driver head dull/dead suddenly

1,288 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by pbrancazio
Southside AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
During my round yesterday my driver seemed to lose pop and started sounding different and feeling dull/dead on my tee shots. Even my playing partner thought it sounded off. Front nine seemed fine but back nine lost 10-20% distance. I'll take it to the driving range later to test if it was my swing that day or not but curious if this is a thing? No visible damage, interior rattles or cracks. Just normal wear for a 3 year old driver.

My driver Callaway Rogue ST Max. I've already contacted PGA tour store where purchased and he said they were a licensed dealer and can help get it check out and handle any warranty claims with Callaway. Just bad timing for the club championship In a few days. I've never heard of a driver going dead without visible cracking or rattle on the inside. Is this a thing that happens?
DGrimesAg92
Bad timing? Sounds like perfect timing to go buy a new one.
Mateo84
AG
Did you change golf balls? That can make a big difference.
Southside AG
AG
I did however the new ball was not an issue on the front nine or with irons through the day. I usually play AVX and Q Star Tour. I played chrome soft last round which was the new ball. Shouldn't have been an issue as it has similar compression and characteristics with the other ball.
Aggie369
AG
There could easily be a Crack in face u can't see or the face could have "caved in" or gone flat in one area

Put a credit card edge on the face and make sure there is still a curvature to the face
Southside AG
AG
PGA tour store checked it out and no issues found. I hit in the bay and see normal ball speed for my driver. Went to range today and seemed fine maybe I had a bad ball? Could've just been my swing that day I guess. Just real strange.
CyclingAg82
AG
Southside AG said:

PGA tour store checked it out and no issues found. I hit in the bay and see normal ball speed for my driver. Went to range today and seemed fine maybe I had a bad ball? Could've just been my swing that day I guess. Just real strange.
You still need a new one.....the rubicon has been crossed.
leachfan
Okay, I'll say it. Was the driver "broke in" properly when first used?
pbrancazio
AG
Check the expiration date.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.