aerating/advice Harbour Town

1,019 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by basketball13
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Just got online to book a round there for June (wedding anniversary trip), and they are scheduled to aereate the week before. How bad will the greens be a week later? Is it worth still playing, or wait for another time?

FWIW it appears green fees are only reduced about $50.

any other courses near Savannah worthy of a play as I will only have a pass from the wife for one round.
aggiebonzo
AG
I've played before and it's a great course but for the money I don't think it would be worth it to play a week after aeration. The greens are great and I think it will takeaway from the overall experience if every putt is a guess on how it will react through all the holes filled with sand.
E
AG
I enjoyed my round at HT, but wouldn't pay alot of money to play on any aerated greens... HT was cool but there are plenty of other courses on the island that are cheaper and nice.

TMfrisco
AG
Lots of great courses around Savannah. Westin Savannah Harbor. The Landings.
trip98
AG
playing ANY course a week after being punched means you might as well not even bother putting. Hit on the green and count your two putt and move on.

I'd check other courses....if HT is punching....the others are likely to be as well
StEdsCOOG
I'd give them a call and ask for their opinion. Played there in July '22 shortly after they had been punched and it wasn't bad at all. We had our doubts about playing there but they were spot on with what they told us and had we no issues with the conditions.
AggieDruggist89
AG
Hell no,
AustinCountyAg
StEdsCOOG said:

I'd give them a call and ask for their opinion. Played there in July '22 shortly after they had been punched and it wasn't bad at all. We had our doubts about playing there but they were spot on with what they told us and had we no issues with the conditions.
did they give any kind of reduced rate?
AustinCountyAg
TMfrisco said:

I thought about the Westin, but reviews online seem like it's just a typical resort course. nothing special?
TMfrisco
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

TMfrisco said:

I thought about the Westin, but reviews online seem like it's just a typical resort course. nothing special?
I would say better than "Nothing Special". I didn't see you wanted to play somewhere "special".

There are a ton of "special" courses(private) in the HH/Bluffton area - but you would have to know someone or if you are a member of a club get your pro to make a call.

If Harbor Town is where you want to play, I wouldn't be overly concerned about the aerification. My guess, at a resort course like that, they either have their process down to a science to minimize disruption or it is going to be a small hole aerification. Big dollar courses like that are generally pretty good at the process because they know it costs them money. Usually, within a week, the greens won't be perfect, but they will be reasonably good.

Make a call and ask what size tines they are aerifying with. If they are using larger than 3/8" tines you will probably be disappointed with the conditions. 1/4" tines and you might not even notice after a week. 3/8" and they will be ok, but not great. Bigger than that, $50 is not enough of a discount.

Also, if staying in Savannah, HT will be well over an hour drive both ways. Heck, its probably at least 20 minutes once you cross the bridge if there is any traffic at all. If you are trying to get on the island during morning commute it might be longer than that.
StEdsCOOG
AustinCountyAg said:

StEdsCOOG said:

did they give any kind of reduced rate?

Sorry but I don't recall as we did a stay and play so our rates were already reduced.
Bunk Moreland
From 2 years ago...

Quote:

I'd be surprised if it wasn't really nice. I'm a member of Wexford golf club here on HHI and our greens clear up insanely fast, harbor town about the same. Although harbor town gets a lot more play but don't expect super sandy greens or anything like that. They do a good job clearing them up. Still worth the money! Play Atlantic dunes too if you have time, it's a fun course.

Quote:

I played mid august last year. I think it was maybe 3wks after being aerated. Wasn't an issue at all imo. Definitely wasn't sandy. They do a great job.

Quote:

I played Harbour Town last August shortly after aeration. I would say still worth playing, little remnants of sand noticeable on the greens, but overall course conditions were top notch. Second others comments, Atlantic Dunes and Heron Point are great tracks as well. I would recommend Old South Links just off the island too, great course for the price.
https://www.reddit.com/r/golf/comments/ucmudy/harbour_town_aerification_august/
Legend
AG
Agree on the distance from Savannah but if you don't mind the drive I have always enjoyed harbor town. If Atlantic Dunes isn't being punched I would play that course. It's very fun. Doesn't have the PGA like HT but is a great course. The other public access courses in HH are fine but I wouldn't drive from SAV to play them. I'm sure there is something closer that will be just as good.
basketball13
AG
I was there last week and obviously couldn't get on Harbour Town so can't give any advice there, but Atlantic Dunes was in incredible shape and a fun course. Played Heron Point as well and liked it, just slightly less than Dunes. If you are worried about Harbour Town, I'd check out Dunes for a similar price/experience.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.