Miura vs Mizuno

2,875 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Lt. Joe Bookman
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I can probably get 3 sets of Mizuno for one single Miura iron. Not sure what would make Miura that much better than the Mizuno. If anything, it appears this beautiful Miura design was inspired by the 27 year old Mizuno T-zoid.

I admit I believe the buttery smooth feel of blade irons result from muscle back design and both Miura and Mizuno take it to the extreme by placing a bunch of weight behind the sweet spot.

AgBQ-00
AG
Those are clean looking Mizunos. Am I to assume you just got a set of them?
AggieDruggist89
AG
No, I have another variant set of T-zoid. Those T-zoid Trues can be found easily. And it being Mizuno forged, it can be refinished easily I bet.

Im always tempted to pick up a set.
Unemployed
AG
https://mizunogolf.com/us/blog/azalea-edition-mizuno-pro-241-irons/

AggieDruggist89
AG
It's just wrong to make pretty irons like that
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
I love my MP4's and would love to own the miura's but can't justify the spend. God they are sexy tho
aggiedent
AG
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno said:

I love my MP4's and would love to own the miura's but can't justify the spend. God they are sexy tho

God bless your little heart…….you need a girlfriend.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
Flushing a Mizuno or Miura blade is pure orgasmic
AggieDruggist89
AG

Still the second best feeling
GoAgs92
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Still the second best feeling
Is it like hitting a homer in softball?
1208HawkTree
AG
Ahh, Mizuno T-Zoids. Those were some of the best feeling irons I've ever hit. Just curious, why did you choose a 25-year old set to cite?
AggieDruggist89
AG
I'm still using Tzoid Sure irons.
aggiedent
AG
Somebody believes that the marketing propaganda for the latest generations of golf clubs is nothing more than false hope.
DargelSkout
AG
I recently bought two used Miura wedges for $70/piece. They're in great shape and the best wedges I've ever hit. I wouldn't buy them for $300 new, but I feel like I got a steal on these used wedges.
AggieDruggist89
AG
aggiedent said:

Somebody believes that the marketing propaganda for the latest generations of golf clubs is nothing more than false hope.

Truth!
1208HawkTree
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

aggiedent said:

Truth!

Quite the opposite. My irons are nearly 20 years old. I don't think a club in my bag is less than 5 years old, actually.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Look what I'm tinkering with. Another 25 year old set, maybe older. If youve been a golfer for a while, you know exactly what this is. What makes this club special is the Low COG, VAS (vibration absorbing system) plate, but not the hideous original VAS Corey Pavin won the US Open with, and sensicore shaft.

This club is probably the most buttery smooth iron ever. Spec isn't terribly outdated with 45 deg PW but not jacked with hot spot hollow face either. Ball comes off with alot of spin and apex is high.

Paid $119 for 3-PW.

Wont get in the bag now but it might later.

AggieDruggist89
AG
1208HawkTree said:

AggieDruggist89 said:

aggiedent said:

Truth!

Quite the opposite. My irons are nearly 20 years old. I don't think a club in my bag is less than 5 years old, actually.
Atta boy.

I thought AggieDent was picking on me.
TJH_16
AG
I got a set of TA7's I got around 2011 I think. Are these updated versions of the TA5's if you have background knowledge on them? I tried researching my own but didn't find much on the timeline of the production of them
AggieDruggist89
AG
TA7 was released in 2002 and TA5 around 2000. They're similar clubs.
TJH_16
AG
Thanks, I have been looking at different sets of old blades lately from Hogans, Mizuno's to Wilson's. Just not sure I want to sell these Cleveland's and get a blade that doesn't feel as great. It's just a spare set for me now but I like the thought of maybe practicing with blades every now and then to see if I can play them
DargelSkout
AG
Have you seen these for sale? https://texags.com/forums/60/topics/3452058/replies/67244650#67244650
AggieDruggist89
AG
I look here to look up the specs, loft, lie etc.

https://www.golfclubspec.com/irons.php

Then I look here for more specific specs of the head.

https://www.golfworks.com/head-mpf-ratings/

Maltby Playability Factor is heavily argued where many golfers completely deny the validity of the data especially if their irons don't fit the MPF they think. Then again, there aren't whole lot of data on playability and forgiveness of golf clubs other than advertisement, anecdotes, and individual reviews by online personalities etc.

I look at the location of COG because it gives me an idea how easily I can get the ball up in the air. I also look at the MOI but I don't believe MPF provides an accurate MOI as it measures physical dimensions of the clubhead and not the actual torque/twist value on off center hits. In the absence of credible rating system of golf club playability comparisons, MPF I believe provides decent data that can help you start to narrow down your golf club selection.

Some will claim "how can my muscle back blade has better playability than this game improvement perimeter weighted shovel set? MPF is a joke!! But if you look at the specs, those game improvement irons may have the design features to look forgiving yet has a very high center of gravity etc.

Hopefully you can find an old set of blades to tool around with.

TJH_16
AG
Yes I saw them a while back, still looking around and researching different options.
TJH_16
AG
Thanks for the MPF link, got researching and learning to do now!
AggieDruggist89
AG
Here's the methodology. And you can form your own opinion and or focus on certain measures.

https://www.golfworks.com/method-of-determining-mpf/
DargelSkout
AG
That's interesting stuff. I wouldn't have thought my Mizuno MP18 SC's would be considered a Player Classic iron.

I do feel like my new TM P770's are more forgiving than my Mizunos, and the numbers agree with that.

TMfrisco
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

Look what I'm tinkering with. Another 25 year old set, maybe older. If youve been a golfer for a while, you know exactly what this is. What makes this club special is the Low COG, VAS (vibration absorbing system) plate, but not the hideous original VAS Corey Pavin won the US Open with, and sensicore shaft.

This club is probably the most buttery smooth iron ever. Spec isn't terribly outdated with 45 deg PW but not jacked with hot spot hollow face either. Ball comes off with alot of spin and apex is high.

Paid $119 for 3-PW.

Wont get in the bag now but it might later.

Are Sensicore shafts made anymore? I have a set of Mizuno's I had built with SensiCore Lites and love those shafts, but can't find them anymore.
AggieDruggist89
AG
TT no longer makes Sensicore inserted shafts. I thought it was due to rust inside the shaft and it would break.

But you can get Sensicore like shock dampening inserts pretty cheap. I have em in all my steel shaft clubs except putter. It definitely changes the feel of the club; muted and gets rid of the sharp sting on bad hits.

If I was playing blades, I'd double up on the insert. I'm just not a good ball striker. I do hit em all over the face, even the putter. Put me on a golf course where there are no even lies except the tee-boxes, every part of the club face is a fair game for me.

I need forgiving clubhead and shock dampening technology.
G Martin 87
AG
Golfworks has some neat club tools on their site. If you love the idea of MPF, here's the iron list sorted by MPF. (No surprise that Maltby's own designs dominate the top of the list, LOL.)

https://store-k9nvqai7wz.mybigcommerce.com/content/PDFs/Head_MPFs/MPFRatingsChart.pdf
AggieDruggist89
AG
Pretty cool! I've not seen that summary. I think it's pretty easy to design a high MPF clubhead. Low COG and high MOI, typically seen in Callaway irons.

I'd love to see an iron byron test of irons focusing on mis-hits. But no manufacturer will support this...as their "player's clubs" will most likely perform poorly and it will also show every new model release and new technology don't really deliver their marketing hype!
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
I actually had a set of those TA5s in high school and college and loved them.

Mine were the non-gun metals though. Those Cleveland gunmetals were always beautiful when they were new but looked crappy after playing them for a while, imo.
Trinity Ag
S
AggieDruggist89 said:

Pretty cool! I've not seen that summary. I think it's pretty easy to design a high MPF clubhead. Low COG and high MOI, typically seen in Callaway irons.

I'd love to see an iron byron test of irons focusing on mis-hits. But no manufacturer will support this...as their "player's clubs" will most likely perform poorly and it will also show every new model release and new technology don't really deliver their marketing hype!
Definitely.

Kind of like how many club-fitters like to screen out mi****s -- and focus on relative performance on high quality strikes.

When it is performance on moderate mi****s that make the biggest scoring difference.
AggieDruggist89
AG
I will confidently say my entire golf experience is all about mis-hits.

More playable mis-hits in a round, better I score.

I never ever hit a perfect shot. Even a one foot putt, I will mis-hit it albeit it most likely will go in the hole.
TMfrisco
AG
AggieDruggist89 said:

TT no longer makes Sensicore inserted shafts. I thought it was due to rust inside the shaft and it would break.

But you can get Sensicore like shock dampening inserts pretty cheap. I have em in all my steel shaft clubs except putter. It definitely changes the feel of the club; muted and gets rid of the sharp sting on bad hits.

If I was playing blades, I'd double up on the insert. I'm just not a good ball striker. I do hit em all over the face, even the putter. Put me on a golf course where there are no even lies except the tee-boxes, every part of the club face is a fair game for me.

I need forgiving clubhead and shock dampening technology.
Thanks, I'll look into them.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.