Bones and JT Split

2,066 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 24 days ago by JYDog90
SouthAustinAgSwag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
JT announced it on social media. I'll be interested to see who is on his bag in Augusta
safety guy
AG
The pairing did not work for either one. Don't know what the financial agreement was but missing cut after cut likely was not what bones signed up for leaving a nice gig on nbc. JT's game fell off the radar in the last year plus with bones on his bag. Don't know where the blame lies, but jt's game is so far away from where it was 2 years ago. Even when he won the pga in 22, it was not like he had a great 4 rounds. It was that he had a good 4th round and everyone else cratering. But he really had not come close to winning a tournament since and seems to have multiple blow up holes or rounds. His iron play used to be the best and now it is average and his putting is terrible.
Marauder Blue 6
AG
Could Bones be going back to Phil?
aggiedent
AG
It's not like he's terrible……just kinda mediocre…….

Last 7 tournaments.

One top 3.
Two top 10.
Four top 25.
Two missed cuts.
The 7th was a tie 64.
Tailgate88
AG
Don't know what he would/should make as a caddy vs as a broadcaster but it sure seems broadcaster would be the easier gig.
cab559
AG
aggiedent said:

Last 7 tournaments.

One top 3.
Two top 10.
Four top 25.
Two missed cuts.
The 7th was a tie 64.
That's not mediocre by his standards. The PGAT fields are trash.
JCA1
AG
safety guy said:

The pairing did not work for either one. Don't know what the financial agreement was but missing cut after cut likely was not what bones signed up for leaving a nice gig on nbc. JT's game fell off the radar in the last year plus with bones on his bag. Don't know where the blame lies, but jt's game is so far away from where it was 2 years ago. Even when he won the pga in 22, it was not like he had a great 4 rounds. It was that he had a good 4th round and everyone else cratering. But he really had not come close to winning a tournament since and seems to have multiple blow up holes or rounds. His iron play used to be the best and now it is average and his putting is terrible.

He's definitely fallen off the last year or so but, I'm sorry, downplaying his major is ridiculous. You can't win a major without playing some damn good golf. Getting it done on Sunday is a big part of what separates major winners from major losers.
safety guy
AG
JCA1 said:

safety guy said:

He's definitely fallen off the last year or so but, I'm sorry, downplaying his major is ridiculous. You can't win a major without playing some damn good golf. Getting it done on Sunday is a big part of what separates major winners from major losers.

JT is a guy that has more titles than anyone currently playing regularly on the pga tour outside of Rory. He should be in his prime right now. But he seems to be a train wreck on the course. Whether it is mental, physical, or whatever something's not right. I think he needs a new coach but that's a hard call to make. He used to hit his mid and short irons within 5 to 10 ft of the cup. Now he seldom is close. He regularly has blow up holes or rounds that take him out of contention. Over the last 2 years he has seldom been on the leaderboard on Sunday. I'm not downplaying his pga title, he had a good last round. But as he was featured on Full Swing, he gave credit to Mito Pereira. Hey, I hope he gets it back along with Spieth. He has been my favorite player for the past 8 or 9 years and it is painful to watch at times. So maybe changing caddies will help because it definitely was not working for either party.
cab559
AG
I honestly think JT's biggest problem right now is his inability to chug a beer.

Flash02
He hired Patrick Cantley's caddy. That's all I know.
jja79
AG
Didn't he get married?
98Ag99Grad
AG
His old caddie, Matt Minister. Lacava is still on Cantlays bag.
HeyAbbott
AG
Yes
jja79
AG
That's the problem.
Ezra Brooks
AG
jja79 said:

That's the problem.
It may get worse before it gets better - I think they may have a kid on the way (though very well may be wrong on that)
AgLA06
AG
aggiedent said:

Last 7 tournaments.

One top 3.
Two top 10.
Four top 25.
Two missed cuts.
The 7th was a tie 64.
Look at the 30 before that and it's uglier.

When your billed as a top name on the tour including questionable Ryder Cup invites because of your buddy and previous branding, but perform the way he has, it doesn't seem as average.

Bones handled Phil, so we we know he can deal with eccentric people as long as they back it up with play. JT's whining had to get old. At least with Phil is was upbeat and more hold my beer and watch this. Although I'm sure the gambling got old.
aggiedent
AG
Agreed. On that old post discussing captains picks for the Ryder cup, I was firmly in the camp that thought it was a mistake picking him.

Game was in rough shape and he and his putter looked like enemies.
cb1919
AG
AgLA06 said:

aggiedent said:

Last 7 tournaments.

One top 3.
Two top 10.
Four top 25.
Two missed cuts.
The 7th was a tie 64.
Look at the 30 before that and it's uglier.

When your billed as a top name on the tour including questionable Ryder Cup invites because of your buddy and previous branding, but perform the way he has, it doesn't seem as average.

Bones handled Phil, so we we know he can deal with eccentric people as long as they back it up with play. JT's whining had to get old. At least with Phil is was upbeat and more hold my beer and watch this. Although I'm sure the gambling got old.

He had one bad year….

The season before included a PGA championship, top 10 against the Masters, and T5 at the Tour Championship.
JYDog90
AG
Ezra Brooks said:

jja79 said:

That's the problem.
It may get worse before it gets better - I think they may have a kid on the way (though very well may be wrong on that)

Nah, all that perspective will do him some good.
Formerly Willy Wonka
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.