Does the LPGA bleed cash?

1,034 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 17 days ago by Buford T. Justice
Muy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The VOA tourney at the Golf Clubs at the Tribute was finally cancelled after the tourney's title sponsor went bankrupt, and no sponsors stepped into take over.

Just wondering how financially stable the league is. I can only assume the LPGA has greater viewership and attendance than something like the WNBA but that's just my gut feel.
Kansas Kid
WNBA has better viewership. The LPGA struggles because they are frequently not on TV, when they are, they are usually on the golf channel and most of their tournaments are going head to head with PGA events at the same time.

At least the WNBA isn't going against the NBA. Also, a lot more people watch basketball than golf in the first place.

The LPGA struggles to keep sponsors for many tournaments because of the lack of exposure. I don't know how the governing body is doing financially but I doubt it is a big money making machine.
Muy
AG
Just looked up winnings between PGA and LPGA, 20th place in the PGA has made $2.1 Million, 20th in the LPGA is $127k.
Matsui
AG
I know the senior tour loses a ton
Kansas Kid
Matsui said:

I know the senior tour loses a ton

It would likely start doing better if Tiger played in it once he is eligible but other than the US Senior Open and maybe the Senior Open, I can't see him playing the tour even if his body was healthy.
khaos288
AG
I think LPGA needs to move to a counter PGA schedule. That's their only hope. Overlapping days, are too much competition. There's not enough golf eyeballs to go around for both. Maybe schedule their majors on weekends that PGA is off or scheduled for one of the lesser events.
Buford T. Justice
AG
I really enjoy watching the LPGA, as the pros swings are so effortless and smooth. I wish that there were blended events with the PGA, PGA Champions Tour, and the LPGA. I would watch that, especially in the time of year that is quickly approaching. I heavily watch the PGA until this time of year. I won't watch again until the U.S. Open and the British. Then will pick it back up when the playoffs are about to start.
"Gimme a diablo sandwhich and a dr. pepper...to go"
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.