Kid said:

About 180-190. Your comment reminded me of this video from Shell Wonderful World of Golf at Pine Valley between Gene Littler and Byron Nelson in 1962. Hearing the distances these guys hit it during the show compared to today tells you how far technology has come. When a 10-15 handicap can get the same distance as top pros, it says a lot.

It is also Pine Valley so if you have 50 minutes to kill, it is worth watching.

MAROON
AG
for sure technology has increased distances - and not just clubs and balls. Golf course maintenance and turf grass technology has created conditions those guys never would have imagined. The fairway shots when their golf ball is rolling looks like something you would see on a average course today
Kansas Kid
MAROON said:

for sure technology has increased distances - and not just clubs and balls. Golf course maintenance and turf grass technology has created conditions those guys never would have imagined. The fairway shots when their golf ball is rolling looks like something you would see on a average course today

That was also obvious in the video I attached above. Watching them pound the putts showed how slow the greens were.
TecRecAg
AG
New Qi10 came in and I took it to the sim.

Old driver (Ping G425 10.5* -> 9* w/ stiff shaft) was ~255 carry, ~270 total. Spin mid 3000s

New driver (Qi10 9* -> 7.5* w/ extra stiff shaft) was ~265 carry, ~290 total. Spin 2200-2500.

Club head speed was also up a ton with the Qi10. Ping feels like a sledge hammer compared to the TaylorMade.

Can't wait to get on the course this weekend!!
AggieDruggist89
AG
TecRecAg said:

Old driver (Ping G425 10.5* -> 9* w/ stiff shaft) was ~255 carry, ~270 total. Spin mid 3000s

New driver (Qi10 9* -> 7.5* w/ extra stiff shaft) was ~265 carry, ~290 total. Spin 2200-2500.

Club head speed was also up a ton with the Qi10. Ping feels like a sledge hammer compared to the TaylorMade.

That's pretty high.
TecRecAg
AG
Yeah I bought it shortly after I got in to golf. I've come to outgrow it, so the upgrade was necessary.
Mr.Bond
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

TecRecAg said:

That's pretty high.

That's extremely high. I'd venture to say if you put the same shaft in that 425 head the distance in the yards is probably less than five +/-
Im looking for Ray Finkle.... and a clean pair of shorts. Im just a very big Finkle fan. This is my Graceland, sir.

AggieDruggist89
AG
Well, I'd add that Ping 9 degree head would be better than the 10.5. I have my 9 set at small -. I'd bet tecrec wouldn't see much difference if he was using gmax 425 9 degree at the lowest loft setting.
DGrimesAg92
It's not the arrow......
DGrimesAg92
Kansas Kid said:

Straight Talk said:

Kansas Kid said:

About 180-190. Your comment reminded me of this video from Shell Wonderful World of Golf at Pine Valley between Gene Littler and Byron Nelson in 1962. Hearing the distances these guys hit it during the show compared to today tells you how far technology has come. When a 10-15 handicap can get the same distance as top pros, it says a lot.

It is also Pine Valley so if you have 50 minutes to kill, it is worth watching.

To this day, it's the hardest Golf Course I've ever played. Never broke 80 at Pine Valley and I played it more times than I can remember.
Kansas Kid
You are far from the only one that views it as the hardest course they ever played. Can you imagine playing it every week as a member? Phenomenal track and you will get your butt kicked every time.
jj9000
AG
khaos288 said:

Mr.Bond said:

Killin Me Smalls said:

JJ will be here soon
I feel him lurking over shoulders
TecRecAg
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Well, I'd add that Ping 9 degree head would be better than the 10.5. I have my 9 set at small -. I'd bet tecrec wouldn't see much difference if he was using gmax 425 9 degree at the lowest loft setting.
I should definitely add that you are probably correct about the driver head if I was using a 9* G425 thats turned down. My spin numbers and subsequent lack of distance was due to the shaft. However, since I have a friend that is now sponsored by TaylorMade, I got the Qi10 for $200. Probably would have cost the same to get my G425 fitted & reshafted so I figured newer was better.
AggieDruggist89
AG
And now how will you pass on this savings to rest of us???? Where's the TexAgs coupon code????
AggieDruggist89
AG
Kansas Kid said:

You are far from the only one that views it as the hardest course they ever played. Can you imagine playing it every week as a member? Phenomenal track and you will get your butt kicked every time.
hmmmmm....

I've read/heard that golf course design for public versus private have their share of nuances and differentiations such as private greens tend to have a bit more breaks and slopes etc. I believe that's what Jack said.

Having said that, many golfers who play at one course (not that pine valley members would be limited to this) albeit easy or hard, they eventually figure out how to play the dang course and can play it better than expected but they typically don't play as well on other courses. Difference with pros is that more often than not, this super humans can light it up everywhere they go.

I say this without having ever played PV. I'm sure I'll get my ass kicked but let me play it 100 times in one year, I think I'll do ok eventually.

Kansas Kid
AggieDruggist89 said:

Kansas Kid said:

hmmmmm....

I've read/heard that golf course design for public versus private have their share of nuances and differentiations such as private greens tend to have a bit more breaks and slopes etc. I believe that's what Jack said.

Having said that, many golfers who play at one course (not that pine valley members would be limited to this) albeit easy or hard, they eventually figure out how to play the dang course and can play it better than expected but they typically don't play as well on other courses. Difference with pros is that more often than not, this super humans can light it up everywhere they go.

I say this without having ever played PV. I'm sure I'll get my ass kicked but let me play it 100 times in one year, I think I'll do ok eventually.

Without a doubt, if you play a course repeatedly, you learn how to play it and the subtleties of the course, especially the greens. That said, I know a national member at PV who goes out to play 4-5 times a year and has been doing this for a few decades who says it is still one of the hardest courses for him and this guy has played just about every top course around. The guy was a low single digit handicap for most of his adult life.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Kansas Kid said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

Kansas Kid said:

hmmmmm....

Without a doubt, if you play a course repeatedly, you learn how to play it and the subtleties of the course, especially the greens. That said, I know a national member at PV who goes out to play 4-5 times a year and has been doing this for a few decades who says it is still one of the hardest courses for him and this guy has played just about every top course around. The guy was a low single digit handicap for most of his adult life.
No doubt.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.