Bryson plays Dallas National with a rolled back golf ball

3,685 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 23 days ago by BoDog
'03ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
bowhuntr
I can't watch him - I tried.

AgBQ-00
AG
So this will be a dumb question. What are they trying to accomplish by putting more restrictions on the balls?
TXAGGIES
stop having guys just bomb it over hazards, trouble etc. Make they "kinda" play the course like it was designed to be played versus adding new tee boxes and playing it at 8,300 yards.
CyclingAg82
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

So this will be a dumb question. What are they trying to accomplish by putting more restrictions on the balls?
Pissing most of us off. What % of the general golfing population hits it so far that rolling back matters?

It's BS. 2% maybe. I don't see a lot of courses in this area wanting to buy more land to lengthen the courses, because us hackers are bombing it.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
It's time for bifurcation.
Duckhook
AG
Marauder Blue 6 said:

It's time for bifurcation.

I completely agree, but it's not going to happen. Unless the USGA starts producing golf balls, which manufacturer is going to spend money on developing a ball that nobody uses but the pros or elite amateurs that make up 1% (or whatever small amount it is) of the ball buying market?
Golf1
AG
3:45 point... 260 yards left into a par 5.
"I'm going to take a little off a 5 wood"
*Hits ball*
"That ball needs to go. oh sit!"

"I could've hit a 6 iron there"

How do you go from hitting a 5 wood to a 6 iron from 260.

Bryson probably could be a likable fun guy to watch if he never opened his mouth.
TXAGGIES
Nm
AggieDruggist89
AG
I like Bryson.

I don't like watching someone else golf...let alone for 26 minutes.

So what's the consensus on the ball? I need to know.
RogerFurlong
AggieDruggist89 said:

I like Bryson.

It's shorter. I watched a few minutes of it. I believe it spins a little more too.
RogerFurlong
Golf1 said:

3:45 point... 260 yards left into a par 5.
"I'm going to take a little off a 5 wood"
*Hits ball*
"That ball needs to go. oh sit!"

"I could've hit a 6 iron there"

How do you go from hitting a 5 wood to a 6 iron from 260.

Bryson probably could be a likable fun guy to watch if he never opened his mouth.
When your 6 iron is more like a 3 iron. All his clubs are at weird lofts because of the single length shafts. So when he says he's hitting a pitching wedge 180 yards it's more like an 8 iron.
98Ag99Grad
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

I like Bryson.

It was shorter by 5-6% in his estimation. he did a lot of beeching but still drove a par 4 green and was relatively straight with his drives. Ironically the area where it seemed to matter most was around the greens. His chipping suffered more than his long game IMO.

And this ball was just an old Nike One Tour, not one the companies have developed for the roll back so its not all equal. And they have maintained that amateurs who swing like mortals will probably not see much of change if any at all. Still a few years to go on this.
CyclingAg82
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I like Bryson.

It was shorter by 5-6% in his estimation. he did a lot of beeching but still drove a par 4 green and was relatively straight with his drives. Ironically the area where it seemed to matter most was around the greens. His chipping suffered more than his long game IMO.

And this ball was just an old Nike One Tour, not one the companies have developed for the roll back so its not all equal. And they have maintained that amateurs who swing like mortals will probably not see much of change if any at all. Still a few years to go on this.
This is where my common sense view of what the governing bodies are saying, makes me scratch my head.

How could it not affect the distance of us recreational golfers? Makes me question the physics / energy transfer analysis that they are pushing. Again, I don't know...it just doesn't compute.
98Ag99Grad
AG
I think their stance is you won't see a big enough reduction to notice at swing speeds around 100 or so. But we won't know anything until testing starts. Still long ways to go so I'm not losing any sleep over this for now.
TXAGGIES
CyclingAg82 said:

98Ag99Grad said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

I like Bryson.

This is where my common sense view of what the governing bodies are saying, makes me scratch my head.

How could it not affect the distance of us recreational golfers? Makes me question the physics / energy transfer analysis that they are pushing. Again, I don't know...it just doesn't compute.

B/C most amateurs can't compress a golf ball for crap
Funky Winkerbean
AG
He fails to mention that it's the same for everybody. He makes it seem like it only affects him.
The Milkman
AG
He makes the case perfectly for why the roll back is needed (on accident). He said "wow with my regular ball those would have just gone straight".

So yeah. He put a bad swing or mi**** it a bit and it went sideways on him instead of just pounding straight.
98Ag99Grad
AG
The Milkman said:

He makes the case perfectly for why the roll back is needed (on accident). He said "wow with my regular ball those would have just gone straight".

So yeah. He put a bad swing or mi**** it a bit and it went sideways on him instead of just pounding straight.
Muy
AG
Something something compression blah blah blah curvature.

I did enjoy watching 5 minutes of it and seeing him blast his drives.
MW03
AG
Give them all wooden drivers , outlaw GCQuads, make them wear suits and ties, ban weight lifting, and make them all take up smoking while we're at it
aggiebonzo
AG
Muy said:

So watching pros hit golf balls that go ten yards less is still enjoyable?
Muy
AG
aggiebonzo said:

Muy said:

So watching pros hit golf balls that go ten yards less is still enjoyable?

It's still 100 yards longer than me.
oldschool87
AG
MW03 said:

Give them all wooden drivers , outlaw GCQuads, make them wear suits and ties, ban weight lifting, and make them all take up smoking while we're at it
John Daly would clean house!
MW03
AG

I am certainly not one of the 1.6 MM viewers that sought out this video on the PGA Tour's channel. In fact, it disgusts me as a traditionalist. Put a sport coat on him, and DeChambeau couldn't hold Old Tom Morris' jock!
BCR
Have real rough and make them find their own ball. When people mark the area where their ball lands they have no reason to hit fairways.
E King Trill
AG
bowhuntr said:

I can't watch him - I tried.

He's such a tool
MW03
AG
BCR said:

Have real rough and make them find their own ball. When people mark the area where their ball lands they have no reason to hit fairways.

Truth. Plus imagine the anxiety watching at home, knowing where a ball has landed, and watching a pro and his caddy walk right past it while hunting on the clock.

It'd be like one of those movie scenes where a guy is going through sniper school and the dude is like "Sniper at your feet" only for the player to find a discarded Kirkland.
Hubert J. Farnsworth
BCR said:

That would slow down the pace of play so much.
BCR
Hubert J. Farnsworth said:

BCR said:

That would slow down the pace of play so much.
Not if they hit the fairway.
BoDog
AG
I know I am in the minority, but I have always kind of liked him and/or his oddness. Maybe because I despise Keopka so much...?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.